Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got pulled over for having an expired tag (Febuary LOL). I rolled down the windows, shut off my truck, and held my keys out of teh window. As he aproached, I told him "for the safety of all those concerned here, I have a concealed weapon on my person." He started to draw, but thought twice. Asked me where it was and then tried opening my door. I apolgized and told him it was locked. then had to carefully point to the unock botton as he fished around for it. He then asked where the gun specifically was. It was on my right hip under the seat belt so he had me carefuly un-buckle. He asked me to step out of the truck and face it while using both hands to pull my shirt up a little from the top. As he was reaching for it, he says, "Is the gun..." And I said, "It is condition one!" he chuckled and thanked me, and had me sit back in my truck as he cleared it and went back to his car. After that, he took my drivers liscence and permit and did whatever they do. He ended up bringing it back to the car, and told me to put it on the seat. then he gave me the mag and told me to put it in a cup holder. Then as he was searching for the round I had chambered, he said, "I feel like Barny Fife with your bullet in my pocket." LOL He was shocked that it was a .40 hollow point (why do you need this!?) and complimented me on the XD, saying it was the first he had ever handled and that it felt great. The local PD here is lucky, they get Sigs issued. I am envious! THEN, he warned me about the tag and told me how much the fine was... $130 for the expired tag + the tag renewal fee of $179 + $30 late fee. I got lucky! He let me off and thanked me a couple times for thinking about his safety during the whole stop. I was very impressed with his professionalism and nice demeaner. Plus I can't wait till I can afford to get my tag renewed!

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
My ploy in that situation is have my drivers and CHL license already out and both hands visible. I keep both my licenses in a case in my left hand front pocket so I don't have to fumble with my seatbelt.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dolanp said:
See the CCW always pays you back in the end. :wink:
For $15, i made out great!

I keep my wallet, a simple money clipp/credit card holder, in my front left thigh pocket (cargo pants are all I almost wear).

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ajamesp51 said:
I always let them know as well but have never had an office do all of that.
He looked at me kinda weird and asked me if I was cop when I told him I had a gun on me. Here in Auburn, there aren't many college kids packing I guess (I am 25 and graduated).

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
In fact the last ticket I got was for speeding down in Auburn on Glenn Ave where the crazy bend is in the road to go around the airport. Basterd was an ass hole I was in a group of at least 10 cars I was in the middle and the only one who slowed down I got the ticket. It was my GF graduation day from Pharmacy school we were on the way to the graduation. The cop was an ass to begin with and he kept asking why I had a gun I politely told him its none of his business and his fly was down. Still got the ticket and embarressed the hell out of him.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahah James, was it an Auburn cop or a Lee County cop? They love to sit on that bend. And that road encourages some fast driving!

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Yea but dont give someone their lortabs from a forged prescription and they get real mad. I have made it a habit to pick her up from work if she gets off anytime after dark. I dont know how many times shes been threatened. Although I will say that usually when I am standing there waiting for her to get off I dont know how many times some one has been there and tried to jump the counter or say some thing evil to the staff. All her coworkers know what I do and that I always have a gun at first they thought it was weird until in the parking lot someone was shot and their prescription stolen now they dont mind me there.

And ranger your right everybody speeds on that road.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For $15, i made out great!
That is all you paid for your CCW???? Damn!!! I will have to pay up around $150...freakin thieves i tell ya!

yeah..check this from Denver Police website:

5. When you arrive for your scheduled application appointment, you must bring the application fees. The fees must be presented as follows:

a. A Certified Check or Money Order for $100, payable to the “City and County of Denver.”, and,

b. A Certified Check or Money Order for $52.50, payable to “Colorado Bureau of Investigation.”

Highway Robbery!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah...Colorad just passed its CCW law a year or two ago as far as i know..and if i remember correctly...Denver was all pissed off at the state about it...so they probably just making the fees that high to deter people from getting one....bastards! Well i shouldn't be so quick to judge...cuz Arapaho County Sherrif is also charging the same fees..but probably the reason is the same...deter as many as they can by making the fee's ridiculously large.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got my carry permit here in florida.It cost me $117.00. But i figure it is the best money i have spent. I feel a lot safer now. :D

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
James said, "he kept asking why I had a gun I politely told him its none of his business and his fly was down. Still got the ticket ..."

James, even tho you were polite, were you really surprised you received a ticket when you told him it wasn't his business and his fly was down? Though it may not have been his business, telling him that probably wasn't the best thing to do.

You said he was already acting like an "ass", so why put a dig in and antagonize him? I don't mean this as an insult to you, but when an leo stops someone and they start making comments like that, they generally have talked themselves into a ticket. We call it, "letting your mouth get ahead of your brain." The best thing to do is be polite, cuss him out in your mind and be on your way when he lets you go, you aren't going to win.

I'm not flaming you, just trying to point out something.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've gotten pulled over twice since I got my CCW and got off both times. One time was for speeding and the other was for running a stop sign that's at an acceleration lane that should be a yield sign.

In Virginia it varies by city and county what it costs, but the state law is that it can't be more than $50 or something in that price range. I can't remember if it's fifty or sixty. In Portsmouth I think it was $20. But VA requires you show proof of training when you apply, so you have to complete a handgun safety course of your choosing and show them the certificate. So you're looking at about $50 extra right there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I too was asked many times why i had a gun and a ccw permit. after telling him several times i stopped telling him. he told me that he thought it was a bad law and started to preach. i told him that i thought that the speed limit here way to low and he said i dont make the laws just enforce them and that my opinion really didnt count. with that i said well officer i think that applies to cops to. they have to put up with the laws regaurdless of thier opinion. and that in the ccw permit area his opinion didnt realy count and he needs to deal with it. he got a funny look on his face and them chuckled a bit and said you have a point there. anyway he let me go with no ticket and i think he realized he just enforces the laws not makes them. i know its not wise to sass a cop and i dont but in this case it was worth a speeding ticket to tell him that. got to admit he was a man about it and i respect him all the more for it

·
Registered
875 Posts
So far my CCW has been like a get out of Jail Free card. It has got me warnings 3 times now. The cops seemed like they were happy that I had a permit. All of the cops I have run into told me to just stay in the car.

I tend to just give them my permit and let them figure it out. Anytime you say "I have a gun" they are going to get a little nervous. IF you give them your permit then they can connect all the dots and calm down a little bit.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
damn.... he mad you do a lot.

the last few times i had to give an LEO my CHL he just looked at it... looked at me and said "have a nice day".

never wrote me a warning or anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
But VA requires you show proof of training when you apply
Yeah...Colorado also requires proof of training, so for those that don't have it...it is even more $$ to take the class....which actually is probably a very good thing! Lukily I have a DD214 that shows pistol quals on it which by statute is proof of training. :wink:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts