Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my xdm 3.8c .40 on thursday, and just took it out and shot it today. Here is my report.
First I only shot 50 rounds through it.
The ammo: Remington UMC 165 grain.
The gun worked flawlessly. It fed nicely and I had no problems.
it felt really good in my hand, although my little finger kept falling off the handle with the 11 round magazine.
I have never shot a springfield pistol before so I am unfamilar with the handling charactistics of the weapon and the trigger. However I throughly enjoyed shooting it.
I had decent groups at 21 feet. However I was consistently shooting to the left of the bullseye. I know that it is not a problem with the gun, but the shooter. I am confident with a little more work with the trigger and the handling charactistics, I will be very comfortable hitting center mass at various distances.
Once again I loved the way the gun performed and I am entirely pleased with my purchase.
I hope to take it out later this week, weather permitting, and put more rounds through it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Love mine! Definitely shoot some more rounds! My first time i shot 272 rounds. My second time 200! I love shooting my gun!

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
It is amazing that a lot of us, when we first shoot a XD or a XDM are shooting to the left!:eek: I was shooting to the left with my XDm .45, before I reset my grip and began plugging the center (and just "left" of center).:confused:
What is really amazing is how, with my 1911, I don't have that problem:shock:.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is amazing that a lot of us, when we first shoot a XD or a XDM are shooting to the left!:eek: I was shooting to the left with my XDm .45, before I reset my grip and began plugging the center (and just "left" of center).:confused:
What is really amazing is how, with my 1911, I don't have that problem:shock:.
How did you readjust your grip? Did you move your thumb forward centering the gun more in the forward part of your hand, or did you move you thumb back centering the gun more in the web of your hand?

·
Registered
408 Posts
You sound pretty sensible to me. There are a lot of threads dealing with shooting left, low, or low and to the left...which indicates you are probably a right-hander.

Sounds like you have a great gun. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You sound pretty sensible to me. There are a lot of threads dealing with shooting left, low, or low and to the left...which indicates you are probably a right-hander.

Sounds like you have a great gun. Keep us posted on your progress.
Actually I am left-handed, but shoot right-handed

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
How did you readjust your grip? Did you move your thumb forward centering the gun more in the forward part of your hand, or did you move you thumb back centering the gun more in the web of your hand?

I'm not him, but try moving the gun more towards the palm. Another way to say it is to move the gun thumb farther forward. You may not be able to do that comfortably unless you have larger hands. That will also force you to use less of your trigger finger.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it. As for your pinky falling off go pick up the Pearce mag extension. I did it and feels so much better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hay Russ7777, glad to hear another person got a 40! Yes you can't help buy fall in love with an XD. BTW, mine XD40 shoots a little left also...and yes I'm a righty. I just move my point of aim a smidgen to the right and I'm dead on.

You may want to start reloading your own ammo soon. Since reloading my own 40s, my shot groups have improved. You can fine tune your ammo to your specific gun and not only does it improve your shot groups, your ammo will cost less than buying factory ammo. Just something to consider if you are interested.

Keep up the fun!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Beware Remington UMC. Their quality control standards. I've had 3 detonations with their ammo, 2 in my M1 carbine and 1 in my XD. Will never buy again.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Took my XD(m) .40 3.8 compact out to the range for the first time yesterday and I noticed a slight trending of up and left as well. I attribute mine to recoil anticipation. I have shot full size .40's in the past and found them rather snappy so I was expecting an even harder kick with a compact.

I did notice that as my range session progressed that I started getting closer and closer to the center without changing my point of aim at all. I didn't do anything noticeably different to my grip either so the only thing I can contribute it too is, relaxing, realizing the punch is not near as bad as I had expected and possibly a slight shift forward in upper body (I found myself leaning back just a bit). By the end of my session they were going pretty much exactly where I was aiming.

So for me it was just a comfort thing. Give her another session and try to go a little longer (100-200 rounds if you can) and I'll bet you'll pull those shots right back in to center. Remember. Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts