Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made the leap in getting into Reloading
Please give me your opinions on my choice and why if you choose to.
I do not shoot competitions
I got these goodies for starters.

Hornady Lock and load auto progressive press
Hornady 9 mm die set
Hornady .223 die set
Hornady .223 shell plate
Hornady 9mm shell plate
Hornady Lock and Load die bushing 3 pk
Power pull bullet puller
Hornady one shot case lube
MTM primer flipper
Lyman Scale funnel pan
1 lbs Blue dot
8 lbs Alliant power Pistol
8 lbs Hodgdon powder H335
5 MTM mag 100 9mm shell case
100 Winchester small pistol primers
5000 Federal small pistol primers
2000 Winchester small rifle primers
1000 rainier 9 mm 115gr RN
2000 Berry MFG 9 mm 115gr RNDS
1600 Winchester 9 mm 115gr RN
2000 Winchester .223 55 gr FMJ BT
Lyman Reload Book
Cen-Tech digital caliper
Pittsburgh digital scale
Lyman Turbo Tumbler

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Looks like you're off to a good start.

Just remember to take your time and double check everything. Due diligence now can and will save you a lot of frustrations later. Heck, I've been reloading for a few years now and I hate to admit it, but I made a bit of a mistake tonight while loading some precision .308... I didnt notice that one of the cases wasn't fully de-primed and I basically re-seated the old primer in the case and then proceeded to fill with powder and seat the bullet... I didnt notice until later when I was putting the reloads into the ammo box.

After a quick facepalm, I simply pulled the bullet, dumped the powder and then de-primed, re-primed, re-filled and re-seated.. It was a simple mistake that cost me another 30 mins in frustrations.

Speaking of which, you should invest in a bullet puller.. They can be very, very handy.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Congrats on joining the reloading fraternity. Just take your time and check, check and double check your charges until you are accustomed to your new equipment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, I did get a bullet puller. do i need a cam lock trimmer? is that for cases that have been loaded many times or loads that were hot? I do not plan on loading HOT loads . just loads that function well with the gun. Im getting into reloading to save money and make sure ammo is always available to me.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I did get a bullet puller. do i need a cam lock trimmer? is that for cases that have been loaded many times or loads that were hot? I do not plan on loading HOT loads . just loads that function well with the gun. Im getting into reloading to save money and make sure ammo is always available to me.
You will need to trim the .223 cases at some point but not the 9mm cases.
Measure your .223 cases before loading to be sure they are not over the max length.

don

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
A good kit for sure. I would NOT buy more than 1# of powder for any choice just starting out. You may find you hate your 8# of powder & it will take along time to burn that up. Better, get 1 or 2 1# cans & do load dev. When you find what you like, then lay in 8# jugs. Does it cost you a tiny bit more per load, sure, but that beats having 7# of fertilizer on hand for $100.
I don't know anything about that dig scale but a caveat on dig scales, I have not seen one under $100 that is really accurate. You'll want a scale weight check set to verify the scale & then check it often. I would rather have a good beam scale than a cheap dig scale anyday. Also another good reloading manual, never can have enough ref data. The Speer #14 is a good one, avoid the Lee.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I like the Hornady stuff, I have a lot of it myself.

I note that you don't appear to have a single-stage press. IMO, people starting out reloading should start on a single stage, so that they can understand all the steps involved, and more importantly, understand the feel of what it's like to resize a case, seat a bullet, and so on.

You will want a single-stage press, for things like bullet pulling and working up loads. I think you'll find the progressive more than a bit cumbersome for doing things like that.

Otherwise, nice collection of equipment.

BTW, I agree w/ Fred--while I think you got away with your powder purchases this time--they're pretty standard--buy small amounts and work up loads. Then when you find good recipes, you can buy in bulk.

I do have one question: Why the Blue Dot?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply, The blue dot was purchased because while in bass pro looking at the powders a older gentlemen asked me if I was a bit confused. I said yes...he asked a few questions, I answerd them . He then said you cant go wrong with blue do. so I took his advise. I have learned alot since that day and am still reading at night till my eyes are blood shot. lol. After reading on scales the last two days i just purchased a New RCBS 1010 Scale model 9073 tonight on Ebay for $143.79 Free shipping. I returned the digital scale.

I have tumbled clean over 2000 9mm brass and over a hundred .223 the last two days. I have more .223 brass somewhere but cant find it....but iI will .Im waiting on 4 cans of Hornady one shot gun cleaner and dry lube i ordered to finish getting the press all together to run. I will shortly be looking next into a case trimmer. recommedations would be great.
A friend let me borrow a Speer#12 guide and a Nosler #4 guide.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
VM, if you are going to process a lot of rifle brass, then a pwoer trimmer of some kind will save you a lot of time & hassle. The Lyman is good, so is the Hornady prep center, pricey though. All fo the hand trimmers are about the same, they do the job, just more tedious to use.
The BD powder you bought will work fine for full power 9mm, ut would never be my first choice, a bit slow for anything but full power loads. PP will be a better choice & many are happy using nothing else. I prefer WSF, a tiny bit slower but less blast for sim vel loads. Other powder that run well from mild to wild are Unique, Universal, & HS6. W231 is on the edge of too fast for full power ammo & anything faster should be chosen for light to medium loads only.
Rifle powders are way more finicky than pistol powders. A rifle can show a distinct pref for one powder over another, why I suggested you buy 1# cans & try them. If all you wan is AR blasting ammo, any rifle powder will do. If you are trying to develope the most accurate load for say a bolt gun, then try 3 or 4 diff powders that will give you hte vel range you want w/o max pressures.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Thanks for the reply, The blue dot was purchased because while in bass pro looking at the powders a older gentlemen asked me if I was a bit confused. I said yes...he asked a few questions, I answerd them . He then said you cant go wrong with blue do. so I took his advise. I have learned alot since that day and am still reading at night till my eyes are blood shot. lol. After reading on scales the last two days i just purchased a New RCBS 1010 Scale model 9073 tonight on Ebay for $143.79 Free shipping. I returned the digital scale.

I have tumbled clean over 2000 9mm brass and over a hundred .223 the last two days. I have more .223 brass somewhere but cant find it....but iI will .Im waiting on 4 cans of Hornady one shot gun cleaner and dry lube i ordered to finish getting the press all together to run. I will shortly be looking next into a case trimmer. recommedations would be great.
A friend let me borrow a Speer#12 guide and a Nosler #4 guide.
The one I use for .223 is the Possum Hollow trimmer. Fast, accurate, reasonably-priced.

Too bad about the digital scale. I have the Dillon model, and it's the nuts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Fred for the Info. Im just loading the 9 mm for tactical practice and the .223 for blasting but later once I get my feet wet , I will be trying to load some accurate loads for my 300 win mag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts