Springfield XD Forum banner

I have an itch to get a full size 9mm

8K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  100968 
#1 ·
Although it's nothing I want to get ASAP I have become interested in a full size 9mm for a range gun. I grew up with my dad and a 357 mag 4 inch model 19 loaded with 38 special reloads so that's a great gun without a doubt, I have a 1940s 1911 with bomar sights that shoots well, my daily carry is a Xd 40 subcompact, and I have a single action ruger super Blackhawk in 44 magnum 7.5 inch barrel to name a few. I find a purpose in single action 1911s for range use, as well as single action revolvers and double action revolvers they all provide a different feel when used. I enjoy my striker fired gun for carry (but that's just me).

So I have been told by many to avoid the 9mm (such a lowsy round). Fast forward and while shooting friends 9mms I find it quite enjoyable. I do not notice a large difference in 9 mm and 40 handguns but I have practiced techniques to control recoil of any handgun.

What 9mm pistols should be recommended to me? Thoughts? They seem great for range time. Lots and lots of low cost ammo AND not hard at all I'm told to reload hundreds at a time. A full size gun controls recoil well.

I have loved the browning high powers for years but prices are always high. I'm possibly interested in a beretta 92 or other double action 9mm.

Anyone else recently got into the 9mm as well?

See less See more
#2 ·
Get the Hi Power; you won't regret it. You can get used ones fairly reasonably; and the Charles Daly or Argentine surplus are solid guns, too.

Otherwise...As far as DA pistols go, a Sig 226 or Beretta 92FS would do nicely.

#6 ·
Get the Hi Power; you won't regret it. You can get used ones fairly reasonably; and the Charles Daly or Argentine surplus are solid guns, too.

Otherwise...As far as DA pistols go, a Sig 226 or Beretta 92FS would do nicely.
Thanks Cuda. I have also had somewhat of a rule to not get the same gun in two different calibers like I have read on a post of yours. The 9mm fits a nice nitch after I have run over 2000 rounds of 40, several 45 and 44 magnum I still finds the 9mm has a place at the range

#4 ·
Sig P226 or CZ75 or variant. You cannot go wrong with either although I slightly prefer the Sig. You can get a CZ starting at 500 to 3000 for custom target guns or a used 226 in the 600 range up to several thousand for an X5.

I've seen the MK25 version of the 226 for around 900 bucks lately, if that doesn't bust the budget it's an awesome gun (standard issue for SEAL's). If I'm buying 1 9mm that's it.

#7 ·
browning hi power, I have one, Belgian made , FN. super accurate, sits similiar like a 1911 in my hand. reliable 100%.

beretta 92fs or the m9. always wanted one. will last 3 last times.
(really I want the 96 model lol .40!!!!!)

good luck

just read cudas post, lol, we are on same exact page here

#13 ·
I have 4 or 5 full size 9MMs.

The Browning (BDM, not HiPower) is not very accurate and doesn't feed 147 grain bullets reliably. And gets downright uncomfortable to shoot at about 1 box of ammo. The trigger tries to eat the end of my finger.

The Glock is reliable, but not very accurate. It feels like a 2X2 in my hand due to the finger grooves not being spaced to let my fingers sit down in the grooves.

The XDM 5.25 is reliable, but not very accurate. I have a 3.8 XDM in 9MM that shoots better groups than the 5.25" gun, not just for me, but for everyone I've let shoot them. It fits my hand pretty good, too.

The M&P FS. Reliability was never its strong point. Lots of failure to fire issues on multiple occasions. Part replaced with aftermarket parts, then replaced again with factory parts. It was pretty accurate. The most accurate full size 9MM I'd owned up to that point.

The CZ P09. Great reliability so far. Shoots/feeds every 9MM bullet weight. Also the most accurate of the bunch. The Glock, the big XDM and the M&Ps are in the safe now. I have the best of them. Reliable with everything I put in the magazine, fits my hand, shoots really nice groups. My second trip to the range my first shot made a hole, my second shot just barely tore the hole enough to see it was bigger (had to walk to the target to make sure) and the third bullet made the hole just a bit bigger (I could see that from the firing line). After that, I fell apart trying to keep that tiny group going.

I won't buy another Browning, Glock, XDM or M&P but I will buy another P09 or P07.

#15 ·
My personal favorite fullsize 9mm is the 92-series Berettas. I've owned quite a few over the years, and have finally landed my dream 92: Wilson Combat 92G Brigadier Tactical. If I were looking for something that isn't so expensive but has most of the features, I'd go with the 92A1 or M9A1.

I like the checkering on the M9A1 and the sand-resistant PVD magazines, but the 92A1 has a dovetailed front sight that can be easily replaced and comes with 17rd magazines. Choose appropriately.

The 92S which was mentioned earlier is a smokin' deal, but be aware of the location of the magazine catch before making your decision. It's not a bad design, but it is different than what we're used to in the US market and you'll have to learn a slightly new manual of arms to use it effectively.

On the non-Beretta front, I have become a fan of the Glock pistols, so the G17 or G34 would be a good choice if you want a poly-framed, striker-fired pistol. My tip of the hat would go to the G34 for the additional sight radius and slightly improved trigger from the factory. Keep in mind that the G34 just has a slightly different connector as compared to the G17, so making them equal would be as simple as dropping in a $25 part in a couple of minutes.

Also look into the Walther PPQ 9mm's. They have a "long slide" version with a 5" barrel, and a great trigger out of the box. Some people report that recoil out of the PPQ is a bit snappier than they would expect. Take that with a grain of salt.

Finally, there's the CZ line of pistols. I've become smitten with my CZ clone Jericho 941 (original), and so I'm looking to add a CZ or one of their clones to my collection as a range gun. Will probably go with an SP-01 if I can find one, when it's time for me to buy (aka, after recovering from the purchase of the WC 92G, LOL!)

The lack of inclusion on this list is not indicative of anything other than my unwillingness to type any more in this single post. :D I was just putting down a few pistols that are at the top of my, admittedly, very long list of "wants".

#21 ·
A G19 is a compact and they don't make a G19SF....
Glock only makes Short Frames for G21, G20, G30, and G29.
Although a Gen 4 without a backstrap equates to a Short Frame. but it isn't technically a SF Glock.

OP, My suggestions for a full sized 9mm range gun;

Gen 2 G17 for a striker pistol, no finger grooves.

A Sig P226 preferably West German for DA/SA.

Or an RIA TActical 9mm 1911,

#22 ·
Nothing wrong with a full size 1911 in 9mm. :)

or a mid size...

or a compact...

Reactions: UGADawgs
#23 ·
So many good options. It really just depends on what you shoot the best and how much you want to spend.

Based on your last statement, there are some good, cheap options for HI Powers and Berettas. Try cdisales on gun broker for reasonably priced Hi Powers. If you don't mind a Euro-style mag release, PSA has some nice deals on a 92s.

#25 ·
You did not state the purpose for the 9mm, I'll assume range toy. But before you go out and buy a new platform do you have a spare XD for your carry? Remember the saying that one is none, two is one. Should your carry gun fail, having a duplicate while the primary is in for repair means no training.

A full size 9mm, nothing wrong with an XD in full size, same manual of arms as the one you carry, just different sight radius and muzzle flip.
A full size 1911 in 9mm is fun to shoot and since you already have a 1911 in .45 it will be a familiar firearm.

The Beretta 92 has been mentioned, there are two downsides. I don't like the controls being on the slide since you can inadvertently enable the safety during a malfunction drill and that would not be a nice thing to occur in a real life situation. The second is that the "regular" 92 means you can't change the front sight. It is just about the easiest 9mm there is to rack, so if you are sharing the gun with someone who has trouble racking a pistol this pistol is great, provided their hand is big enough for the grip.

You mention that you like the idea of DA/SA. If you go the CZ route, you're looking at the CZ 75BD or possibly the SP-01 Tactical. Those two models are decocker models. While the 75B is technically a DA/SA gun, to get it to double action you need to put your thumb in front of the hammer, pull the trigger AND RELEASE the trigger and lower the hammer manually. I treat them as Single Action pistols. The stock sights on the 75B leave a lot to be desired, but unlike the Beretta, you can replace both front and rear.

#31 ·
Thanks I am still thinking it over. I have lots of time since it's nothing that I need in a hurry. I pay bills first. BUT as you mentioned I really should think about getting another carry gun. I planned to this summer in case my carry gun got stolen from my vehicle while it was locked in my vehicle at work OR in case it was not in working order.

I wanted to get a compact/ full size 9mm as a range toy and more yes. I had a plan of purchasing something smaller than my xd40sc for carry during warm months like a subcompact 380 or 9mm. We will see what I get but for right now I'm doing much better on bills. This will easily allow an additional firearm purchase for carry in time. Thanks for the reply as these are great points

#28 ·
Ruger p95. One of my absolute favorite pistols to shoot and one of my most accurate. Smooth as butter. A friend fondled mine the other day and absolutely fell in love with it. A friend has a 97 and I love it just as much. It's so smooth.

I also like the ruger sr9. Love that gun as well. M&P is Good with trigger job and xd obviously. That's what I have experience with.

I would go p95

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.