Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now, I have been set on purchasing a XD9 service, but today a new option has entered my mind and is creating quite a dilema. I was looking at a SigPro 2022 or the Sig 229R and wondering how they would compare to the XD.

If there is anyone put there who has experience with the above pistols, ask your self, If you could only get one which would it be and why??? Then if you don't mind please tell me. Yes, I am aware the Sig will reach deeper in my pocket, but then what I am trying to find out is, Is it woth it in the long run.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Well you have quite a dilama here...lol
I own a subcompact and my wife owns an XD service. I also own 3 Sigs, a 2340 which is the polymer model and (2) P229's.
What will you do with it? There are a couple of advantages to the XD and a couple for the Sigs. Ill try to run through some of them for you...first the XD
Its lighter weight
The mags are cheaper to purchase
Its a single action
The mag release is ambidexterous
It has a loaded chamber indicator
Smaller grip

Sig 229
Its alloy and stainless (very durable and maintanance free)
Can change grips
Has a DA/SA action
Has a decocker
Mags are much more durable
Tends to be heavy if carried all day

Sig 2340 (almost same as 2022)
Interchangable grips
very durable finish (stainless slide I think)
DA/SA action
decocker
light weight like the XD
durable mags

I have never had a malfunction in any of my Sigs or either of our XD's. One XD and one Sig see a minimum of 1000 rounds a month. Both guns are VERY accurate. The single action first shot is VERY nice on the XD but some feel more comfortable with a DA/SA action. Sig has a VERY good reputation for durability, reliability and customer service. I carry my subcompact XD during the summer and I carry my Sigs in the winter. I also carry one of my Sigs when I venture into the woods hiking. I almost NEVER worry about wiping down my Sigs but I do take time once a week and wipe down the XD that I carry because it does not have the stainless slide. If I knew I was going to be in the rain, the Sigs have a definite advantage.
The XD mags seem to be made of a softer material than my Sig mags. The XD mags are not bad or anything like that but for instance. My wife shoots USPSA with an XD and I shoot with a Sig. She has stepped on a mag and ruined it before while doing a reload on the run. My Sig mags have been stepped on and kicked across the stage area countless times and I have NEVER had an issue with them. I would say that if I were to own only one of the 3 guns you listed, I would probably choose the 2002 for its lightweight, durablilty, reliability.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Personally, I don't care for Sigs. They are well made, but I do not like the triggers or the price. The XD is reliable, has a better trigger, and cost less.

ranburr

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
General plans are for the range and home defense. Once I feel comfortable with my proficiency and the pistol's reliability, It may be used for carry. I currently have a Glock 27 for carry purposes.

According to the Sig website, the slides are Nitrolon finished, machined stainless steel, a strong selling point in my opinion if carry is in the future. If I was to get the XD, I would have to start with the bi-tone version then send the slide out for Gun Kote to be applied to get the same thing the Sig has, refering to a non-reflective corrosion resistant finish. I was also contemplating having some trigger work done on the XD to reduce the reset travel. I am considering all of this when comparing the prices between the two pistols.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If I was to get the XD, I would have to start with the bi-tone version then send the slide out for Gun Kote to be applied to get the same thing the Sig has, refering to a non-reflective corrosion resistant finish.
The XD Bi tone is a stainless steel slide so gunkote wont add any corrosion resistence to it. nor is it a shiney or reflective surface. instead it is a dull non reflective appearance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me rephrase my comment so that eveyone will understand. I definatly want a stainless slide for corrosion resistance, but I don't want it to look like stainless steel, brushed or otherwise. I would prefer the slide to be 'black' for the lack of a better color descriptor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
repeet said:
Find a range that rents them, and shoot them.
+1

Nothing is going to beat the fact that it feels "right" to you. If you want a black stainless barrell then you'll have to go with Sig I think (or you could get a k-kote, like someone mentioned earlier).

Sigs are pricy, but if you get a CPO you're getting a like-new Sig for about the same price if not a little cheaper than an XD.

Probably shouldn't have asked this question on a forum devoted to the XD though, you'll probably get one or two biased answers (none so far yet though)

Neither is going to treat you wrong as long as you maintain it. Go with what feels the best to you.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
If price doesn't matter, go with the p229. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Let me go way out on a limb here. Have you heard about the weak frame issues with the rail Sigs? Read about it here, GT, or Sigforum. Some LEO are having issues with cracking or something and some are now not allowing them. Feel free to chime in here if you have info. I can attest to the ST series being perfect. I had a 220ST that was malfunction free & freakingly accurate...too bad my buddy liked it so $$$$$$$ much or I'd still own it.
The stainless ST models seem bullet proof. I'd check a bit before I purchased a 220r or 226r. They have the alloy frame (YUCK ZINC MOSQUITO). The older non rail have had very few alloy frame cracking issues in the past, they may be a safer bet. Good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Get them both thats what I did-hehe. I would say its hard to make the chioce my Xd would be in fornt but the unending humidity is cuasing rust with my stianless steal slide on the xd not to happy about that when the sig is fine and many of my other SS toys are as well.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Reliable said:
According to the Sig website, the slides are Nitrolon finished, machined stainless steel, a strong selling point in my opinion if carry is in the future.
I am actually not all that impressed with the Nitron finish, it scratches pretty easily. If you are sold on the Nitron, you can have it done to your XD for around $85.00 on a one week turn around. Fountain Plating (413) 781-4651, in MA does the Nitron finishes for Sig. Contact Fountain direct, if you go through Sig, the price is $150 and a ten week turn around. Personally, I think Tripp's Cobra Coat is a superior finish for $75 and usually a turn around in the same week.

ranburr

·
Registered
782 Posts
If the finish concerns you remember that you can probably refinish an XD and still come out cheaper overall than a Sig.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My cousin has a SIG 226. I do like the "older" ones better than the Pro series. Nice gun with a great trigger and accurate. You can find some good deals on factory referbs police trade-ins which bring the cost down to about what a new XD would go for. A SIG of some type is on my wish list.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You know, it really isn't an easy choice. I've got a Sig P229 and an XD40.

I think the Sig is a better made gun and it will probably outlast the XD, but you pay for that added durability. Both guns are very accurate.

I think the XD is easier to shoot accurately because of the single action trigger, but if you shoot with some regularity the Sig will be just as easy to shoot accurately. I don't think the XD needs trigger work but the Sig benefits from a basic trigger smoothing job and a reduced mainspring.

I carry the Sig all the time, but I carry the XD on longer hikes because it is a bit lighter.

If you want a 40 I would go with the Sig 229 due to the XD40's occasional reputation for being finicky. In a 9mm either gun would be ok by me for reliability.

For home defense I really like the XD with a light attached to the rail and Tritium Fiber Optic sights.

So it is a toss up, and I would say it depends on which feels better and what your gut tells you. I tend to prefer the Sig, but the XD has a lot to offer for a much lower price.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Robar has a stainless steel darkening treatment that also enhances corrosion resistance. Definitely something to look into if your dead set on a dark gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dilema is over, I've made my choice. After renting a Sig 2340 at the range to get a feel for the grips, I found, that for my hands, something was just not right, I don't even know how to describe it other than I was not 100% comfortable. I was very pleased with the double action and the single action. Mechanically I was satisfied with the performance. Then handling the 229, I felt, literally, that the grip was made for MY hand, The fit was perfect. The contours and width filled my hand without any feeling of being over extended at all, reach to the trigger was also good. The 229 held well and felt balanced. Controls were all easily reached and operable. I put a deposit on the 229 in an instant, I should be picking it up in a few weeks when funds are available.

I do plan on adding an XD to my inventory in the future. The feel and fit of the XD grip is outstanding in my opinion and the piece is well made and feels solid. No Questions, an outstanding pistol.

A major driving factor in my decision is for about 15 years I have always desired a Sig but felt I was never able to afford one. Well some things came together recently and an opportunity to fulfill one of my desires has come into reach. Not to expand on the six page thread currently running, but I chose the 9mm for cost of ammo, control, and a statement I read that said A single well place shot from a 9 will be more effectice than 12 'edge' shots from a 40.

Thanks all for your assistance.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Congrats on your desicion! I bought my 2340 first because I too always wanted a Sig. Then came my XDsub but I still craved a CLASSIC Sig. Well some things came together for me as well so i bought 2 of them...lol One to use in limited-10 USPSA (.40) and the other in .357 for carry. My .40 shots awesome and pretty smooth. I would imagine that in 9, it would be a real dream.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts