Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys tell me about it. Its a Norinco and it takes AK mags. Whats the value? Also what kind of replacement stock can I get that will fit it. I hate the stock one.
Pat

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Depending on who imported it, it's an SKS-M or SKS-D. These are factory designed to use AK mags ( not aftermarket bubba jobs ).

They're running around $300 to $400, depending on condition.

SKS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a little more info.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Butler creek, Choate, Ram Line, Tapco, and ATI makes stocks for SKSs that take AK mags...You have an SKS-M, the one with the Monte Carlo style stock is the SKS-D. Same gun, different stocks.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
that is awesome....keep that stock, its awesome...im sure it will grow on you....

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I have the same SKS I bought new preban for $130. I think you will like the stock after some range time. One thing to watch for the mag release has a want to be rivit holding it together. Mine worked it self loose because of the thin "lips" that hold it in place. I replaced it first with a nut and bolt and then a cut down AK trunion rivit. just fyi.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Modificationvt said:
that is awesome....keep that stock, its awesome...im sure it will grow on you....
Actually these are some of the best thumbhole stocks I've ever used.

Ergonomic and with a nice length of pull.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
i have an old ATI folder i bought LOONG time ago as a teenager when i bought the sks, its POS its wobbly as hell.

you can get a original wood, or a fiberglass/bakelite "jungle stock" for i think around $20.

they are kinda short stocks i am not sure how big of a guy you are 'popo

I am 6'4" i have beeing eyeing the choate stock, it has a modular add on butt stock extender you can keep adding at half inch increments

Choate Dragunov SKS Stock - Black ON SALE

thats a sweet gun if it is an orignal import fitted to take AK mags, and its fool proof.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
IMO - that SKS is THE SKS to own! Nice work!

Everyone has already mentioned your options - all good ideas. It really depends what you want to do with your SKS. The SKS isn't a long range rifle - it's more effective in the CQB role I think. So, that may dictate what you want to do with it. However, given that you already have a decent selection of AR's for every conceivable job, you may not need the SKS for much as far as real world application goes. In that case, the sky is the limit.

Enjoy!

joe

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
billbrasky said:
you can get a original wood, or a fiberglass/bakelite "jungle stock" for i think around $20.
If you're talking about the standard SKS stocks that are here by the thousands, they won't work.. The SKS-D and -M are different in shape than a standard SKS, so the cheap SKS stocks won't fit them.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I picked up one last year for my dad, D Paratrooper carbine. He put it in one of the Tapco stocks and it dont look half bad. Get the 20 rd Hungarian mags they are reliable and look right with the weapon.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
that is one sweet gift!

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Don't change the stock!!

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
If you're talking about the standard SKS stocks that are here by the thousands, they won't work.. The SKS-D and -M are different in shape than a standard SKS, so the cheap SKS stocks won't fit them.

Nothing that a little work won't fix...chisels, urethane based glue, dremel... if you want it bad enough, you'll make it work. SKS stocks are very easy to make, not like Mosins. With Mosins, you must be a little more concerned with recoil. I've made 3 piece SKS stocks before, finger jointed and glued without a steel recoil lug. A Boyd's stock my be what you want

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I hate the way it looks and feels in the fore end.
Pat
Then trade it to me. :mrgreen:

I will have to agree. That stock is nice stick with it. You can't buy stocks like the one you got. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
You have a SKS-M with the thumbhole stock. There is another one that is still a SKS-M, but it has a more traditional Monte Carlo stock. The SKS-D looks just like a SKS, but it was MADE to take AK mags. All others are imposters. :twisted:

I've recently did a U-turn on my SKS collecting and have sold off most of them, but I still have more than I need. :-|

Here is my range report from a few years ago about the same one you just got for your birthday http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/16348-easter-bunny-dropped-off-sks-m.html

Shoot the rifle first and then decide if you want to change it. I will admit that it isn't too pleasing to the eye, but you may change your mind after you shoot it. Next to a Albanian SKS that I used to have that thumbhole SKS-M wasn't too far behind in the accuracy department. Happy Birthday Man! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I hate the way it looks and feels in the fore end.
Pat
I have a more traditional Norinco SKS and I also didn't like the way it felt in the forend - too front heavy. So I swapped to the Tapco T6 stock and put an optic on the rifle. Now the balance is almost perfect (I also had the barrel shortened and it made a bit of a difference - I wouldn't recommend that as one of the first things to do).

If you're looking for more of a traditional 100-200 yd. shooter, try the Monte Carlo stock for the SKS (I think ATI makes it). Like the others have said, it may take a little modification, but it'll fit. FWIW- the T6 is supposed to fit the M and D model SKS's out of the box (IIRC).

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts