Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I live in Joplin Mo. and Sunday we got hit by a F5 tornado that took half our town. I went to a friends house to shoot sat and left it with him for some sights to be put on and needless to say it got blown away. The gun is the least of my worries as my home was spared from the tornado. I've been helping go door to door of what's left of houses looking for survivors or for the deceased. We are now at a death toll of 122 and sad to say we still have miles of houses and businesses to search.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you've been doing the good samaritan thing, and are helping out during the aftermath. We in Minnesota caught the small end of it and thankfully casualties are minimal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm happy to hear you were spared. I live on the other side of the state where we were hit during Easter weekend.I was spared also and nobody died but i've seen the videos and it truly made my blood run cold and scared the crap out of this catholic boy!!! I hope that my prayers can help all of those people! I cannot emagine! Anyway hang tough because you have tomarrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My prayers are with you. Don't worry about your gun, worry bout your family first. Everything else is replaceable.
Yeah it was just on my mind at the time because we now have people looting from the destroyed homes and I just hope it doesnt end up in the wrong hands. I've been holding a chain saw for hours cutting away trying to find others. We lost 25% of our town and over 8000 structures being homes, schools, businesses and a hospital.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
When we had our tornados here the police would collect the found weapons and hold them for owners to claim them. When things calm down some contact the local depts to see who is storing them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we had our tornados here the police would collect the found weapons and hold them for owners to claim them. When things calm down some contact the local depts to see who is storing them.
Thanks didn't think to ask with everything going on. To see the distruction you can go to YouTube and search Joplin tornado. Joplin is a strong community and without a dobt we will pull through this. Strangers not effected by the storm as well as my self have opened our homes to others for food, shelter and showers. They are stating that it will take use around 8 years to fully bounce back.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are one of those affected by this tragedy. Our prayers goes out to you and others that have been affected by this calamity...Just like what was mentioned above, you might want to get in touch with your local PD to check/report the loss...

·
Registered
464 Posts
My and my family,s prayers will be for you and your family.
keep up the good work. sorry about the XD.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are one of those affected by this tragedy. Our prayers goes out to you and others that have been affected by this calamity...Just like what was mentioned above, you might want to get in touch with your local PD to check/report the loss...
Exactly..report to LEO that it was lost..that way the SN is in the database..if it shows up...they can recover it!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thoughts and Prayers.

Although finding your XDM is the least of your problems, it would be cool for you to find it, and see if it still functions after getting sucked into a F5 tornado.

·
Registered
678 Posts
We've been following the story on the news. Glad you made it through OK!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad it was just a gun, But I hope America wakes up and puts America first, No Japan, No any other, until we get our own people secured and back on thier feet!

·
Premium Member
127,260 Posts
Exactly..report to LEO that it was lost..that way the SN is in the database..if it shows up...they can recover it!

Sooner rather than later. My brother had a pistol stolen from his parked car a few years back and the LEOs appreciated being notified ASAP.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Would it be inappropriate of me to ask how/where you rode out the tornado?

Though the possibility of my town being hit is slim to none, it's been a good time to go over some of these scenarios with the family.

Thanks and continue to be safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would it be inappropriate of me to ask how/where you rode out the tornado?

Though the possibility of my town being hit is slim to none, it's been a good time to go over some of these scenarios with the family.

Thanks and continue to be safe.
Not inappropriate at all. We being my fiancé, 2 dogs and myself got into a little closet in the middle of my house. It was one of the loudest things I have ever heard. What made it more terrifying is that we lost power, electric and all other communications even radio so we didn't know when it was over. Right before it hit us we saw it on the TV screen coming right at us. That is the last thing we have seen on TV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about the devastation in your town and the loss of life. You didn't mention whether your friend and his family made it to safety - I'm hoping they did. Our thoughts are energy are with you!
Yes thanks for asking didn't even think about it but yes he and his family made it through it. He has a storm cellar that they got into. The death toll has now moved up to 126 and were praying for the others that still haven't been located. At this point in time they're estimating around 800 still unaccounted for.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Wow Im glad your ok. I had a scary night a couple nights ago here in a IA with funnel clouds and the winds were so loud that it scared the bejesus out of ya.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wife and father in law were in Joplin Sunday while I was in Springfield at a gun show. She was at her uncles house on Oliver, just off 26th. It was destroyed, but she, and everyone else, got out okay. She had a Bersa in her Jeep. The Jeep is wrecked, I don't know where her pistol wound up. Her Uncle had a great S&W model 28. They haven't found it in the rubble yet.
You're right about Joplin, it's a great town and good people and it will bounce back. It'll be an uphill battle at times, but it'll happen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts