Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 44 Special | The Firearm Blog

Oh yes!!

The new Ruger Blackhawk Flattop...in 44 Special!

A perfect companion for my 44 mag Marlin levergun. Sometime in January....I will probably be ordering one of these! I love the fit and feel of the "new" XR3 framed Blackhawks and in the very sweet shooting 44 Special - it ought to be one nice sidearm.

I have always wanted a quality 44 Spl single action, but who can afford the Colt SAAs and the quality of the Uberti 45LC I used to own meant I would never buy another. I almost bought a Smith Model 24 but again...the high price kept me from it. It seemed as if a 44Spl wheelie that was of decent quality was a thing of the past.

This will definately make up for my early and stupid sale of my old 357 Blackhawk Flatttop to a buddy...a perfect ranch, ATV and horse sidearm.

- brickboy240

(I have an El Paso Saddlery "Tom Threepersons" holster waiting for it, too!)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think if every gun owner got to handle and shoot a Ruger single action, then every gun owner would OWN a Ruger single action. I sort of adopted my dad's .44 mag Super Blackhawk a few years ago, and what an absolute joy! Shame, shame:mrgreen: on you for selling that .357. I'd like one of those myself; and I'm in the market for a Single Six .22 right now as well!

Jim

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to have a 44 mag Vaquero. Hard to control in a short barrel and I shot 44Spls out of it 90% of the time. Might as well have a lighter shorter barreled wheelie that is easier to carry and is easy to shoot and carries just enough punch for ranch needs. I am not going after mule deer or moose with the thing.

The 44 Special is a sweetheart of a pistol caliber and way underrated. It is very accurate and very easy to control. Some factory 44 Spl hollowpoints are within 100fps of the power of a 45ACP round and nobody argues the stopping power of that. The 44 Special is more controllable than the hotter 357 loads and not nearly as loud or with all that muzzle flash. Some Cor Bon 44 Spl loads are close to 44 mag power and you can load it down to about 750fps with a 180gr roun nosed lead bullet and its about as loud as a firecracker.

The 44 Special kind of faded into obscurity but if you look at it...it makes alot of sense.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
I like it! With the frame strength that Ruger's noted for, if is the perfect platform for the old Elmer Keith loads.

44 Special Heavy Loads

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Oh man, count me in for one (can't decide which length barrel I'd go with)

I love the .44 Special

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going with the 4 3/4" barrel. It will be easier to sit on the ATV, tractor or horseback with the shorter barrel.

My old 357 Blackhawk was a 6.5" model. Too long to sit comfortably with it holstered. Ditto for the 5.5" Vaquero...although it was a bit better.

Bob Mernickle makes a great pancake styled holster for single actions that rides high and has a tilt to it....ought to be perfect for a 4 3/4" 44spl Blackhawk. With that and my old Threpersons holster (left over form my Uberti 45) I will have the leather thing covered.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Excellent... let us know how it shoots!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I'm going with the 4 3/4" barrel. It will be easier to sit on the ATV, tractor or horseback with the shorter barrel.

My old 357 Blackhawk was a 6.5" model. Too long to sit comfortably with it holstered. Ditto for the 5.5" Vaquero...although it was a bit better.

Bob Mernickle makes a great pancake styled holster for single actions that rides high and has a tilt to it....ought to be perfect for a 4 3/4" 44spl Blackhawk. With that and my old Threpersons holster (left over form my Uberti 45) I will have the leather thing covered.

- brickboy240
The most comfortable holster I ever tried for my 5.5" Blackhawk was a crossdraw. It was great for horseback or seated in a truck or whatever. Pretty fast draw, once you get used to it, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts