Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been waiting patiently for the Ruger SR1911 to hit the stores. I've always wanted a nice, budget 1911 in stainless. It has the features I've always wanted: silver stainless, no front slide serrations, 8-round mag (7-rounder included too), price around $600-$700.

So I went to my local gun shop/range today to put 100 rounds through my XD-9 service, and lo and behold, they had a new Ruger SR1911 in stock! Price: $619. I could not resist. Even though I don't really have the money to spare, I bought her anyway. I knew I wanted a 1911; this is the one I want; they have it in stock; it hasn't been pawed up by 500 customers; it was reasonably priced. So the hell with it – I made the purchase! With tax and background check fee, I think the total came to $674 (well under 7 bills)...

Now I have the living hell of the Wisconsin 48 hour waiting period. I can't pick up my new baby until Thursday afternoon. Aaaaaaaaargghhhhhh!!!!

As soon as I take her to the range, I will let you guys know how it went. I have never owned or shot a 1911 before, so I will have nothing to compare it too, but I will divulge anything I can and give you guys some pictures, too.

More to come, my fellow 1911 freaks!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You're going to love it.
Show us pics, give us your impressions. Even small ones.
Eager to hear!

:p

You are aware of how contagious the 1911 fever is?

You've been warned.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Congrats...I'm Jealous...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tell them to overnight it to my FFL. I can take possession the same day, fire a few rounds, overnight it back to you and let you know how it feels and shoots before you get your 48 hours over.:p

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
>>Price: $619.<<

Helluva price too! :eek:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>>Price: $619.<<

Helluva price too! :eek:
RUT, yes. I almost thought it was a pricing mistake on their part seeing as it's such a new gun and I bought the second one they've ever sold. I was expecting the SR1911's to be $700 for the first six months or so, then come down slowly as demand tapers off. They've sold two already, so I wouldn't be surprised if the next time I go to the range, there's another one in the display case for $690 or something like that... In any event. I scored mine for $619. Hells bells, I can't complain!

·
Registered
324 Posts
This turns the Taurus deal on it's head.

I think I paid $625 for mine back when they came out; you can get them new now for $425.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
>>you can get them new now for $425<<

And where would that be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The dealer that I buy most of my guns through has one one of SR1911's for me too! I should get it this weekend at a local gun show, I can hardly wait! I am hoping the price will be about the same as what you paid, he usually does Cost + 10% + Sales Tax for me on most things, although I am struggling trying to get that same deal on a Kel-Tec PMR-30, even the wholesalers are marking that one up. Love to hear how you like it and how it shoots.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Congrats! Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here you go, boys!

I picked her up today about noon! Didn't shoot it right away, of course. I took her home and read the manual from cover to cover, as I always do. Then I field stripped her and gave her a good cleaning.

The internals were pretty dirty with gross globs of assembly grease and some black grime. The gun was also dry out of the box. I oiled all the moving parts and put her back together. I racked the slide back and forth numerous times, fast and hard, to work out any small burs in the metal. After the cleaning and oiling, the slide moves much smoother. I expect after about 250 rounds it will be even better. Disassembly and assembly was easy and presented no problems. The supplied barrel bushing wrench works perfectly.

The fit and finish on the gun is very, very nice. Any concerns about cast frame or machined slide were eliminated when I first saw it in the store, and doubly so when I got it home. The quality of the materials seems to be stellar out of the box. The sand-blasted stainless is super nice &#8211; not too shiny, not too dull.

The quality of the supplied 7 and 8-round magazines is very good. I also picked up a Wilson Combat 47D. The 8-round Ruger mag seems to be the nicest of the three.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow. I picked up a few different boxes of hollow points that I plan to try out. I think I'll probably fire about 100 rounds of range ammo and maybe one of the boxes of hollow points for my first range trip. Don't want to push it for the first time shooting it. 1911's need more maintenance and lubing than my XD-9, so I don't think I will be putting 200 or 250 rounds down range at a pop. Plus ammo is about 40% more expensive than 9mm, as we all know. But I do want to get very competent with this weapon. If conceal carry passes in Wisconsin, this will be my carry piece when I carry.

I will chime back in with a range report when I get to the range.

My XD-9 is awesome &#8211; runs like a champ, is very functional and looks great. But this 1911 is beyond bad-ass. Might be the best thing I have ever bought. I'm definitely never selling this baby, ever. This weapon will be handed down to my kids, if I ever have any. Kinda feels special to have purchased this 1911 on the 100-year anniversary of the 1911's introduction. I feel like I own an awesome piece of Americana ... and a piece of Americana that will function and last!

I may swap out the grips to preserve the Ruger factory grips. Maybe not. Anyone got any suggestions for good, functional grips, perhaps in black?
God, I want to shoot this thing right now. Tomorrow can't come soon enough....

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Personally I love Alumagrips. They are fantastic and keep your hand stuck in place when shooting regardless of sweat or wet hands.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of my Detonics Servicemaster (my carry gun) with the alumagrips.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Man, that Ruger 1911 looks good!

I'd keep the wood grips.

The only things I'd swap on one, if I get one, is the black parts. I'd get a Wilson stainless safety and stainless Bulletproof Slide Stop and call it good.

It really seems that the Ruger 1911 is a lot of gun for the money.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
congrats

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Nice find, nice price, nice gun! I'm torn between a few 1911's right now - not sure which to get, but this one is in my top 3... :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts