Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I took my XD9 out of its holster. Its been two weeks since I shot it, and I cleaned it and applied a coat of oil before I put it away. I think I even wiped it down last week after handling it.

You aren't going to believe what happened next. I was looking it over and guess what I saw........NO RUST..... yes I have fallen prey to the "No Rust" issue. I am going to email Springfield, no wait.... I am going to call them, better yet....I am going to get in my truck and drive there. This must be a quality control issue. How dare they make (I know they only import it) a gun that won't rust if you take care of it. I bought this gun so it would rust, so I could get a free Armory Kote then complain about the new finish. Damn it!!! I am pissed, I cant believe there is NO RUST. After all its not like I really did anything special for it not to rust. Just cleaned it, light oil and a wipe down. Thats it.... the next time someone complains about rust.... I am going to go kick them in the P.P. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
OK... I am no longer bored LOL

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
???Three beers and 4 shots of Jack???????

or

????twelve beers????

:lol:

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Hey guy, I've got rust and I clean / oil my gun at a very miniumum of 7 day periods. I clean and lube this gun religiously to no avail. You and only you are the one clicking and reading the posts that have "rust" in the title so don't complain about it. I felt the same way when I first got my XD, "I'll keep it so clean it will be sterile, and apply oil very very regularly and I won't have problems. These people with rust just don't know how to take care of a gun". The problem exists, just not with your firearm.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
chupacabrachus said:
Hey guy, I've got rust and I clean / oil my gun at a very miniumum of 7 day periods. I clean and lube this gun religiously to no avail. You and only you are the one clicking and reading the posts that have "rust" in the title so don't complain about it. I felt the same way when I first got my XD, "I'll keep it so clean it will be sterile, and apply oil very very regularly and I won't have problems. These people with rust just don't know how to take care of a gun". The problem exists, just not with your firearm.
You know, ouch.

I think I read where you were going to start using Armadillo. I hope it works for you.
I don't know what you have read before, but I posted how I have acid sweat and carried the other day "mexican" style during a 90 degree day while working on a roof down in the "hood". The xd was totally drenched in my scid, er I mean sweat. Inside and out. I had to shake the sweat off of it, but I did not wipe it. That was two weeks ago. It has not been cleaned or wiped off since then. I just checked it last night, not a finger print let alone any sign of rust on it.

Is it the gun, maybe.

I believe it is the 5 coat's or more of armadillo on it. The xd does not even have finger prints on it. before i used armadillo, the thing always had finger prints.

What I am trying to say is, try the Armadillo dude. Really. It works. I heat mine in the microwave first, just to make it softer. Rub it on, let it dry, then my 6 y.o daughter and I watch tv and polish it.

:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chupacabrachus said:
Chup, I was only having a lil fun...nothing was meant on the serious side. I was bored, just wanted to post a silly,funny,sarcastic post. It was not a venting :roll: Just goofing off!! That said.... I wont come over and kick ya in the "PP" :lol: :lol: But next time?? LOL j/k

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I'm just pissed that my XD is rusting. Even though it's on a very very small spot. I bought some armadillo crap about a month ago but hadn't used it until after my last range trip. Nothing new to report really. Slight barrel rust still exists, maybe another coat of armadillo crap will help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am convinced that it is an issue of quality control. I like many others on this site have never had a hint of rust, however many have. It seems most get a good finish but a few do not. I do however use Blue Wonder Armadillo after every cleaning. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anyone use CLP, let it soak in to penetrate the metal, then wipe down again to leave a dry film???

Lex

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Lex said:
Anyone use CLP, let it soak in to penetrate the metal, then wipe down again to leave a dry film???

Lex
I do. Thats the way I've taken care of my weapons since the military without rust problems. I will say that the finish seems to be wearing way faster than any pistol I've ever had in the past though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
bigun said:
Lex said:

Lex
I do. Thats the way I've taken care of my weapons since the military without rust problems. I will say that the finish seems to be wearing way faster than any pistol I've ever had in the past though.
I've done this as well. I'd wipe it down with a heavy coat of CLP and let it sit for a few days. Then wipe it off leaving only a minimal film.

Didn't seem to matter what I used, BreakFree, Eezox, whatever -- if I took the gun out, shot it, and left it in a humid environment for a couple hours, I'd have at least a light coat of rust. If I took it directly to an airconditioned environment after using it, no rust.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Wife and I shot a match today IN THE RAIN. I oiled up both guns with TW25 and on we went. That was at 10:00 and we finally got done shooting at 2:00, it rained the whole time. We took the guns off and I oiled mine down again with a thin coat, wife shoved hers in her range bag without oiling. By the time we had lunch and then went and picked my son up and got home, It was 6:00 PM. I pulled both guns out of the damp range bags and NO RUST. I wiped them down and let the range bags dry out, I know the finish is weak but a little extra care goes a long way I think. Still plan on recoating them but thought I would share our experience. I really like the TW25.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've owned one for over a year now and have had absolutely no problem with rust. My finish is showing some wear from my holster, but not even a dot of rust. I think it must be a quality control problem. There have even been a few times where I didn't get it oiled for quite some time after shooting and still no rust....in fact my brother has owned one for around 2 years, and he hardly ever oils his down, (even though I tell him he should) and his doesn't have any rust either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts