Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After thinking that, for my birthday this year, I would buy another really nice 9mm and thinking that it would be an HK P2000....I might be changing my mind!

While shooting my Hi-Power at a local outdoor range, a guy let me borrow his Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm. He said he just bought it at Academy for 399 bucks.

Wow...what a great shooter! I was expecting a very ho-hum 9mm, like my brother's PX4 Beretta...you know....decent...but nothing to write home about or trade one of my other 9mms.

Well, the Sig Pro had one really sweet trigger. Better trigger (both d/a and s/a) than the P226s I had shot in the past. The trigger was better than my old P228 as well.

I ran two boxes of Federal Champion through the Sig Pro and at 10 and 15yds....the pistol hit where I was aiming and never missed a beat. Points beautifully and the recoil was very soft. A 6-o'clock hold and everything grouped anywhere between 2-4 inches or closer. I am sure I could do better, if it were mine and I was more used to it. Still, that is totally acceptable and close to what my P220, P225 and P228 do on a regular basis.

I have seen and held these guns before, but never shot one. Well...they shoot as good as they look!

Now...it will be VERY HARD to justify paying 760 bucks for the HK P2000, when the 399 Sig Pro shot so well and has a trigger that is better than any HK I have ever shot.

I always thought the Sig Pro LOOKED like a good deal for the money, but now, I think it is a total steal. I cannot believe that you can get a SIG like this at this low of a price.

When my b-day rolls around (end of month).....I might be adding the Sig Pro 2022 to my 9mm stable and forgetting about the HK.

Anyone looking for a "budget" 9mm should consider the Sig Pro. You'd be hard pressed to find a brand new 400 dollar 9mm that is made this well and shoots this nice.

Anyone else own one of these? I was impressed but would not mind hearing how they last, long term. This might be one of the best things coming out of SIG's NH plant right now.

Thanks....thought I'd share a great experience with one really nice, affordable pistol.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
127,178 Posts
Thanks for the informative range report!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it surprised the hell out of me! LOL

I had the medium backstrap on it, BTW.

Felt great in the hand...not big and clunky like the PX4. With the different backstraps, it actually feels better than the P226 (which I have always loved).

Again...I was shocked at what 399 bucks will buy in this pistol.

I was looking at a higher end 9mm like the HK for my next purchase but really....I think the Sig Pro will do everything I want. I was looking for open carry/range/ranch carry and the shooting qualities of the Sig Pro were amazing.

I like the feel and recoil control of the HKs...especially the USPs...but NO HK I have ever handled had a trigger like this.

The HK sells for about 760 bucks...the Sig Pro is 399...man...hard to justify spending more on the HK. I could spend the difference on a nice holster and extra mags for the Sig Pro.

- brickboy240

PS: El Paso Saddlery says they can make holsters for the Sig Pro....makes my choice even easier!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
We're really spoiled, we live in a golden age of handguns here in America. There are so many good guns to choose from.

When I was buying a GLOCK 19 earlier this year at an Academy, two people bought Sig Pros.

My cousin used to have a .40 S&W chambered Sig Pro. I thought it was a very nice gun. Kind of makes you wonder why Sig came out with that train wreck P250 as opposed to just promoting the heck out of the 2022.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
i sold my SAXDSC9 and bought one of these... i love it so much it has become my carry gun... i cant say enough about it. i did a write up on it and my beretta some where on other guns on here...

i love it. i was driving nails with it, and never had a problem. i have put little over 500 rounds down range with her. IMO it is a gun that is great for carry, fun shoot range gun... just all around great gun.

alot of the old sig people say the pros are junk. besides those people i have not seen one bad word about the 2022....

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I bought one a while back and it's one of my favorites. Hard to beat for reliability and it's pretty beefy so I would expect durability to be pretty good. Sig was going to stop selling them to civvies and I got one of the (what I believe to be) overruns for the Colombian contract (came with spanish user guide). Excellent shooter and probably the softest 9mm I have.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ok... I'll admit it. I've been carrying one in 40 cal. for about two months now. It was hard to park my old carry gun in the safe, and I always tell myself tomorow I will pull it back out but... yeah. Sig pro all day.

My used German proofed marked 2022 has the tightest slide to frame fit that I have ever seen in pistol, and I have owned a few. The damed fit was so tight that I cut my hands in 3 different spots the first time that I dissasembled/ reassembled for cleaning. The gun is just an absolute laser to shoot. Where you point is where it hits.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
see every one has nothing but good to say about this gun... screw h and k they dont even k now how to load a mag...hahah

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, from doing a little research, the consensus on the Sig Forum seems to be that the SP2022 is the best kept secret of the SIG lineup or the most under-rated in the P-series line-up. It simply does not get much bad press. If anyone was going to pick it apart...I would suspect it would be the hardcore SIG guys, but that is not the case.

I had my heart set on an HK P2000 for a lone time. I have never owned any HK pistols and always wanted one. They are sort of pricey, but I was going to suck it up and buy one. My Hi-Power is a fairly expensive 9mm....and there is a reason why.

However, the HKs don't have very good triggers and their mags are very expensive. Besides, I don't know how the 760 dollar P2000 could shoot any better than the 399 dollar Sig Pro.

I had also considered getting another Glock, like a G19, but the stories of the reliability problems with the 4th gen guns, makes me want to stay away from newer Glocks.

Looked at the M&P 9 full-size too. Nice pistol, but the trigger is awful. It is also around 100 dollars more than the Sig Pro.

Its looking more and more like I might be adding the SP2022 to my line up later this month. I'll keep looking and researching but the SP 2022 really stood out.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I had a pro in 9mm. I put about 500 rds or so through it. Great gun! It felt great in my hand and point of aim felt great. Was very accurate. Mine had the sig lite night sights on it and I only paid 369. Got it from Buds a few years back. The only thing I changed on it was the guide rod, they come with a polymer one. I ordered a stainless steel one and I was completely happy with it. I traded it though, for my Xdm, I love my Xdm but that sig pro is the only gun I miss. Great little gun!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I also own a SP2022 (in 40 SW) and believe it is one of the most under rated pistols out there right now. Makes me want to buy a 9mm now too though ;)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I bought this gun for my wife in a .40 version. GREAT gun. And for any females out there looking for a gun, THIS IS IT! The recoil is very manageble, this is my wifes first handgun and she likes it. Any of my friends that shoot it love it.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since the 9mm is so soft in the recoil dept, I bet the 40 is also a fairly soft shooter.

The softest shooting 40s I have shot, have to be the USP 40 full-size and the Beretta 96. Probably because they are so big.

It does not surprise me that the 40 Sig Pro is a light kicker, though.

I am still shocked at how SIG can price their P229 and P226 at close to 800, while the SP 2022 hovers around 400 bones.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
yea your not the only one lookin at those. i was plannin on after i get me my 1911 which ive been vigorously saving for i was gonna take my old S&W and use it as a down payment for the 2022 9mm Ive beenr esearching them for awhile and Im in love with them its like a 226 and a USP makin gun love and this is there baby;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
The SigPro has been one of the best kept secrets in the gun world. I have had mine in .40s&w for a little over a year. I always felt it had one of the best out of the box triggers and now after approx 1000 rounds it is the handgun I compare all others to.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am liking the Sig Pro over the USP/P2000 for several reasons now.

First, the SP is almost half the cost: 399 versus 760 bucks.

Second, the mag release on the HK is a$$ backwards from EVERY other pistol I own. I wonder if I could get used to it?

Third, HK mags and HK accessories in general are scarce and expensive. The USP has a proprietary rail...meaning it can only use HK's pricey light.

I know HK makes a high quality pistol, but the features of other pistols really outweigh their offerings. Probably why you see many more SIGs, Glocks and other pistols versus HKs.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brother just bought on, we shot it for the first time the other day and I totally agree. This was my brothers first gun and first time shooting and by the third mag he was in about 5 inch clusters even a couple of sequential bulls eyes at 7 yards. I shot it as well and it felt great!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you ask me, the SP2022 is probably the best deal on a brand new service-size 9mm, under 400 bucks.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
51 Posts
After thinking that, for my birthday this year, I would buy another really nice 9mm and thinking that it would be an HK P2000....I might be changing my mind!

While shooting my Hi-Power at a local outdoor range, a guy let me borrow his Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm. He said he just bought it at Academy for 399 bucks.

Wow...what a great shooter! I was expecting a very ho-hum 9mm, like my brother's PX4 Beretta...you know....decent...but nothing to write home about or trade one of my other 9mms.

Well, the Sig Pro had one really sweet trigger. Better trigger (both d/a and s/a) than the P226s I had shot in the past. The trigger was better than my old P228 as well.

I ran two boxes of Federal Champion through the Sig Pro and at 10 and 15yds....the pistol hit where I was aiming and never missed a beat. Points beautifully and the recoil was very soft. A 6-o'clock hold and everything grouped anywhere between 2-4 inches or closer. I am sure I could do better, if it were mine and I was more used to it. Still, that is totally acceptable and close to what my P220, P225 and P228 do on a regular basis.

I have seen and held these guns before, but never shot one. Well...they shoot as good as they look!

Now...it will be VERY HARD to justify paying 760 bucks for the HK P2000, when the 399 Sig Pro shot so well and has a trigger that is better than any HK I have ever shot.

I always thought the Sig Pro LOOKED like a good deal for the money, but now, I think it is a total steal. I cannot believe that you can get a SIG like this at this low of a price.

When my b-day rolls around (end of month).....I might be adding the Sig Pro 2022 to my 9mm stable and forgetting about the HK.

Anyone looking for a "budget" 9mm should consider the Sig Pro. You'd be hard pressed to find a brand new 400 dollar 9mm that is made this well and shoots this nice.

Anyone else own one of these? I was impressed but would not mind hearing how they last, long term. This might be one of the best things coming out of SIG's NH plant right now.

Thanks....thought I'd share a great experience with one really nice, affordable pistol.

- brickboy240
I concur. I had a German model in 9mm when they first came out, and it was a very nice pistol indeed. A year or so later I started converting to 45 cal, so I ended up selling it, but I hated parting with that great gun. BTW, this is coming from an HK fan.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Best deal, probably. Had purchased one at Academy Sporting goods. Won't do that again. Lured in by the price and I needed to replace my venerable Berretta 92FS that I gave to my son. I quickly sold it for an XDsc. Academy's policy is to not allow you to manipulate or in other ways field strip their firearms in the store. HATED the way it broke down and reassembled when I got it home. Virtually every other modern sidearm out there can be broken down without the takedown lever needing to removed completely from the frame to be promptly lost. Assembling it by sliding the barrel to this position, inserting tab A into slot B, click, rotate, hold your tongue just right.... Now do it in the dark?

Naw. Good shooting, well balanced, friendly ergonomics didn't outweigh my aggravation with the above. I'll just leave mine in the trustworthy hands of the French military who, at the time, were the chief users of this piece.

Just another reason to test drive before you buy and it's only my 2 cents. It could be the perfect gun for y'all.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts