Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love shooting my M1A

but planning to also get the SCAR 17, I will wait a while though because right now the prices are nuts! :???:

Anyone else?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I shot the SCAR 16 but didn't care for it. The main no go for me was the reciprocating charging handle.

Have you considered the FAL or FN FAR?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your thoughts on this subject Zombie Hunter. I've long considered the FN FAR (great gun btw!) but with the coming of the SCARs I've been struggling with which I would acquire in .308 Win.

I do have a SCAR 16S and love shooting it. For me, I have gotten very used to the reciprocating handle and use it to tell me the current state of the rifle. I even hope that in the future someone will have a setup to have charging handles on both sides. Based on reports I've been reading on the SCAR 17 and my owning a 16s and having been able to shoot the 16s a lot, the SCAR 17 is a very desirable firearm for my taste.

Here's just one of the many reviews I've seen, this one is a very good one:

I should state that I have no plans to get rid of my M1A...the SCAR 17 is going to go alongside my M1A along with my other .308 Win. rifles.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I do have a SCAR 16S and love shooting it. For me, I have gotten very used to the reciprocating handle and use it to tell me the current state of the rifle. I even hope that in the future someone will have a setup to have charging handles on both sides. Based on reports I've been reading on the SCAR 17 and my owning a 16s and having been able to shoot the 16s a lot, the SCAR 17 is a very desirable firearm for my taste.
That's good to hear the charging handle grows on you. I loved the SCAR's stock iron sights and I felt the SCAR made it easier to put rounds on target quicker than my regular AR when I fired them back to back so I will say it had that going for it, not to mention that the thing looks drop dead sexy.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good to hear the charging handle grows on you. I loved the SCAR's stock iron sights and I felt the SCAR made it easier to put rounds on target quicker than my regular AR when I fired them back to back so I will say it had that going for it, not to mention that the thing looks drop dead sexy.
The charging handle was one thing I thought would take me time but one full range day had me used to it.

Thanks for your 2 cents in this Zombie Hunter, its much appreciated. I find myself in a wait state at this time - those prices are just insane and I know it will go down after the popularity of this weapon drops off.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
BLASPHEMY!!!!

J/K, I want one too and think they will look dead sexy together. My only issues with the SCAR is the lack of parts and mags...oh yeah and the price tag. My M14 ran me about $2400(w/vltor stock, I also have a GI fiberglass and it sees time in both), but I built it so it wasn't all at once.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BLASPHEMY!!!!

J/K, I want one too and think they will look dead sexy together. My only issues with the SCAR is the lack of parts and mags...oh yeah and the price tag. My M14 ran me about $2400(w/vltor stock, I also have a GI fiberglass and it sees time in both), but I built it so it wasn't all at once.
Jedi XD - I totally agree with all the points you mentioned. I also have the same concerns, but its just from the crazy amount of demand right now. As mags and parts catch up the price will level off and drop.

M1A will always have a warm place for me and I'll keep it for sure. The action is proven and its dead reliable. If I can only have one rifle I would not hesitate to grab it.

The SCAR 17 is just a very intriguing rifle and having already a 16S just makes me want the 17 more to complete it for me. Both alongside the M1A and the 16S.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I know man, it's cool. I like them and want the SCAR17, I don't know if I want the 16 though I can imagine having one makes you want the other :D.

Like my M14 is a scout, yet one that's just a bare bones M14, and one with glass.

Like my 14.5" AR makes me want a 10" or 12" SBR and a MK12.

:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
pretty cool. but i wonder why he didn't use a QD mount and just whip off the acog and show us some iron sight groups with it. when they can post iron sight groups that beat my M14 groups at 600yds. for a gas gun, i might look into buying one. the eye relief is there and he could have moved acog further forward to show us the rear flip ups too. also, i will wait to see how they hold up in the long run after many thousands of rounds. there is no substitute for my M14's though. Ever ! the price is really not my issue, i now have 4300.00 in my all Winchester Sage EBR, glass and all.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The day has come...a new kid in the .308Win class of rifles I have.
FN SCAR 17S, fresh out of the box:

I will report back the shooting results, right now I am in the middle of settings things up.

I will say first of all is - the SCAR 17S is very light and the balance is very good. More to come...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Completed:

Took to the range today.
Conditions - rainy, humidity 100%, 44 degrees Fahrenheit
McMiller shooting range Eagle, WI

Oldest brother shooting the 17S first time:

He is freaking out how light the .308Win recoil is! heh heh

100 yards, plain target, run of the mill Winchester white box 147 grain FMJ

My worst....Grrrrrrrr...I'll get better I swear.

My best:

It was raining a lot and not the most ideal time to zero in a scope. I'm pretty glad how well I shot this new to me rifle.
:D

I did not have any time to get 'better' ammo. Reports are that gun shoots Federal 168gr FMJ BT best. Next time!

Wow its an eye opener how light weight-wise and recoil-wise this .308Win firearm is.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to upload the video from my GoPro to youtube, in the meantime, here's not so clear video from my cheapy point and shoot to give an idea about its recoil. It feels not much more than shooting my 5.56mm rifles.

Older brother shooting it, click on the image:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brother shooting the SCAR 17S for the first time...

Not too eventful, just showing the felt recoil from a 7.9 pound rifle, I can attest its much lower felt recoil than my standard M1A.
After shooting he picks up the rifle to see how light it is, even with the Larue Tactical LT-111 mount and Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope it is lighter than my M1A with no scope/mount.

Still love my M1A but need to state this to those considering options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts