Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some upgrading lately. But I got my Razor HD tonight so I had to get it on and snap some pics.

I've had it for a bit, but added lately. I don't mean to brag, but....
Mega ambi billet lower
AR Performance... upper, scout 16" barrel, super bolt, and full NiB BCG
New SSA-E trigger
BADD levers, Troy ambi mag release, and Strike Ind enhanced bolt catch/release
JP silent capture spring buffer
And of course the new Razor with my AD-Recon mount.

My God... the Razor is so damn nice. The field is huge, scope disappears. I'm much happier with a more forward position. I was fighting my last one. And while it might be a couple ounces heavier than the PA 1-6 it replaced, it's smaller. I can't wait to go get it zeroed. Warmest it will be is Saturday at 49. I'll be at the range.

And while I actually liked the functionality of the PA ACSS reticle, I much more prefer the fine wire Mil reticle of the Vortex. And I'm used to seeing lit reticles, but the red dot of the Razor is really nice. Just like my other red dots. Except this one on "1" makes my Aimpoint feel like looking through a key hole.

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
I think I need that scope as well.

And another AR to put it on. And probably a 6.8 at some point because I need more odd calibers.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, everyone needs more odd calibers. So they wouldn't be so odd.

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
I am thinking the 6.8 is about the perfect deer caliber.
IMO, the more powerful 308/30-06 derived rounds wreck too much meat and 5.56 is a touch on the light side.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
@Groo 5.56/223 to the head is the exact prescription for a deer, but I feel ya I I like the .308 for deer too, it tears stuff up pretty good though. 6.8 has my interests. Just waiting for bank account to catch up. I'd love to start loading a less popular cartridge.

@Powerman
Damn. That's real nice. Real nice. I like. If I was the jealous type , well that would do it .

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Groo 5.56/223 to the head is the exact prescription for a deer, but I feel ya I I like the .308 for deer too, it tears stuff up pretty good though. 6.8 has my interests. Just waiting for bank account to catch up. I'd love to start loading a less popular cartridge.

@Powerman
Damn. That's real nice. Real nice. I like. If I was the jealous type , well that would do it .
I had a 308 for a do everything gun. But I finally had to admit I was never going elk hunting. And it wasn't exactly a goofing off plinking gun. I built it decent, but heavy barrel.

So I sold it to fund a good 5.56. BMC upper with the mega lower. Then I got interested in 6.8 and got the ARP upper. I put together a Spikes lower this year for the 5.56. Pretty much done now. I wasn't satisfied with the other scope. Officially done now.

And ya, it's in the middle of 5.56 and 7.62. I really like it. It's not a BB gun, nor a cannon. S&B is reasonable, Federal makes ball, and Hornady SST/Barnes is plentiful. And yes, I've considered reloading. 68forums has all the info you could ever want.

Bottom line, I feel much better about the zombie apocalypse now. :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yeah, done, riiiight! That's what every AR-15 addict says after finishing the "last" build. Good luck with the temporary satisfaction...

·
Registered
531 Posts
6.8 is a few guns away for me but I need one. Easy to justify as it will do a whitetail up just fine. The wife needs convincing since what are the chances of ALL the other ones having trouble all at once

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to zero my scope. I ran out of time. I'll have to do an actual 200 zero. I'm close. I really like the regular cross hairs better. I didn't use the dot, but it's a dot and it's bright. Oh, it's red....

The clarity and view are great. But the sun is right in your eyes at the end of the day at my range. Little annoying. Overall really happy. Hitting some steel coyotes at 425 in shadows at the end of the day.

I also got time with the new SSA-E trigger. Ya, that's nice. I mean it is lighter than the G2S, but that is just a spring. But weight, break... Glad I got it. Getting some confidence now that I can get some great medium range accuracy when its dialed in. Last scope wasn't getting that done.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I guess I'm not done... So I'm going pig hunting! I picked up a ATN 4K Pro 5x20. I'll get pics up when it's mounted. Thing is huge. Got the ranger to go with it.

So then Black Friday... I'm not eve going to explain... I got a Geissele M-Lok Guard. The MK16. I always liked the BCM I had on another rifle, and I never really cared for the Midwest Industry one I have. MI is fine, just don't like the cut I got on this one. Again, I'll post pics when I get it, but I'm actually happy to get this finished off with a nice guard.

What I'm playing with now is I got another JP Silent Capture Spring... That had to go back. I got tungsten weights and a tuning spring pack for mine. I really love my JP SCS. I never really thought there was anything wrong with my setup...

Got to the range today... With all 3 weights... Equivalent to a H3... My bolt reliably held open on all my ammo I shot... But honestly, I think a bit too much weight. Recoil felt a bit worse.

Next up I'm going with 2 weights which is H2 equivalent. I Kinda like a little heavier buffer. I'll go to the next step up on spring power and see what that does.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
H2 weight and next stronger spring is better. It just doesn't need a heavy buffer. Pretty bummed... No Geissele hand guard... Long story, didn't work out. And then, today, shooting... My CTR is cracked right down the center. Kept pinching my cheek shooting... That actually kind of pisses me off. Not cheap, I hardly ever use it, just cracks? Of course right on the seam.

20191220_173410.jpg

Oh, and because Jack arse Photophucket....

20191220_173748.jpg

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
H2 weight and next stronger spring is better. It just doesn't need a heavy buffer. Pretty bummed... No Geissele hand guard... Long story, didn't work out. And then, today, shooting... My CTR is cracked right down the center. Kept pinching my cheek shooting... That actually kind of pisses me off. Not cheap, I hardly ever use it, just cracks? Of course right on the seam.

View attachment 733327
Oh, and because Jack arse Photophucket....

View attachment 733329
Contact Magpul about the CTR...that’s very unusual.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Not that you shouldn't contact magpul, because I agree it's unusual, and I'd expect them to make it right.

But, the pictured stock is an ACS-L, not a CTR.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not that you shouldn't contact magpul, because I agree it's unusual, and I'd expect them to make it right.

But, the pictured stock is an ACS-L, not a CTR.
You are correct sir. Been browsing too much stuff lately. Hopefully Magpul is as observant as you. :)

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well... I contacted Magpul... RA issued... I had to pay for shipping to them... But bam... Brand new ACS-L showed up on my doorstep today. That's pretty darn good service.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my ATN 4K mounted up today. That is one honkin piece of gear. With the range finder on, it's pretty darn front heavy.

20200217_194837.jpg

20200217_194914.jpg

This wasn't unknown. This and the Wraith are very competitive. They weigh the same, but the Wraith is more compact. My friend gas a wraith and I'm still glad I got the 4K.

So it seems the go to monocular is the Bushnell Equinox. Got one because of it. I thought about ATN, I might regret that. The ATN rangefinder is blue tooth and pairs with scope. It obviously does not need to be mounted to scope, but it is pretty convinient. We'll... ATN has some night binoculars that has rangefinder that pair with scope as well. I has a BIG rechargeable battery, whereas the rangefinder seems notorious for chewing thru expensive ones. It's a bit more expensive than the rangefinder and bushnell.

I'm just getting excited to go pig hunting. I want a lot of smoking to do this summer.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm getting excited for my pig shoot. NE Texas. It's not hunting.... Shoot pigs at a feeder. But I guess a lot of people have cancelled and weather has been good. So owner says there's a ton of pigs roaming around. So hopefully I can get a couple. Get to put all my new knives to work carving up some pigs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts