Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
No answers because you are perhaps the only one who likes the stock XD trigger! Keep the faith, brother, don't give up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my XD used from a friend, he said it was smooth right from the start,
only got better. So, that's why I love it, I doubt I'll ever do anything to it, except maybe send it to Robar for NP3 at some point.
One of my 1911s came stock with a great trigger, a Springer "Loaded" model. I had it Robar NP3/Roguard treated and the trigger is maybe 2-3 lbs. A pleasure to shoot in IDPA. Sometimes you just get lucky. :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like my trigger too. It breaks consistantly at 4.25 lbs. Its not as low and smooth as I hope to get it after I pick up a 1911 for CC!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd bet if you shot one that has been modified (Powder River or other trigger kit) you would be singing a different tune. It's a nice trigger for stock, but definitely has room for improvement.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
No answers because you are perhaps the only one who likes the stock XD trigger! Keep the faith, brother, don't give up!
Hey, now! I like the stock trigger just fine! Don't know what the actual pull weight is, but it suits me okay.
I'd bet if you shot one that has been modified (Powder River or other trigger kit) you would be singing a different tune. It's a nice trigger for stock, but definitely has room for improvement.
Probably true. I must admit I would like a bit less take-up before it breaks...

All in all though, I think the stock trigger is a lot better than a lot of my friends' guns.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I must admit I would like a bit less take-up before it breaks...
You should consider switching out the sear to the Springer drop-in sear. The take-up will be nearly gone, a tad will come off the pull-weight, and the break will be crisper. You can keep the springs the same unless you want to drop the pull weight even more.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You should consider switching out the sear to the Springer drop-in sear. The take-up will be nearly gone, a tad will come off the pull-weight, and the break will be crisper. You can keep the springs the same unless you want to drop the pull weight even more.
Is this something that can be done in concert with the Powder River trigger kit? Or is it an either or situation? The reason I ask is, I would like to wind up with a lot shorter take up, crisper break and a 3.5lbs trigger. Is that do-able on a Tactical .45?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Is this something that can be done in concert with the Powder River trigger kit?......I would like to wind up with a lot shorter take up, crisper break and a 3.5lbs trigger.
No, it is either the Springer sear, or the Powder River safety lever, since they are both designed to reduce pre-travel.

The Springer kit reduces pre-travel through a replacement sear. The break is crisper due to it being polished and its particular shape. This also reduces the pull weight a bit.

The Powder River kit reduces pre-travel through a replacement safety lever. The sear is not changed, so the break and weight are unchanged.

The weight can be further reduced (in either kit) by replacing the sear spring and/or trigger spring. The Springer Sear and both springs will probably get what you say you want. But, the Powder River safety lever (and springs) is cheaper and you could do some polishing of the sear yourself.

You didn't mention reducing the over-travel (how far the trigger travel moves after it breaks). Both gunsmiths have options for that, too. The mods to reduce over-travel often require additional fitting to make sure everything is operating reliably. The kits to reduce pre-travel (sear or safety lever) typically won't require fitting.

I experimented with a few set-ups and went with the Springer sear and factory springs. I also haven't changed the over-travel and reset. This is my primary carry gun. I seriously doubt the over-travel will matter in a high-pressure situation, but getting that first shot off accurately is critical.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
No, it is either the Springer sear, or the Powder River safety lever, since they are both designed to reduce pre-travel.

The Springer kit reduces pre-travel through a replacement sear. The break is crisper due to it being polished and its particular shape. This also reduces the pull weight a bit.

The Powder River kit reduces pre-travel through a replacement safety lever. The sear is not changed, so the break and weight are unchanged.

The weight can be further reduced (in either kit) by replacing the sear spring and/or trigger spring. The Springer Sear and both springs will probably get what you say you want.

You didn't mention reducing the over-travel (how far the trigger travel moves after it breaks). Both gunsmiths have options for that, too. The mods to reduce over-travel often require additional fitting to make sure everything is operating reliably. The kits to reduce pre-travel (sear or safety lever) typically won't require fitting.

I experimented with a few set-ups and went with the Springer sear and factory springs. I also haven't changed the over-travel and reset. (I don't want to risk the gun firing any more than I intend in a high-pressure situation.) This is my primary carry gun.
D_Fence, thanks for the info and I would say that in essence I do agree with you about not wanting the gun to fire prematurely in a High pressure situation. I did think that I would like to reduce the over travel and reset, but if that would make it too much of a hair type trigger then I do not want that. My dad has a couple of Kimbers and they both break at 3.5lbs and I do like the way that works, it just feels really sweet, but I would not want it any less than that for my carry weapon either.
Thanks again, donxdm40

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
D_Fence, thanks for the info and I would say that in essence I do agree with you about not wanting the gun to fire prematurely in a High pressure situation. I did think that I would like to reduce the over travel and reset, but if that would make it too much of a hair type trigger then I do not want that. My dad has a couple of Kimbers and they both break at 3.5lbs and I do like the way that works, it just feels really sweet, but I would not want it any less than that for my carry weapon either.
Thanks again, donxdm40
I recall the early tests of the Springer sear and it appeared that no matter how heavy the strock trigger, the Springer sear got the pull weight down to about 4 pounds. The heaver the stock trigger, the more noticeable the difference. The sear doesn't take off X pounds no matter what. If you already have trigger in the 4 pound range, it isn't going to drop to 2 pounds. But, a 6 pound trigger might drop to just over 4. Adding the sear spring took off an average of another .5 pound. The trigger spring presumably takes off a little more. Of course, you could always go to a gunsmith and ask to measure the pull weight if you are trying to keep it over a certain amount for courtroom purposes.

With the pretravel reduced and both lower weight springs installed, you will still be far away from having a so-called "hair trigger." With the remaining pre-travel, some creep, 3 to 4 pounds of weight, and the trigger and grip safeties, the gun will still require an intentional act to fire.

The first shot taken comes down more to trigger finger discipline than the weight and length of the trigger. The tweaks on trigger pull and and pre-travel will help accuracy as a result of fewer motions needed to make the gun fire. The safety versus accuracy trade-off is worth it. On the other hand, for a combat/carry gun with virutally no overtravel and little reset, I've been a little more shy about the safety versus utility tradeoff. By definition, a gun with virtually no overtravel and little reset is designed to fire a follow-up shot easier.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I liked mine too, but I was pulling off target. I dropped in the Springer kit, and now centered hits are what I get. It's a hint lighter, and a hint smoother. It's enough to matter. Well worth the money, time, and effort.

I don't mind a long pull and reset, as I'm also a revolver shooter. The XD is my first auto in a few years. Like 10 (or more) years maybe??? A 1911 style trigger, which a ton of people love, is foreign to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I also am pretty pleased with my stock XD trigger after a little break-in. I shoot bulls-eye competition and a Euro-uber-competition air pistol, so I regard myself as somewhat of a trigger snob. The XD trigger seems just right for my carry gun.

Ain't no way I want to measuring-up my X-ring fine motor skills when I'm trying to not get killed. I reckon any such engagement is likely to be kinetic enough that my body will be working on the "pounds" scale rather than "ounces". Defensive pistols are made for solving 10in problems under 10yds, not 4in problems at 50yds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts