Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanna get my first AK but i dont have a whole ton of money to spend. if possible, i wanna try to keep it around 500. from what ive seen people say to stay Century Arms, why is that? ive been looking around, and is this AK a good deal/price. thanks for any help that yall can give me!

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
i wanna try to keep it around 500. from what ive seen people say to stay Century Arms, why is that?

because they wanna feel better about buying an arsenal or saiga.

nothing is wrong with a CAI wasr. If I was in the market I would not hesitate to buy another one.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Century is good, but would recommend you do some inspection on it before you commit. Probably not possible if you buy online. It would help if you can pick one yourself. Things I normally look for when inspecting an AK would be canted front sights and rear sights, bolt action (glides easily). Probably not an issue with new production AKs, but if you end up getting some parts kit build or even a used one, check the condition of the barrel and check for rust. You might need to do a quick field strip and look at the entire piston, gas block, gas tube and make sure they're clean.

There's a bunch of AK's available online on the cheap < $500. The usual online places:

Centerfire Systems, Inc. - Your Home For Ammo, Firearms, Magazines, and Gun Accessories
AIM Surplus Home

·
Registered
803 Posts
i wanna get my first AK but i dont have a whole ton of money to spend. if possible, i wanna try to keep it around 500. from what ive seen people say to stay Century Arms, why is that? ive been looking around, and is this AK a good deal/price. thanks for any help that yall can give me!

Arms Of America

Everything you see in the pic came from Arms of America, except the salt..lol.They have the best deals!! I bought my Saiga 7.62x39, fast service, great quality. Good rifle for $349.00, bought some extra mags, handgaurd, mag cllamp every transaction was smooth no issues, small company and I trust them.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Arms Of America

Everything you see in the pic came from Arms of America, except the salt..lol.They have the best deals!! I bought my Saiga 7.62x39, fast service, great quality. Good rifle for $349.00, bought some extra mags, handgaurd, mag cllamp every transaction was smooth no issues, small company and I trust them.

yeah but it needs converted. the wasr is good to go right out of the box. everything an AK should be. (except select fire :evil:)

·
Registered
803 Posts
yeah but it needs converted. the wasr is good to go right out of the box. everything an AK should be. (except select fire :evil:)
Yes very true, but you cant compare WASR quality vs Saiga quality, would rather throw my greenbacks down on a Saiga over WASR any day, I have owned both WASR and Saiga, 349.00 plus about 100 bucks to convert it..449.00 and you have a better quality rifle in my opinion...and agin..this is my opionion

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a Century Arms Polish AKMS, the underfolding kind. Got it for less than $500. I have had a wonderful experience with it. The key to getting a decent AK is to stay away from WASRs and to BE SURE TO LOOK AT IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT. Centerfire Systems has some Bulgarian (which are very good AKs) SSR-85C-2Ps for $399.99, which is a steal!

I recommend this:
HI-CAP Bulgarian AK-47 7.62x39 #AKAGUN-SSR85C-HC
My buddy has one, let me shoot it, and I fell in love a second time haha

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Yes very true, but you cant compare WASR quality vs Saiga quality, would rather throw my greenbacks down on a Saiga over WASR any day, I have owned both WASR and Saiga, 349.00 plus about 100 bucks to convert it..449.00 and you have a better quality rifle in my opinion...and agin..this is my opionion

I think you CAN compare a recent wasr to a saiga in quality. a good running wasr will do everything a good running saiga will do and a wasr will do it out of the box. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
that's true. I think its funny that a saiga/arsenal needs special parts yet owners claim they are the "real" AK built in russia and a wasr is the knockoff when it will interchange with any AKM. lol
It's because people want to defend their $800 baby when it won't work come the time when the SHTF ;)

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have a Rommy Underfolder , once I replaced the mag catch ( guy musta been on some good drugs cause he shaved down way to much causing the mags to drop down and not chamber a round ) it runs like a raped ape, eats it all and begs for more.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard to find. Buddy of mine picked up a Romanian at a local gun shop for right at $400. He traded in an old Ruger pistol he never shot anymore so he was only out of pocket about two hundred(ish) for it.
You should have plenty of options with $500, should be able to score a rifle and some ammo to go with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts