Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been belabored over and over again so I must apologize for bringing it up once again. I will admit I am considered a newb and I am looking into getting my first ccw and it has come down to the xdm 9mm or the .40. The price difference between the two is not enough for me to automatically go with the 9mm. I have held both but only shot a 9mm; I can't find anywhere in the area that will rent out the .40. Considering this, I do feel comfortable with the 9mm but am drawn to the ongoing arguement (also may be a slight "all or nothing" mindset, that is between the 9mm and .40, no .45 for the time being) that the larger caliber is the way to go. I have shot my father-in-law's full size .45, I can't recall make and model, and fared quite well. All that to ask, is the .40 significantly more "snappy" than the 9mm, and considering this will be my first ccw which would be more practical. I should add that I do plan on shooting quite often...still dreaming that my paper bin laden is the real one.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Its all what you want in the end. I went with the 3.8 compact .40 and love it. You with be happy with either. Good luck and happy shooting!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Both are great guns.
I went with 9mm for a few reasons.
Cheaper ammo means I can shoot more.
It holds more rounds. 14 total with 1 in the pipe, for the compact mag and 19 more in my back up mag. So with only 1 spare mag on me I have 33 rounds with which to dis batch the bad guys.
Less recoil means my follow up shot ,if needed is faster. And a better chance if it being on target as well.
Less recoil means my wife can control it better if she has to use it.
I'm more if the mind set that putting rounds where you want them is better then bigger holes. And for me, the 9mm is what I shoot best.

Pick the one that you can best shoot, and best suits your needs. Not the one the internet told you to buy.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
both are good calibers, I have been a 9mm fan for years and years...I got my XDm in .40 so I could carry with 40 and have the option to practice and carry in 9mm if I wanted to. Having a 40 allows you to get a 9mm barrel...but not the other way around. I like options.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Both are great guns.
It holds more rounds. 14 total with 1 in the pipe, for the compact mag and 19 more in my back up mag. So with only 1 spare mag on me I have 33 rounds with which to dis batch the bad guys.
Less recoil means my follow up shot ,if needed is faster. And a better chance if it being on target as well.
I'm more if the mind set that putting rounds where you want them is better then bigger holes. And for me, the 9mm is what I shoot best.

Pick the one that you can best shoot, and best suits your needs. Not the one the internet told you to buy.

Enjoy.
THIS ^^^

Though, I own the .40 cal XDm...I would stir you to 9mm if this is your first and only gun. You can shoot roughly 30 9mm vs 20 of .40 cal for the same price (ammo wise) and the recoil is less.

I am a .40 cal fan but budget being real...I want to shoot cheaper when possible (that is why I also have a .22LR :D )

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
9mm.

Ammo is cheaper, it has higher capacity, and with modern well-designed JHP's, the performance difference is basically nil (with some 9mm actually outperforming similar .40 loads in some areas).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Both are great guns.

Enjoy.
this is the same reason i picked a 9mm xdm 4.5 i love it and just remember if some one is shooting at me im not sticking around to see if it is 9mm or 40

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The .40 is snappier than the 9mm and the .45.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer to shoot 9mm because i can put more rounds downrange accurately faster. Ballistics don't really matter to me, its about shot placement, not who has the bigger bullet. You can shoot someone in the arm with a bigger caliber and they will keep coming, but any round in center mass will stop someone. 9mm is much more controllable for faster follow up shots.... IMO...and its cheaper to shoot...

yes, 40 is significantly more snappier

·
Registered
43 Posts
Get the 9 -the 40 cal. is too good. If you buy the 40 1st you'll have a hard time justifying the purchase of the .45 or 9mm later. the differences between these two calibers is pretty small. I'd get the 9mm now and set your sights on the .45 down the road. It really is such a nice gun there shouldn't be any reason not to have 2.:)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I prefer to shoot 9mm because i can put more rounds downrange accurately faster. Ballistics don't really matter to me, its about shot placement, not who has the bigger bullet. You can shoot someone in the arm with a bigger caliber and they will keep coming, but any round in center mass will stop someone. 9mm is much more controllable for faster follow up shots.... IMO...and its cheaper to shoot...

yes, 40 is significantly more snappier
Not to start a terminal ballistics debate but, NO any round center mass will not drop someone. The round has to penetrate a blood bearing organ or the CNS. Unless the round hits the CNS it will also not drop the bad guy instantly. Depending on the wound channel it will take some time to for him to bleed out to the point where he will stop. Even if the bullet ruptures the heart he still has +- 15 seconds of fight in him.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not to start a terminal ballistics debate but, NO any round center mass will not drop someone. The round has to penetrate a blood bearing organ or the CNS. Unless the round hits the CNS it will also not drop the bad guy instantly. Depending on the wound channel it will take some time to for him to bleed out to the point where he will stop. Even if the bullet ruptures the heart he still has +- 15 seconds of fight in him.
Well, .50 BMG would probably do it, but no handgun round is a guaranteed one shot stop without a CNS hit.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am a fan of the 9mm round and don't necessarily prescribe to the "bigger is always better" mentality but I do believe that energy transfer from a bullet is something that should not be so easily dismissed by people. People tend to only look at two angles... "I can get more 9's in an attacker than you can 45's so capacity alone makes the 9 a winner" and the other argument is usually "I can put larger holes in an attacker with my 45 than you can with your 9 so size alone makes the 45 is a winner" but something people seem to easily dismiss is the energy transfer of the bullet into the surrounding organs and tissue near the penetrating hole. Capacity and size (and the occasional "better follow up") angles are not the only angles when it comes to choosing a caliber or cartridge.

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
I am a fan of the 9mm round and don't necessarily prescribe to the "bigger is always better" mentality but I do believe that energy transfer from a bullet is something that should not be so easily dismissed by people. People tend to only look at two angles... "I can get more 9's in an attacker than you can 45's so capacity alone makes the 9 a winner" and the other argument is usually "I can put larger holes in an attacker with my 45 than you can with your 9 so size alone makes the 45 is a winner" but something people seem to easily dismiss is the energy transfer of the bullet into the surrounding organs and tissue near the penetrating hole. Capacity and size (and the occasional "better follow up") angles are not the only angles when it comes to choosing a caliber or cartridge.
Energy transfer is a non-quantifiable event--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't--where hypovolemic shock (that is bleeding out)works every time...which is why "energy transfer" is considered a poor way of judging effectivenss.

I'd rather have a 350 ft/lb KE bullet that expands to 125% of caliber and penetrates 12+ inches than one that has 600ft/lbs, 200% expansion, and only penetrates 10.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not saying it is a good way of judging effectiveness... just letting some people know that quantity and size are not the only things they *must* go by. Even though it is hard to gauge with consistency... kinetic energy dispensation does occur when being shot and this ballistic pressure wave does have an effect on internal damage. It does hold about as much weight as "bigger is better" or "more is better" when neither of those really mean squat without proper placement.

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
Not saying it is a good way of judging effectiveness... just letting some people know that quantity and size are not the only things they *must* go by. Even though it is hard to gauge with consistency... kinetic energy dispensation does occur when being shot and this ballistic pressure wave does have an effect on internal damage. It does hold about as much weight as "bigger is better" or "more is better" when neither of those really mean squat without proper placement.
The pressure wave really has minimal effect at most handgun velocities...and definitely not at .40 or 9mm velocities. And what effect it does have is usually very, very dependent on the medium it travels through--inelastic organs like the liver and brain can be effected more by it, yes, but elastic organs like the lungs, heart, and blood vessels are relatively immune (and guess what's in the "A" zone...).

Again, it's why when people who look at this stuff professionally tend to dismiss it as being too hit or miss (pun intended) to be consdiered an effective mechanism for incapacitation.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Ballistics pressure wave is a myth perpetuated by the wacko Micheal Courtney. He has not proven it's existence and his information quoted from other researchers does not backup his claim. Most, if not all the data he uses is from blast effects from high explosives not projectiles. Shooting racoons while submerging them in buckets full of water prove nothing.

We're not discussing, "I'm a crappy shot what bullet should I get". We're discussing "all things being equal which bullet will RELIABLY put a bad guy down faster". The edge always goes to the bullet that penetrated the deepest and expands to the largest diameter. Kinetic energy transfer into the surrounding tissue causes no significant wounding.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The pressure wave really has minimal effect at most handgun velocities...and definitely not at .40 or 9mm velocities. And what effect it does have is usually very, very dependent on the medium it travels through--inelastic organs like the liver and brain can be effected more by it, yes, but elastic organs like the lungs, heart, and blood vessels are relatively immune (and guess what's in the "A" zone...).

Again, it's why when people who look at this stuff professionally tend to dismiss it as being too hit or miss (pun intended) to be consdiered an effective mechanism for incapacitation.
Cuda, his pressure wave is not the TC it's the Courtney's magic wave that will cause brain damage and death even when the bullet strikes a limb.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Not to start a terminal ballistics debate but, NO any round center mass will not drop someone. The round has to penetrate a blood bearing organ or the CNS. Even if the bullet ruptures the heart he still has +- 15 seconds of fight in him.
That's why I practice to shoot 'em right between the eyes. LIGHTS OUT! One shot stop! .40 or 9mm.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts