Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one?

My 13 yr old son will be shooting our XDm9 3.9 a lot in the next few months but he's having a bitch of a time pulling shots down. I'm thinking the stock trigger is too much for him and want to lighten it up.

Springer or PRP?

Should I install the parts my self or send it in? Is the added shipping cost worth it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I prefer Springer triggers due to the quality parts that he uses. You will never break one of his trigger bars. I send mine in to him.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not that bad to do on your own. The most important thing is to make sure you study the sear area, take a couple of detail pics to make sure you can get it back together correctly. I have a XDm 3.8" 40 and I just did a lot of work myself. If for some reason you get stuck there is plenty of info here and on a couple other sites to get you past the hang up. I would be more them happy to answer any questions you have if you get stuck also. I'm not sure what they charge to install parts but I'm sure its not cheap. Here is a list of my changes and ones that will happen in the near future. As far as where you get the parts I think its safe to say you are going to get the same high quality parts from either of the two main part sites.

If you have ANY doubt about your ability to do it yourself then send it in to be done. It is always better to be safe then sorry.

Parts I’ve replaced
X-Treme Grips(Rubber)
PRP Titanium Striker Safety Kit
PRP Reduced Power Spring Kit(Sear & Trigger Springs)
PRP Easy Fit Over Travel Stop
PRP Titanium Striker Status Indicator Kit
PRP Stainless Steel Ejector
PRP Striker Safety Lever
PRP Stainless Steel Pin Set
PRP Striker Retainer Pin(Set of 3)
PG Aluminum Striker Spring Guide

All mags have Pearce grip extensions

Changes to come
PRP Stainless Steel Extended Mag Release
PRP Sear with improved release angle(Still not sure)
The "EZ Grip" safety
Sights

Everything not replaced is stripped down to the chrome
and polished to mirror finish.
Take down lever & slide lock also done.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The PRP kit is very easy to do. The new kit has all adjustments done without having to take it all back apart.

Do it yourself. PRP ultimate kit and by doing it yourself you can get the polished striker too and still be under the cost of sending it in. I kept the factory springs and after polishing it feels very light - wouldn't want it any lighter.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I prefer Springer triggers due to the quality parts that he uses. You will never break one of his trigger bars. I send mine in to him.
+1 here!! Sent my XDM to Springer and LOVE it!! Fantastic work, I could not be happier with it!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am gonna have to cast my vote for PRP. Incredible results, very fast service. I am most assuredly biased. The trigger PRP put in mine is the same one Springfield's custom shop uses, and it has an integral over-travel stop instead of using internal additions which press against other parts, etc. Be it as it may, I have never heard a cross word about either company, and I am sure they both provide the highest caliber service and work.

PRP all the way!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I put my second PRP Ultimate kit in and it took less the fifteen minutes to complete ,once you know how to hold all the different components and where they go it's easy, unless a little fitting is required like on my XDM45(trigger wouldn't reset unless it was lightly tapped forward),they are almost as nice as mt 1911's now.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
IMO only. I would look to reducing the pre and over travel in the trigger more than pull weight. It is generally the long pull that throws off aim. Maybe a lb or so off the trigger weight - that can usually be had with proper polishing of the internals and a few minutes time. For a new shooter a real light trigger may be not the safest option.
Pull length can be achieved with either kit. Get the full kit but stay with the stock springs installed to start. Then, later work down the pull weight a spring at a time. Just IMO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the PRP Ultimate kit is definitely a good one, I installed mine myself, if you've ever assembled model kits as a kid, then you can easily install the trigger kits yourself, and PRP has a youtube channel which shows you in detail how to do it, which I found very helpful as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO only. I would look to reducing the pre and over travel in the trigger more than pull weight. It is generally the long pull that throws off aim. Maybe a lb or so off the trigger weight - that can usually be had with proper polishing of the internals and a few minutes time. For a new shooter a real light trigger may be not the safest option.
Pull length can be achieved with either kit. Get the full kit but stay with the stock springs installed to start. Then, later work down the pull weight a spring at a time. Just IMO.
ThumperIII, Point well taken! I'll install the PRP Ultimate kit myself, using the factory springs to start. The fact that Brownell's carries the PRP kit is reassuring and PRP's videos make it look sooo easy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had the PRP kit and Springer kits in my guns in the past and have the ultimate match in my XDM 40. It's nice but doesn't hold a candle to Rich from Canyon Creeks work. He did my 4.5 XDM 9mm and my XDM 45. It's the best trigger short of a 1911 ever. I dry fire my different guns back to back and there is a big difference. The PRP kit has a harder pull and much more creep than my Canyon Creek guns. I've done my own work in the past, but I just don't think the average person can do as good a job as a smith like Rich, Scott from Springer or Daniel from PRP. My new XDM 5.25 is at Rich's right now getting the full package. (trigger, .100 front sight, barrel fitting, etc) Give him a call, you'd be surprised how reasonably priced his work is.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I ordered my XDM directly from PRP, with their carry trigger installed. That trigger action is the bomb!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've had the PRP kit and Springer kits in my guns in the past and have the ultimate match in my XDM 40. It's nice but doesn't hold a candle to Rich from Canyon Creeks work. He did my 4.5 XDM 9mm and my XDM 45. It's the best trigger short of a 1911 ever. I dry fire my different guns back to back and there is a big difference. The PRP kit has a harder pull and much more creep than my Canyon Creek guns. I've done my own work in the past, but I just don't think the average person can do as good a job as a smith like Rich, Scott from Springer or Daniel from PRP. My new XDM 5.25 is at Rich's right now getting the full package. (trigger, .100 front sight, barrel fitting, etc) Give him a call, you'd be surprised how reasonably priced his work is.
There is no creep in my PRP trigger whatsoever.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ordered my XDM directly from PRP, with their carry trigger installed. That trigger action is the bomb!!
That would be why there is no creep as it was installed by a smith as I said in my post. The self installs don't turn out as nice. That's why my 5.25 is at Canyon Creek

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
The self installs don't turn out as nice. That's why my 5.25 is at Canyon Creek
I don't know if I could agree with that. I have the "Match Easy" kit in my XDm and there is no pre-travel or overtravel. Reset is much shorter and the pull has been lightened to around 4#. I don't know how the trigger could be any better. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts