Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well sort of. I'd just like to introduce myself. Getting a Service XD-9 next week after Santa stops by and delivers my Xmas bonus. :lol:

Here's the thing. I haven't done a significant amount of pistol shooting in my day (mostly with .22) but I grew up shooting rifles & shotguns. I am a leftie through and through...except for a few activities. One of those being that I shoot as a righty with shotgun/rifle, and not to mention I am right eye dominant. Everything usually feels better in my left hand but I can still do a lot with my right. Basically what I am saying is...I am going to teach myself to shoot right handed. Being that it is almost forein to me since I haven't trained my brain yet, do any of you think this will be a problem? I also plan on being efficient with both hands (just in case). :wink:

BTW...I am in Orlando, FL. If there are any locals here give me a holler, I'd like to know what your preference is on the ranges in town.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old School said:
Having an ambi mag release, the XD should do you well. Good luck with it! Welcome to the forum!!
Thanks OS!
Another reason I decided on the XD.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
So you're saying you're right hand and right eye dominant with long guns, but you're dominant left hand and left eye with handguns?

If that's true, you're even more messed up than I am. (No offense intended: I'm fairly ambidextrious and I believe that that word means little more than "I can't tell left from right.")

I think you'll find your ambidexterity to be a serious plus. I've practiced and I can switch back and forth, doing almost just as well left as right. You'll at the very least be the envy of right only people. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mr0w1 said:
So you're saying you're right hand and right eye dominant with long guns, but you're dominant left hand and left eye with handguns?
lol...no. I am still right eye dominant regardless of whats in my hand, I am just saying that it feels more natural in my left hand than right.

mr0w1 said:
If that's true, you're even more messed up than I am. (No offense intended: I'm fairly ambidextrious and I believe that that word means little more than "I can't tell left from right.")
Yeah I know. I do everything left handed except golf, shoot pool, and fire rifles/shotguns.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
What's the dilemna again?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Oh, ok. That's what I gathered from the post but then again I could've been lost. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had my XD9 Service for just a little over a month now, and absolutely love it, but I certainly wish I could hit the range more often. Speaking of which, I also live in the Orlando area and can give you a little info about some of the facilities I've been to.

My buddy is a member of the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club, and I have been lucky enough to shoot there as his guest a few times. They actually have a complete outdoor range complex with several different distances for rifle practice and an area for plinking. There is also a setup for cowboy pistol competition, and a shotgun skeet area (though I have never seen it in use). It is really set away from every thing over in the Moss Park area. It's only neighbor is the Orange County Sheriff's range which is actually pretty cool to see and hear (last time I was there some lucky cop was firing a fully automatic something or other, we could only hear the rapid fire).

The only reason I haven't joined is the money factor. It is a bit outside my fiscal realm right now, but realistically if one is a regular shooter, it would be worth the money. Total new member cost is $274, but annual dues thereafter are $134. If you decide to make shooting a permanent and consistent hobby, this might be the way for you to go, especially if you want to do some work with rifles and shotguns.

http://www.cfrpc.com/

As far as indoor ranges go, I have been to East Orange Shooting Sports a few times and they seem to have a decent setup. They are fairly close to where I live and at only $8 a session, they fit my current budget.

http://www.eastorangess.com/

I hope this is some help to you, I haven't posted very often because there is usually someone much more knowledgable than me. This board is an absolute wealth of information about all things XD and shooting related!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks WC!! I am going to purchase my gun tonight and wondering if you have any suggestions on shops? Where did you pick up your XD at?

I've called most places:
Reigs: $499(Xtra Mags & Case)
Universal Weapons: $475(Xtra Mags Only)
East Orange: $519 (Promo Pack)
Oak Ridge ($499 plus Xtra Mag + Case)

I've seen different posts on here form folks saying they got their XD for low $400s. What do you all think of these prices?

BTW Walking Carpet. I live in the Conway area, probabaly not too far from you.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Looks like a lot of new forum members on
this thread. Welcome to you all.

Buy low, sell high.

Ed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ed! Good to see you. :lol:

Well...I am now the proud new owner of an XD-9. Bought her tonight, with the promo pack. Just have to wait the 3 days for the background check, so Thursday cannot come soon enough. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also....Is there any advice for a new handgun owner? Any suugestions on breaking the gun in, etc?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry I did not reply faster, Gem, I haven't been on the boards in a couple of days due to my work schedule :x .

To answer your question (though a little belated), I picked mine up at Shooters Den off of Aloma.

Google Local info on Shooters Den

I know that it's too late for your XD purchase (congrats by the way!), but if you choose to buy something else in the future I would recommend them. I feel like I got a good deal on mine there.

There is a lot of good info on these boards for new shooters and, well, lots of other topics. Try the General Non-HS2K SA-XD Talk Forum for several topics as well as the search function for specific questions.

Once again, congrats and sorry it took so long to reply!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts