Springfield XD Forum banner

I need help choosing!!! DD or Stag...

26K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  x5emix 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Get the DD, hands down. Stay away from Stag and the DD is better than Spikes. You are getting a MUCH better rifle for that $200. Buy once cry once.

Also read this thread to get a better understanding. EVERYONE interested in the AR platform should read it.

Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums

Might seem like a lot(and it is), but you will be better off knowing what you are getting into.

#4 ·
I've got two Stags and love them. One is a carbine that I got for around $900 (after taxes) The other I pieced together by buying a complete Stag upper and then piecing together a stripped lower - I saved about $300 bucks off of buying the gun complete (cost me about $700 altogether to build an A4gery). Both are left-handed models or else I would have saved more.

Daniels Defense makes good stuff but Stag does not make crap. I don't think you will be disappointed with either. The Stag is nothing more than a baseline AR (as mil-spec as possible but no real improvements) and so functions fine. I will say the Stag is machined and finished much better than what I had in the Army - no tooling marks, no play between the upper and lower, and everything is tight with no rattle. I have no experience with Daniels rifles.

#5 ·
If you've got the money, then DD for sure. 2nd choice is Stag, 3rd Spikes. (My personal preference). Not that other are bad, just DD has a much better reputation.

Just my $0.02 :twisted:

#8 ·
If you plan on shooting 75-80 gr. heavier bullets you want to look for a barrel with a 1/7 twist. The DD has it. Spikes Have it (I think its an option). bcm has it.

The stag arms and the RRA have a 1/9 twist, not a big deal if you plan on shooting lighter bullets.

The DD also has a free float rail, a better magpul adjustable stock, a nice vertical foregrip, an enhanced trigger guard for gloves. If those are things you are going to end up buying down the line it you will save money getting it now.
the DD has a fixed rear sight which is a negative if you want a flip up sight.

I will say a plus on the stag is they are very lightweight. and the rear a.r.m.s. rear flip up sights are excellent.

both rifles are excellent. also you can save a bunch if you purchase your stag lower and upper separate.

#13 ·
Definitely get the Daniels. If money is an issue, look at the Daniels DDXV, their basic model. You can usually find them for less than $1000.

As far as Stag, my one experience with them was terrible. PM if you want details. Also, while a few features on a Stag meet mil-spec, the rifle overall is not.

#16 ·
I ended up ordering the Daniel Defense M4 V1. The specs speak for them selves:

Defense M4 Carbine will prove to be the benchmark in the industry.
  • Lower Receiver: Mil-Spec with Enhanced Flared Magazine Well and Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point
  • Upper Receiver: Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps
  • Barrel: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 twist, 16″ M4 Profile, Carbine Gas System, Chrome Lined, MP tested, and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate coated
  • Chamber: 5.56 NATO
  • Flash Hider: A2 Birdcage Flash Hider
  • Bolt Carrier Group: Mil-Spec MP Tested, Properly Staked Gas Key
  • Buffer: H Buffer
  • Sights: Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight; Pinned “F” Marked Front Sight Base
  • Handguard: Daniel Defense Omega X Rail™ 12.0 FSP
  • Buttstock: MAGPUL MOE Buttstock & Mil-Spec Receiver Extension
  • Magazine: MAGPUL 30 round PMag in Black
  • Vertical Grip: Daniel Defense A2 Styling Vertical Grip
  • Case: Comes with Custom Daniel Defense Full-Latch Impact Plastic Case
  • Made in the USA!
For $200.00 bucks more. I don't think I can go wrong!

#21 ·
Great, sounds like I made the right decision! Thanks for the support guys!!!

#23 ·
In my humble opinion, the quality of the barrel is paramount. I've used two DD barrels for builds. They're excellent! Prefer them to any that I've used so far. If you have a good barrel and a good trigger assembly, then it's pretty hard to screw up an AR.

However, if you use the words "LaRue" and/or "Noveske" in posts on this forum, some folks will think you're a Real Rambolista Guru! :cool:

#24 ·
:cool:Tell me what you think. Nothing fancy, this is my first AR:

Daniel Defense M4 V1
Eotech 512
Primary Arms 3x Deluxe Magnifier w/ Flip to Side Mount
Daniel Defense Fore Grip
Magpul MIAD Grip
Magpul But Stock
Magpul Trigger Guard
Magpul Gen 2 Backup Sight
Magpul Rail Grips
Streamlight TRL-1s
PMAGs

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.