Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my XDm 40 compact for concealed carry. It's not terrible, but it's not good either as far as comfort is concerned. Even in an IWB by Comp Tac it's not very comfortable and its heavier then I thought it would be.

I have been looking all weekend not stop...almost obsessively at pocket guns. I went and visited a friend this weekend and he bought a new S&W Bodyguard 380 with built in laser. Another friend had the Ruger LCP with crimson trace. I want something bigger then a 380 though.

I kept looking at the Ruger LC9 and thought I was ready to get it. I did some more looking and I am almost certain my next purchase with be the Kahr PM-9.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Kahr PM9 is a good choice but I suggest you also check Walther PPS. ;)
Booth are very nice pistols. The PPS is a little bigger than the PM9 but nothing like the XD40. I have shot them both and love them both, but the Kahr reminds me of a smaller version of the XD. Which feels good in my hand. I gave the edge to Kahr because it works best for my needs. Like I said though both are very nice pistols and IMO you can not go wrong with either one.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I tried a PM9 for pocket carry to replace my LCP.
Great gun, no reliability issues with it, but it did blister the web of my hand after 250 consecutive rounds.
Probably just the shape of my hand, I never heard anyone else have that problem.
But the PM9 was too thick heavy and big for MY pocket carry needs.
So I kept the LCP for pocket carry.

I sold the PM9 to my Dad and he belt carries it slide holster.
He loves it..

I carry an SA EMP for CCW, small and light enough with a good belt and holster.
Unless I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt, then it is the LCP in pocket.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, so many choices. The Sigs are so damn expensive. Not like the Kahr is inexpensive but it is somewhat affordable. Here is some size info I found online between some of these pocket guns in 9mm

Barrel Length
Kahr PM9: 3.0"
Ruger LC9: 3.1"
Glock 26: 3.46"
Ruger SR9c: 3.5"
Kel-Tec PF9: 3.1"
Rohrbaugh: 2.9"
S&W M&P9c: 3.5"
SIG P290: 2.9"

Overall Length
Kahr PM9: 5.6"
Ruger LC9: 6.0"
Glock 26: 6.29"
Ruger SR9c: 6.85"
Kel-Tec PF9: 5.85"
Rohrbaugh: 5.2"
S&W M&P9c: 6.7"
SIG P290: 5.5"

Width
Kahr PM9: 1.1"
Ruger LC9: .9"
Glock 26: 1.18"
Ruger SR9c: 1.27"
Kel-Tec PF9: .88"
Rohrbaugh: .91"
S&W M&P9c: 1.2"
SIG P290: 1.1"

Height
Kahr PM9: 4.3"
Ruger LC9: 4.5"
Glock 26: 4.17"
Ruger SR9c: 4.6"
Kel-Tec PF9: 4.3"
Rohrbaugh: 4.1"
S&W M&P9c: 4.3"
SIG P290: 3.9"

Weight
Kahr PM9: 16.7 oz.
Ruger LC9: 17.1 oz.
Glock 26: 19.75 oz.
Ruger SR9c: 23.4 oz.
Kel-Tec PF9: 14.7 oz.
Rohrbaugh: 15.1 oz (aluminum frame)
S&W M&P9c: 24.5 oz. (?)
SIG P290: 20.5 oz.

Capacity
Kahr PM9: 6+1
Ruger LC9: 7+1
Glock 26: 10+1
Ruger SR9c: 10+1 (17+1 w/extended mag)
Kel-Tec PF9: 7+1
Rohrbaugh: 6+1
S&W M&P9c: 12+1
SIG P290: 8+1 (?)

Manual Safety
Kahr PM9: No
Ruger LC9: Yes
Glock 26: No
Ruger SR9c: Yes
Kel-Tec PF9: No
Rohrbaugh: No
S&W M&P9c: Optional
SIG P290: No

Firing Mechanism
Kahr PM9: DAO (striker)
Ruger LC9: DAO (hammer???)
Glock 26: SAO (striker)
Ruger SR9c: SAO (striker)
Kel-Tec PF9: DAO (hammer)
Rohrbaugh: DAO (hammer)
S&W M&P9c: SAO (striker)
SIG P290: DAO (hammer)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I own both a Kahr PM9 & MK9 (steel version).

Both are excellent and carry easy. I carried the polymer because it was lighter, but then I started to do some custom work on it and had to carry the MK9. I realized I did not notice the marginal weight difference in a belt holster (pocket carry is a different story).

+P in th PM9 is not fun to practice, the worst part is that I fire "thumbs forward" and the slide release lever is SHARP, tears up my offhand thumb. So I had to file and melt the levers.

I also needed a break in of about 120 rounds in the polymer Kahr (used+P), but the steel MK9 did not need the break in. I also upgraded to +10% magazine springs from Wolff. After that, a very nice backup for me, or a CCW during hot weather for some citizens out there.

Kel-Tec is junk, Crap-Tec,

I do like the EMP, but a little pricey IMO. I won't do business with Kimber anymore, they are a** holes, so the Solo is out.

But congrats to realizing you need more than a .380 as a primary defense tool. Perfect for a BUG...just my opinion to save lives, accurately, and not get sued ;-)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
throw the CZ Rami into the mix

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
throw the CZ Rami into the mix
A nice alternative. Don't get an early model though, they were riddled with reliability issues. A first for CZ as their fullsized models are the best quality out there.

A simple search engine search will show you all of those.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I have a PM9 for pocket carry and like it a lot. I use a Plain-Jane Blackhawk pocket holster from Cheaper than Dirt.

No problems with blisters but I don't think I've ever done a 250 round range session with it.

The Walther PPS is a fine gun, but more the size of the CW series of Kahrs. I can't imagine pocket-carrying a PPS.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks for all the suggestions. Now I just need $600, plus ammo and a holster. There are a few good ones you all suggested I guess I can use my compact 40 more so in the fall/winter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I normally carry my xdsc but I went the the store the other day and came home with a walther pps. Here they are in a size comparison.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I think:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, you won't practice with it like you should.

Bottom line: carry what you shoot best.

·
Registered
83 Posts
well I posted a few days ago i picked up the cm9 same size as the pm9.
over the lc9 and kahr I prefer the pm9, cant speak for the walther other than they have nice guns. But if you liike the pm and wanna spend way less might check out the cm9.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So how about the Kahr CM9? Very close to the PM9 but $200 less! I haven't shot either one, but have shot the MK9 and loved it. Also really liked shooting the Walther PPS.

Phillip

·
Registered
29 Posts
well I posted a few days ago i picked up the cm9 same size as the pm9.
over the lc9 and kahr I prefer the pm9, cant speak for the walther other than they have nice guns. But if you liike the pm and wanna spend way less might check out the cm9.
It's basically the same gun ,but with traditional rifling instead of polygonal and less machine work on the slide right? If your happy with it congrats.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
One thing: if you can try to shoot them. I this past monday rented a LCR and a bodyguard 38 thinking that I'd buy the LCR. I shot both really well, but I leaned towards BG 38 cause its cylinder release is lefty friendly, you get a laser, the brass ejector is longer which pushes out the casings better. Also check out the CM9 as others suggested since its pretty much the same as a PM9 just with less cosmetic features and a different barrel

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Kimber came out with a new model called SOLO, looks like a very nicely made small 9mm for CCW.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
I love my kel tec pf9. It has never failed and is extremely small and one of, if not the slimmest 9mm pistols available. I bought the crimson trace laser for it and it rides in a leather back pocket holster, and the whole setup is thinner than my wallet.

Just make sure that you look at the ones with the metal magazine release, I believe earlier models had some issues that have now been worked out.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts