Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a friends Kimber and got hand oils on the stainless steel barrel hood. Now there is a surface rust spot that won't go away - it even came back a little after I cleaned and oiled the gun.

What do I do? Help!

He's a good friend so I don't want to give the gun back in bad shape (he even said he was sure I'd take care of it... I feel like an a$$). I will replace the barrel if that's what it takes, but I don't know where to get a new barrel.

Any ideas?

joe

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Take it to a smith to see if a professional cleaning, possible ultrasonic or otherwise might be able to correct the mistake.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Take it to a smith to see if a professional cleaning, possible ultrasonic or otherwise might be able to correct the mistake.
i would seriously advise against taking it in to have it worked on without his knowlege.
take it to a smith, ask him what he can do about it, and how much it will cost.

take the gun to your friend, give him the name of the smith and the quote on the price you got, and offer to reimburse him if/when he has the work done.

cheers

·
Registered
4,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where do I get it??

Thanks for all the replies, guys. This mistake has been killing me... I hope I can fix it.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Where do I get it??

Thanks for all the replies, guys. This mistake has been killing me... I hope I can fix it.
Wal-Mart ?

Any hardware store?

Lowes?

Home Depot?

just about any store of size.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I have never seen hand oils put a rust spot on a SS gun.

Certainly the advice of NOT getting it worked on without telling the owner is correct. Just take it back, point it out and everything will be fine. He'll fix it, have it fixed, tell you he doesn't care, whatever.

I got my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag in SS and I am very glad I did.

·
Registered
536 Posts
but only on a Kimber. I looked at one at Gander Mountain and it was fingered all to he** and back but I've pawed my SA's and wiped them down w/o a mark!
Just one of my reasons not to go Kimber.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Certainly the advice of NOT getting it worked on without telling the owner is correct. Just take it back to your friend, point out and everything will be fine. He'll fix it, have it fixed, tell you he doesn't care, whatever.

I got my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag in SS and I am very glad I did.
Very good advice about not getting work done without talking about it with the owner.

I too have never seen any part of a stainless steel gun rust from skin oil...not saying it can't happen, but to happen as quickly as you describe seems more than weird to me. I have two stainless handguns and a rifle with a stainless barrel...never had any rust on any of 'em and I touch them all the time. When I clean them all I ever do to the non-moving exterior surfaces is wipe them down with a soft dry rag. The rifle barrel - I don't think I've ever put anything on it at all to "protect" it.

Maybe the owner did something to the barrel. Treated it with something that interacted with the metal? (Stainless is an alloy, lots of possibities exist). Maybe there's a manufacturing defect. Whatever, it doesn't sound possible (IMO) that any rust would be your fault.

Rusting stainless from just touching it? Do you sweat some kind of super acid or alkali? Physiology would say that if you do you would not be alive.:shock:

I realize that Kimber's warranty isn't for life like Springfield, (unless they've changed), but a manufacturing defect - I can't imagine that they would not stand behind something like that even if out of warranty. . Something is wrong with this whole picture. It just doesn't seem possible that you could be responsible for causing rust just by touching the barrel hood. (In fact many of us, including myself, have polished the bluing off the NON STAINLESS barrel hoods of our XDs and I haven't heard of anyone getting rust on them just from touching them).

You sound like a standup guy. You say he's your friend, so he's gonna know you didn't do anything with bad intent. No upside in not being straight up with your friend. Waiting and asking strangers for advice isn't the solution here IMO.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kimber barrels are not stainless steel. Even my Kimber Stainless TLE II does not have a stainless barrel.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Kimber barrels are not stainless steel. Even my Kimber Stainless TLE II does not have a stainless barrel.
Well, I guess that would explain a lot............it it isn't stainless but it looks like stainless, than there must be some kind of plating on the barrel. If it isn't even, and the barrel hood rusted, then that sure sounds like a warranty issue to me. If it's just polished steel with no plating, no bluing, no parkerizing, nothing at all....hard to imagine because that would tend to be prone to rust - but should clean up easily. (I'd still make sure your friend gets the info

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess I must be a deviant as I carry my Custom II as a duty gun. It is the blued model and its finish looks like hell and I like it that way.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great help guys... Thanks, D., for your take. I've got the stuff in hand to take care of it (fingers crossed) and of course I'll let my buddy know what's gone on. I'm sure he'll be gracious about it, I just feel like an absolute hoser (I am the one who got him into guns and therefore know "everything" about taking good care of them... Yes, I know, I don't know everything but it's still the relationship we have). Talk to you all later with an update.

joe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts