Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has not happened before in Lancaster since I started living here, I guess being close to Vegas has it's moments.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
That's snowed in?.....
:rolleyes:
That's what I was thinking.

That's a typical light snow here in South Dakota. But then again, you're not snowed in until the car literally will not move through the snow anymore.

My family was once snowed in for 3 days (no power, so no heat) and the only way my family got any help was the neighbors had a snowmobile and let us use their Coleman gas stove to heat one room where we camped out until my dad dug out the 3/4 mile road that led to our driveway with our front-end loader. Some of the drifts were over 10 feet deep.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I hear ya Belly, this happened here in Texas last week.

Now it's 70something and I'm in shorts.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Yeah, that's not snowed in. That's what it did here last night and I'm at work. Your car windows aren't even covered! You want snowed in, head north. I was in the 2 blizzards in 2 weeks 2 years ago in Colorado. Now that was AWESOME!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
global warming is here!!Thats probably fun for you guys in ca but for us who have it all winter long well it does get old after xmas gotta go and start shoveling my drive way we had 9in last night!!!:-x:-x

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sorry you go your dodge / chrysler products stuck in all that snow! :wink:

Cool!

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Got hit here in Vegas on Monday, then again yesterday. I'm originally from Erie, PA, so I know what real snow is. I can remember a time where snow drifted over the roof of our house, and have a memory of my father and brother shoveling the roof so it would not collapse.

There were times yesterday that were nearly as bad as some of the blizzards I saw in Erie. There were complete white-out conditions and roads were very slick. What makes it worse, Las Vegas has no equipment to deal with this type of weather. We don't have plows, salt trucks, or salt for that matter. The airport does not have snow removal equipment for the runways, nor does it have de-icing equipment for the planes. For these reasons, something that seems like a light snow in places that get a lot of it is a serious situation in a place that gets measurable snow very rarely.

Our snow this week was very wet and heavy, and has cause a myriad of issues from collapsed car ports to downed power lines to broken trees, not to mention more than a few car accidents.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Got hit here in Vegas on Monday, then again yesterday. I'm originally from Erie, PA, so I know what real snow is. I can remember a time where snow drifted over the roof of our house, and have a memory of my father and brother shoveling the roof so it would not collapse.

There were times yesterday that were nearly as bad as some of the blizzards I saw in Erie. There were complete white-out conditions and roads were very slick. What makes it worse, Las Vegas has no equipment to deal with this type of weather. We don't have plows, salt trucks, or salt for that matter. The airport does not have snow removal equipment for the runways, nor does it have de-icing equipment for the planes. For these reasons, something that seems like a light snow in places that get a lot of it is a serious situation in a place that gets measurable snow very rarely.

Our snow this week was very wet and heavy, and has cause a myriad of issues from collapsed car ports to downed power lines to broken trees, not to mention more than a few car accidents.
I can see where you're coming from. And I bet trees, people and downed power lines have caused issues. Seriously, WTF kind of building standards do you guys have out there if a carport collapsed because of 3.6 (News report stat) of snow.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I can see where you're coming from. And I bet trees, people and downed power lines have caused issues. Seriously, WTF kind of building standards do you guys have out there if a carport collapsed because of 3.6 (News report stat) of snow.
They actually collapsed because trees fell on them. I guess the trees became saturated with water, then the added weight of snow caused the trees to fall. They probably weren't up to standards anyways, there's a lot of aging construction around town.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
They actually collapsed because trees fell on them. I guess the trees became saturated with water, then the added weight of snow caused the trees to fall. They probably weren't up to standards anyways, there's a lot of aging construction around town.
Ok. that makes sense. Here in SLC if we get an early storm and the leaves haven't fallen of the trees yet it makes a big mess just because of the weight they gather.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Also forgot to mention that the 3-4" that was reported was probably measured at the airport. There were many areas around town that got about a foot.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
NICE. Im right next to the beach along the Santa Monica Bay and it has been getting down to the mid to high 30's at night lately....

So much for that Global Warming crap that Gore kept preaching about. It hasn't been this cold in at least a decade.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
those are fun roads not bad ones!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts