Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in IA we can't buy stamps for SBR's so it's what I need to do if I want a shorty. Any recommendations on a good barrel length? Iv'e read a lot of people go 10.5" to keep the OAL under 26, does a pistol need to be? I will be using a Sig brace if I build this thing. Thanks for any info and suggestions.

While I have your attention, is a 300 even worth building if we cant have silencers here? maybe I just need to stick with 5.56? So many choices, never enough money :lol:

·
Registered
632 Posts
While I have your attention, is a 300 even worth building if we cant have silencers here? maybe I just need to stick with 5.56? So many choices, never enough money :lol:
A 300 makes a better pistol than 5.56 due to the ballistics of the rounds. 300 doesn't lose nearly as much velocity is a short barrel as 5.56

Chart of velocity for 6.8/.300/5.56 velocity by barrel length. Anyone have one that includes 6.5? - AR15.COM

For quick reference: 300 BLK at 16" gives 2400 fps with the rounds in the article; a 8" gives 2050 fps (14.6% reduction). In terms of muzzle energy, that is 1407 ft/lbs to 1062 ft/lbs (24.5%). 5.56 with same lengths is 3050 fps and 2475 fps (18.9%), or 1136 ft/lbs to 748 ft/lbs (34.2% decrease)

If you increase bullet weight in the 300, the ballistics change less per inch of barrel loss too, I believe. (can't find the numbers)

I just built a 300 pistol, but of course I am moving to MO in a month so I can SBR is I choose to :D

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Here in IA we can't buy stamps for SBR's so it's what I need to do if I want a shorty. Any recommendations on a good barrel length? Iv'e read a lot of people go 10.5" to keep the OAL under 26, does a pistol need to be? I will be using a Sig brace if I build this thing. Thanks for any info and suggestions.

I'm just curious as to how you and millions of other "subjects" can live under such tyranny and still call yourselves Americans? ;)

Seriously, though, a friend of mine sells hundreds of thousands of rounds of .300 Blackout annually, and he does a lot of R&D. He recently bought a .300 Blackout pistol, but he does shoot suppressed. I can't fathom shooting a .300 Blackout pistol that's not suppressed, but that's just my personal opinion.

I do own and shoot a .300 Blackout, but it's a 16" M4. I really like the round, but my main purpose is to shoot suppressed, also.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
If youre not gonna put a can on it, I see no point in the round. Good luck finding more than 60 rounds at a time :lol:

·
Registered
632 Posts
If youre not gonna put a can on it, I see no point in the round. Good luck finding more than 60 rounds at a time :lol:
Reloading. Even by scrounging a pound here and another here I am loading at .60/round with Hornady interlocks and about .70 with Mosley ballistic tips

Sent from my Galaxy S5

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Understood. Seems to be a lot of work for a round designed to be supressed, that I cant supress.

Id go 10.5" -556, then whenever the laws allow, grab a 300 BO barrel and submit my form 4. Thats just me, though.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
I have an unlimited supply of .300 Blackout ammo, and I do enjoy shooting mine without a suppressor. If I hunted deer, I'd feel comfortable hunting them with my .300 Blackout M4 with 110-147 gr bullets, out to 200 yds. Most shots around where I live are under 100 yds.

I'm about to acquire 1000 220 gr. Sierra Matchkings for loading subsonically.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I have an unlimited supply of .300 Blackout ammo....
This would be the only way I would go 300.

For those not as fortunate, Six8 is excellent out of short barrels. Less expensive and a breeze to reload.

Ive looked into getting into 300 and everytime I looked for inventory...OOS. Then when it shows up 3 months later, its $2 a round and its a small supply. Reloading is a great alternative though, but why bother when the availability and cost of other rounds are more end user friendly? Just my .02

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ive looked into getting into 300 and everytime I looked for inventory...OOS. Then when it shows up 3 months later, its $2 a round and its a small supply. Reloading is a great alternative though, but why bother when the availability and cost of other rounds are more end user friendly? Just my .02
I do agree it is sort of a pain. However, at least for me, I intend to get a suppressor, so I will at least be using it to its full potential. Plus once I reload a few sets and am reusing brass for the second, third time, the price isn't too much worse than reloading premium .223

Sent from my Galaxy S5

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
since I can't use a can for hunting, I decided to go with a 6.8 over a 300. All the high performance supersonic 300 rounds are as light as the 6.8 rounds and have less oomph behind them.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
I just don't find cutting off .223 cases to be that much of a "pain." I use a jig with a Harbor Freight 2" cutoff saw, and I can process a lot of brass in a hurry. After that, it's just like loading any other bottleneck.

500 pieces of .300 Blackoiut brass will probably last me a long time. For those of you interested in buying commercial .300 Blackout in lots of at least 1000 rounds @ about $.90-or-less per round, then I know where you can get a bunch.

As I've previously stated, one of the advantages of .300 Blackout is that a barrel change is all that's needed for a conversion, although an adjustable gas block might be in order, if one is going to shoot suppressed.

My friend who is so heavily invested in marketing .300 Blackout is also doing a lot of work on 6.5/.223, which, of course, also uses .223 cases. He's getting some pretty remarkable ballistics out of that round. I've told him that I just don't see the commercial application, but he's forging ahead anyhow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts