Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on getting a good sight picture with both eyes open recently and for some reason it occurred to me to test my eye dominance again. I've tested it on and off over the years and consistently came up right eyed. But weirdly, today it's been coming up left on the "peephole with the hands" test, but right when I do the "point at something and close an eye" test.

Is my eye dominance shifting? Has anyone heard of such a thing? Also, which test, if any, is more definitive for eye dominance?

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
My eye dominance changed a few years ago, I am right handed and now left eye dominant. I and my eye doctor think it is related to a cataract. I still shoot right handed, just tilt my head into my right shoulder and align my sights up with my left eye. Pistol shooting still works, rifle not so much.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
i'm fighting that problem right now, but mine is b/c i'm an old guy (56) and my right eye in the 'reading glasses' area has become weaker - maybe b/c of my use of readign glasses all the time? but when i increase the PC screen to 125 or 150% mag w/o glasses i can tell right away that my right eye is a lot more fuzzy than my left...so, i think it is b/c the left one sees clearer now - esp close up like a gun sight picture.

i say check to see if your weak hand side EYE is seeing closer objects better now? how old are you? when you hit 40 and if you had 20/10 all your life, your eye muscles weaken and you have to start wearing reading glasses or get on a midevil rack and get your arms lengthed - that will do it too!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
See an eye doc as here may be any eye problem you are not aware of.
you know, i think that is probably the best advice you've gotten yet. i read somewhere that your eyes are like the canary in the coal mine and some eye drs have spotted stuff that lead someone to a heart dr and saved their life...seems like the eyes, the blood vessels or something would indicate a body fixing to start breaking down in other places. yep, go spend less than a bill (or 2) and see what's up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.