Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running out off my carry load for my glock 42. That being Fiocchi Extrema. It is a great performer in 380 and the price isn't too bad. I have been waiting for it to come back in stock as my supplies dwindled. I am down to my last few mags so I started to research other options that use the Hornady XTP bullet. I could not find any Hornady customs or precision one 380 ammo in stock anywhere. I did end up buying Wilson Combat 380 ammo that uses the XTP bullet. I ended up paying around $100 for 80 rounds, which isn't something I want to become accustomed to. It does say it uses a low flash powder and I will do some night shooting to see how it compares to the Extremas, but for $10 more a box and 5 less rounds it is going to have to be some magical powder. This has got me on the idea of just getting some XTP bullets and loading my own ammo. I won't be able to do any gel test but can certainly check reliability. Would I be wrong in assuming as long as my recipe got it moving around 1000 fps it should perform just like the proven xtp rounds out there?

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Hey Carl- Ever since Shooting the Bull found the magic Precision One HXTP, they can't be had and the price almost doubled. :evil:

These guys are local to me, so I p/u at residence. They have the Fed. Ammo. Manfac. Cert. and ship. No mention of ballistic testing here, but could hope the XTP attitude is the same as Precision One.

380 Auto Defense Ammo In Stock - 90 gr - 20 rounds

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have using the HPR loading of the XTP bullet after watching those videos. It is a temporary thing as these are pretty soft shooting and I really want a bit more velocity, despite their consistent penetration/expansion. They are pretty cheap @27$/50 and my LGS has at least 10 more boxes in stock. The only drawback to the HPR is the crimp is not strong. After maybe 4-5 chamberings, I found setback. I tossed the round, and now just leave the gun loaded. Once I can find some Hornady Custom or Extremas, I'll switch.

Reloading your own may be an option. Check function and preferably chrono the load you settle on. Normally I wouldn't carry a self made round for SD, but in 380 I might make an exception if you can't find any other top tier new stuff.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
After maybe 4-5 chamberings, I found setback.
Now ya got a .380+p round. :mrgreen: Oh wait....there are NO SAAMI +p specs. for .380

·
Registered
804 Posts
Now ya got a .380+p round. :mrgreen: Oh wait....there are NO SAAMI +p specs. for .380
:lol:

Hey cool. Maybe I should "prep" a mag full of these. Instant Underwood loading without a wait... :rolleyes:

On second thought....

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did track down some xtp bullets that will be at the gun show tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my hands on a few hundred.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just saying...

Underwood Ammo - 380 ACP

I'm very happy with their 10mm XTP offering.
Out of stock, I just missed the 500 xtp bullets at the gun show today, so I bought a ksg to help me get over it. I am stuck overpaying for ammo until these bullets become available again.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Yeah, they didn't last long.

I wanna say the other HP Underwood uses is the gold dot. Dunno if there's a 380 9ffering with them or not though.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, they didn't last long.

I wanna say the other HP Underwood uses is the gold dot. Dunno if there's a 380 9ffering with them or not though.
The gold dot is an under-performer in 380

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I wouldn't dick about with hollow points in a .380; I'd just run ball to ensure adequate penetration.

But that's me.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't dick about with hollow points in a .380; I'd just run ball to ensure adequate penetration.

But that's me.
Over penetration is a problem. I want it to go 12" or stop before 18" preferably.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Over penetration is a problem. I want it to go 12" or stop before 18" preferably.
Very rarely does ball go over 18" from .380's, particularly in mouse guns--in properly calibrated gel. Utoob commandoes need not apply.

Even when it does, it's usually 1-2", which normally won't have enough energy to penetrate clothing on the exiting side.

Whereas .380 JHP is very, very iffy at consistently hitting 12" with expansion.

Just what I've seen. You pays your money and makes your choices...but if I were carrying a .380, it'd be with a flat-nosed solid; FMJ or hard cast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts