Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I decided to drag my trusty ol' Kimber Custom II out to the range to pop off a few rounds. I'd been carrying it here and there and hadn't fired it in a few weeks (my Sig 220 gets most of my attention).

While firing the first magazine I loaded up I felt what appeared to be an automatic double tap....hmmmm.

The second magazine I loaded fired off four rounds rapidly in succession and then jammed on a single trigger pull. This was a problem.

The gun went back in my range bag and I drove back into town in a very unpleasant mood.

Sitting down over a glass of some Jack Daniel's Tenessee Honey I thought about the problem and diagnosed it (correctly) as the disconnector. My first thought was to see a gunsmith, but lately some of the work I've seen coming out of local gunsmiths has been lacking.

I've always been a do-it yourself type of guy. I also have a natural proclivity for being able to look at most machine parts and see how they fit together.

A few weeks later I made the decision to attempt the repair process by myself. I carefully disassembled my 1911 taking note of where each part went and what it interfaced with. I observed each piece and decided to order anything that appeared to have any visible amount of wear. A trip to Brownell's website was in order!

I chose to replace the disconnector, hammer, hammer strut, sear, and sear spring.

I also decided to replace the thumb safety and mainspring housing. It always frustrated me that they put a plastic MSH on a $900 gun. Just seems cheap.

The whole project took about 2 hours once the parts came in. The STI squared tool steel hammer and the Nighthawk Custom sear fit together with only a TINY bit of polishing with some fine emory to get a crisp, clean and light trigger pull. The titanium hammer strut may have been a bit overkill, but what the hell...if you're going to do something do it right the first time.

Conversely, the Wilson Combat thumb safety required a TON of polishing with a diamond file. A few times I was tempted to use a dremel, but I abstained and did the routine 3-4 file strokes then test fit. The end was a clean, solid *click* both into and out of safety, with very little play in either position.

The Wilson Combat MSH went in without any trouble. I took the time to replace the mainspring cap and pin as well. The 1911 was designed with a lanyard loop and IMHO it should still have one :D

My one "oops mark". I got the mainspring housing stuck and had to press it out with a punch. I accidentally marred part of the inside of the magazine well. Live and learn....we'll call that guy a "character mark"

I went out to the range on Monday and put 200 rounds down her and she functions flawlessly. The trigger break is cleaner than it's ever been.

I'd rate this project as a 6/10 in terms of difficulty. I wouldn't try it if you're a complete novice, or if you're not mechanically inclined but there's nothing here that a man's man with a decent workshop and a few tools wouldn't be able to do.

The Finished Product - Exactly what I wanted, a slightly retrofit carry 1911 with a fine look and a near perfect trigger pull.

Tools I Used :

Diamond Files

1/8" Starter Punch

Emory cloth/Emory stone

I apologize for the photo quality. It came off a cell phone.

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
What happened to your pics?

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
I tried again, but still nothing. Your narrative got me all worked up. I'll somewhat patiently await the pics. ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nice work. Feels good to do stuff like that yourself.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
you just replaced allt he bad parts from kimber with high end parts, good job. you just alleviated most of the failings kimber has i approve.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Great job on fixing your 1911!

Thanks for the write up too! :)

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Good Job.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Great pics.
Good job.

I had Customized Creationz replace my plastic MSH of my Kimber CDP Ultra when he worked on it.;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Job well done, makes you feel good I bet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts