Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten much better at distance shooting 15-25 yards. My groups are typically 2-3 inches @ 15 yards and 4+ at 25 yards. With a few fliers. Thanks to the advice I received from the range master I better centered my groups (brought them up from the lower right edge of the 9 ring. The main thing I notice, however, was that my groups weren't any tighter at 7 yards than at 15 yards. It's over twice the distance, but same grouping. Why would I shoot better at a longer distance? Is this normal?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I wouldn't be able to answer this unless I knew what the source of your group spread was. The pistol will always be able to shoot better than any of us. There will be some variances even if it is bench rested or shot from a vice. Anything more than that is operator "error". Many things contribute to the spread of a group of shots. It could be trigger pull, grip, shaky/tired arms, front sight/target focus, anticipation of recoil or even the point of aim itself. Without knowing which of these factors contribute specifically to your grouping it is hard to answer your question with anything specific. My generic answer would be that whatever is the main contributor of your group spread isn't affected much between those distances. That lends me to think that it isn't anticipation or trigger pull (except for the flyers). It is probably due to your point of aim and the natural movement of your arms/body being held at the same position for a given time. These things affect your grouping but not much between those distances as the round is traveling fairly flat between 7 and 15 yards.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
It's the lug nut behind the trigger getting loose between shots. ;)

Your issue is near and dear to my heart as it also afflicts me! It takes 1/10th of a second to squeeze off a round. Full mag is under 2 seconds of concentrated effort. That's not long! Two flipping seconds, yet I can't seem to hold my concentration for a full mag. Arrrrghhh.

The longer distance makes you concentrate a bit more, so you don't wander as much. Plus you may not be able to see the holes so you don't get distracted by them. At least that was what was explained to me and it does make some sense.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're probably right about me just concentrating harder at longer distances. I'll have to watch for that next time.

He thought I was subconsciously Tightening my grip as I fired. I made a conscious effort to make sure I didnt, and sure enough my groups moved more center.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Aim small for accuracy and tight groups. Don't be aiming for a 3" bull on a close target, aim for a 1/2 inch dot put in the center of the 3" circle. Don't just aim for center of mass on a silhouette, aim for the second button down on an imaginary "shirt" (or put a small dot at COM). Your POI will only get as good as your intended POA.
The apparent (larger) size of the close target center imposed behind your sight picture size gets you sloppy.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
What was the advice that the range master gave you? Or will you have to kill me if you tell me? ;)

You're too far away, so you have to kill yourself after learning it ....:rolleyes:

For me it was (and still is) a case of holding the gun too tightly. Leads to arm and shoulder tension. Plus sympathetic movement of the non-trigger fingers when firing. Changes to the placement of the feet -- wider and farther apart. Changes to weight distribution - farther forward. Changes to posture -- less slouching (my worst area:cry:). Changes to head -- higher up so you can look straight forward with the whole eye. Changes to sharper focus on the front sight and last ... "keep your head in the game!". Meaning to get into the zen zone where you ONLY think about that front sight and holding with the perfect sight picture. And ONLY thinking about that and ONLY that. I fail at it far far more often than not. Even my successes are being in that zen zone for a 4-8 round string. Oh well. At least I can recognize that I shot while thinking about some thing else. I call it "my mental flinch".

Ok, that's the secret --- you know what you have to do!:shock: Just kidding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts