Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and i think that with all the knowledge mvician knows he should be moderator haha

for real

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
and i think that with all the knowledge mvician knows he should be moderator haha

for real
then he would have to spend his time policing the forum instead of educating people

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it is chambered in 5.56 1/9

i can still shoot .223 correct?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
if it is chambered in 5.56 1/9

i can still shoot .223 correct?
yes. its ok to shoot 223 in a 556 chamber but not the other way around

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm just curious, isn't the 5.56 NATO round the same thing as the .223 Rem? I have an M4 chambered in 5.56 NATO so I'm not worried (based on your info) I just haven't heard that. Then again, I'm not too educated on rounds. I shoot what I'm issued (unless I'm hunting).

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I'm just curious, isn't the 5.56 NATO round the same thing as the .223 Rem? I have an M4 chambered in 5.56 NATO so I'm not worried (based on your info) I just haven't heard that. Then again, I'm not too educated on rounds. I shoot what I'm issued (unless I'm hunting).
Winchester Law Enforcement

The 5.56mm and .223 Rem chambers are nearly identical. The difference is in the "Leade". Leade is defined as the portion of the barrel directly in front of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. It is also more commonly known as the throat. Leade in a .223 Rem chamber is usually .085". In a 5.56mm chamber the leade is typically .162", or almost twice as much as in the 223 Rem chamber.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Winchester Law Enforcement

The 5.56mm and .223 Rem chambers are nearly identical. The difference is in the "Leade". Leade is defined as the portion of the barrel directly in front of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. It is also more commonly known as the throat. Leade in a .223 Rem chamber is usually .085". In a 5.56mm chamber the leade is typically .162", or almost twice as much as in the 223 Rem chamber.
Good Article. So, essentially, they're the same size, but the 5.56 is loaded with more powder. That's what I gathered from the link. In any case, it answered my question. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
From what i researched about this question about a month or so ago.

shooting 5.56 in a .223 chamber in most common brand AR's will be ok, the action is still strong enough to handle the extra pressure. You may have a problem with the bullet of the 5.56 being pushed back ever so slightly by the lands of the rifling in the .223 chamber and this could cause some overpressure problems.

So from all the stuff i read, you can shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber in a pinch if thats all you have and the zombies are still coming. You just might blow up a case in your chamber (very small chance but it still could happen).

I am in no way telling you its a good idea, i'm just saying it can be done.

Just a side note. I called Remington, to check and see if it would be ok to shoot 5.56 out of my R-15 and they said it should be fine. Just dont call them for warrenty if it go KABOOM !:shock:

take it for what its worth

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
My understanding is that you can shoot .223 reliably in a 5.56 chambering, but it may or may not be reliable the other way around.

That's why my uppers are 5.56 spec; I don't want, in a SHTF scenario, to find myself with access to 5.56 ammo but not being sure if it'll function reliably in my rifle.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
true my stag upper i ordered is 5.56 chambered so thats great to hear

1 - 15 of 15 Posts