Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the plunge, and removed the blueing from part of my barrel. To be exact, I just removed what was on the exposed part of the outside of the chamber portion, so it shows nice and silver through the extraction port. Now I'm looking for some rust protection. I was wondering if it would be kosher for me to put BW's Armadillo on said exposed part?

Also, right now, I am using "Never Dull" magic wading polish on said area, along with a few swipes with the old dremel and buffer attachment on it's second to lowest speed. Is there a better metal cleaner and/or polish that I could be using? I am against having any kind of sandpaper near my pistol, I fear that bad things can happen.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally I would just keep an eye on it. WD-40 and some scotch-brite aka a brillo pad can give you a good uniform finish without taking off any material. What you may see is shiny spots develop on wearing surfaces, but nothing to worry about and probably won't be very noticable. As far as rusting, that depends on the material and enviroment you're in. I sand blasted the barrel hood on my Sig and it didn't show any corrosion whatsoever for many months. Recently I used some Formula 44/40 to go back to black and was surprised how well it took.

Armadillo shouldn't hurt it at all if you want to put something on there. A thin coat of oil should be enough if you need something.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply fingolfin. I'm not too concerned. I did the same thing to my bolt carrier on my AK (WASR-10), and I haven't had a rust issue yet (been about six months.) I forgot about steel wool. 0000 fine is what , I believe, I used on my AK.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
WWIIArmsLover said:
Well, I took the plunge, and removed the blueing from part of my barrel. To be exact, I just removed what was on the exposed part of the outside of the chamber portion, so it shows nice and silver through the extraction port. Now I'm looking for some rust protection. I was wondering if it would be kosher for me to put BW's Armadillo on said exposed part?

Also, right now, I am using "Never Dull" magic wading polish on said area, along with a few swipes with the old dremel and buffer attachment on it's second to lowest speed. Is there a better metal cleaner and/or polish that I could be using? I am against having any kind of sandpaper near my pistol, I fear that bad things can happen.
I havent had mine rust EVER with it exposed.

And sandpaper (1000 grit -1600 grit) works great to take the metal imperfections out and make it a polished/shiny look. I took a power sander, flippe dupside down, ran the barrel on it (the exposed part), then hit it with jewelers and white rouge. No problems with functionality at all

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I found the steel wool I bought so many months ago, luckily no moisture got to it. It's actually 000 fine. What a difference that made. I went over the area a few times with the steel wool, then I went back to the dremel, and polished it. It's real shiny now. Not as shiny as Don's Guide Rod, but almost to where I want it.

NExd, there's a saying that goes, "If you're scared, just say you're scared." Well, I'm scared. No sandpaper for me, thanks for the suggestion, though. I think one more round with the steel wool and buffer, and I'll be happy. I'll try to post pics. I have a crappy 1 megapixel camera, the slightest movement and the picture is out of focus.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot, I have a couple more questions. I haven't completly decided, but the lettering on the exposed portion is still black. Is there an easy was to get the blueing out of there? I kind of like it, so I'm on the fence here.

Also, has anyone removed the blue finish off the actual barrel?

·
Registered
102 Posts
WWIIArmsLover said:
I forgot, I have a couple more questions. I haven't completly decided, but the lettering on the exposed portion is still black. Is there an easy was to get the blueing out of there?
Once again I recommend scotch-brite.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gaspipes said:
This might be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Why did you remove the blueing from the barrel?
For asthetics. I think it looks better. I've only had the gun for a month, and the finish was wearing off the block part of the barrel, and kind of looked crappy. It also matches Don's Guide rod. I didn't do the whole barrel, just the exposed part at the ejection port.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts