Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm jealous. Someday I'll go on a pig hunt. I thought Michigan was going to have a wild pig problem a few years ago, but now it seems as if they've all disappeared.

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well... Been playing with the ATN... Other than being gigantic, nothing to complain about. Like I said before, it weighs the same as others, it's not heavy its just large. My ATN mount came in so I swapped out the rings. I finally got to the range.

So far, the quality battery has lasted a while. It doesn't need to stay on, just ranging something. But so far it hadn't killed this one playing around a bit. The battery in the ATN 4K... Ya, that last forever. It was down to half. I can easily see it going all day

So.... "One shot zero". Ya, one shot. Digital scopes are pretty nice. Send one, and zero by keeping reference where you aimed, and move reticle where it hit. Done. My 1x6 isn't exactly for precision work... The 5x20 4K..

20200508_193529.jpg

5 shots of Hornady SST at 100. Close enough for government work. The only thing I don't get time to play with is the "recoil activated video". I might get to the range again before leaving. But I'm set. I've never shot at night let alone hunted at night. I'm pretty excited for next week... Right now it looks like there might be rain...

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
First night, 5 raccoons. Next night... Severe weather. Chance it misses us, clears up... It didn't. I'm wet, not too bad. Pig sticks his head out, but that's it. I'm waiting for him to come back... Then I notice my scope is off... It's froze, locked up. Tried every botton/combo imaginable can't turn the thing off. Don't know if my reticle is off. Might not be.

Finally, it starts raining again, it's not letting up. My illuminator is dead. I change batteries by feel. Rain isn't letting up. Done for the night... Start packing up, making noise, used flashlight. Look out, 10 pigs. 2 big boars. No idea what my scope is, but I shoot... No clue where my bullet went... Not on target.

Next night, cool, perfect weather... 8 hours, nothing. When I leave 2 deer and that's it. No pig. My coworker got one 1st night. Of course I Google... Hard kill is push power button 15 seconds. I tried that several time, didn't work. I know I must have pushed it 12-13-14 seconds cause I pushed it "forever" in the blind. So in hindsight, 1st Google hit would have told me, but I didn't want to use my phone cause I was waiting for pig to comeback. Pretty bummed. I got nothing. I know "hunting" is no guarantee... But this is shooting pigs at a feeder....

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So is it back up and running? I love gadgets, but it sucks when your toys don't work.
So, ya... ATNs freezing is a "thing". Especially when they were first released. 2 years ago. I even checked for firmware before I left and there was an update and I updated it. It's never done it to me. Basically it got a little wet, but I don't even think it was that. It got nothing but surface wet... which it can handle.

It froze when it was standing in the corner. I noticed first because my angle, and declination numbers were jacked. So I did not think I "lost my zero", but I didn't know if the calculator used the jacked up numbers when it froze... well, it did. And I'm pretty sure I didn't even hit the pig. He never staggered, jumped, stumbled... they all just scattered. Dog never picked up blood. 30 seconds on google, or a couple more seconds on the power button, I would have put him down.

So overall, yes... turned it off, turned it on, good to go. I reloaded my profile just to be sure, but no more problems.... and no more pigs.

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So just a little something on the ATN 4K Pro... It's really nice. The ATN and Sight Mark are neck and neck. The ATN is ridiculously big, SM is much more compact. They weight the same. My picture on my ATN is much more stable than my buddies Wraith. Much less jumpy.

one big reason I got the 4K... big honkin battery. I was out first night for 7 hours. I let it run all night just to see. I had another batter pack with me. Supposedly it can go for 18 hours... can't say I doubt it. I never got lower than half charge on all three nights.

Features are easy enough to use. Screen on lowest brightness level is as good as it gets. Zoom and magnification are really good, but never needed it. My targets were close at 50-60 yards. Even at that distance, really glad I got the 5x20.

The illumination is good, but you can get better. I didn't because I knew I would be close. Obviously, it did fine at 60... I could easily see 100, who knows if I had to stretch out further and how good I could see. I never had distance to see. HOWEVER... that thing did chew through batteries. It lasted first night, and I would turn it off every now and then...but ya, you can't leave that on all the time, or bring lots of batteries.

Which means it's much easier to use a monocular, and the Bushnell NV did a great job. 4 AA lithium batteries last all 3 nights... except last 30 min... and it was basically on the whole time it was dark for 3 nights.

And the ATN range finder... flawless. Turn it on, it pairs, shoot it, turn it off. Ranged, in the calculator. Nothing much ore to say.

Overall...ya, Night Vision is a trip and really cool. It's cool when all of a sudden there are eye balls staring back at you in pitch black.

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Supposedly it can go for 18 hours... can't say I doubt it. I never got lower than half charge on all three nights.
Just in case that sounds wrong, to clarify... I charged it every day. It didn't go to half charge on all 3 nights combined. One thing for sure... it would go dusk to dawn no problem at all on full charge. It also powers on pretty quick. 10 seconds to a reticle. So being more judicious, you could easily stretch it 3-4 nights on a single charge.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts