Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got shot for the first time in my life. Luckily it bounced off me.

The club I shoot at uses big (55ga?) plastic barrels a lot to block views of targets from certain positions and create cover for the target. There was a particular stage that everyone kept hitting the very right edge of a barrel while trying to get an A shot on the target that was behind it.

One guy was shooting and hit that right edge of the barrel. About half a second after his shot fired, I got hit by something. It felt like getting shot with a paintball gun at about 10 feet, or someone punching me really hard with their knuckle in my shoulder. It knocked me off balance and I had to take a step back to catch myself while trying to figure out what just happened and why my shoulder hurt so bad all of the sudden. Then I saw the bullet drop to the ground at my feet.

I guess the bullet went into the barrel, spun around inside it, exited coming back at us and smacked me right in the shoulder. I'm not sure if it was going fast enough to penetrate me (sure felt like it was though), but I think I might be lucky that it was probably tumbling through the air and the side of the bullet hit me. I had a nice little bruise on my shoulder for a few days, I'm mad at myself for forgetting to take a picture of it.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Everyone at the match was pretty surprised when I told them what just happened. They said they've seen bullets come back out of those barrels before but never had one hit anyone

·
Registered
565 Posts
That is the first time I have heard of that happening with a plastic barrel. I seen others and have been hit myself by ricochets from the steel/metal poppers; but, never from the plastic barrels. We also use the 55-gallon barrels in our local club (USPSA) practices and matches.

Was the person shooting at the time using a really low power factor ammo that would not allow it to just penetrate straight through the barrel?

I would think that the minimum Power Factor allowed for a 9mm, 40S&W, or .45ACP round for these type of matches would just penetrate straight through the barrel (especially the plastic ones) without any issues.

You might want to have that shooter crono his ammo to see how "soft" it may be set to...

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Wow that's pretty nuts. Glad you only ended up with a bruise and not a wound. Maybe the club should find something to put in the barrels to prevent that from happening again.
ChaoP said:
I'm not sure if it was going fast enough to penetrate me (sure felt like it was though)
that's what she said. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wow that's pretty nuts. Glad you only ended up with a bruise and not a wound. Maybe the club should find something to put in the barrels to prevent that from happening again.

that's what she said. :mrgreen:
hilarious!

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
And a good one at that! By the way, I have been shot and it was nothing like your experience, OP.

I'm another one that hasn't had that big of a bite either.
I've been hit afew times with spatter. Once with a 22 ricochet that my vest was cut.
Saw a buddy at the range get a piece of spatter off his glasses to pull out a little piece with a bit of blood.

Never heard of a case like yours.
Stay safe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I get hit all the time from splatter from steel. If they set up the steel on the left or right side of the course facing across the stage, then I'll get hit 2-3 times from shrapnel each stage. This is the first time getting shot by an entire bullet though.

I'm not sure what he was shooting, I know he's a regular shooter and reloads his own ammo, so I'm guessing he loaded it pretty soft.

Probably is a good idea for people to stop shooting barrels. There usually isn't much hitting of the barrels, but this particular course had about a 30-40 foot shot where the majority of the target was hidden behind the barrel. You could see about half of the A zone from the starting position. If you took a few steps to the right you could get a clear shot, but for the sake of time everyone was trying to take the shots on this target from starting position. It caused quite a few shots to barely hit that edge of the barrel

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I used to shooting Pin matches at an indoor range and I was talking to my brother when a .45 came off a pin, then the wall and hit me in the arm. Left a mark but did not penetrate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts