Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at the gun show Saturday and first gun I almost bought was a VP9, FINALLY at least have handled one. Very P30 like (which is a compliment), great trigger, it was $599. So before I pulled the trigger on it I decided to look around some more. A dealer I know had a barely used SA Loaded 9mm he wanted $875 for, and a Kimber Stainless 2 brand new for $824. The Kimber was VERY tempting, it was very tight, very solid feeling, nice trigger, and while I'm not a big Kimber fan this particular gun really impressed me. Ulitmately I settled on the SA Loaded for $800 OTD, which I think is a pretty good price.

I got it to the range yesterday and had very mixed results. I only had my 115 gr reloads, which function 100% of the time in both my Sig 226's, my CZ75, and my XDs. In the SA I had many failure to fully extract and failures to feed. When I did manage to run a whole mag through the accuracy was dissapointing. I thought maybe I was having a "flinching" day, so I pulled out my X5 and made a one hole group, so it wasn't just me. I sand bagged a group and still didn't shoot it that well. I know that 9's can be finicky for accuracy so I'm going to pick up some 147 gr bullets and load them up and see if I can do better. I've also got new mags on order, as well as a new Ed Brown mainspring housing and magwell, a new mainspring to help lighten the 5.5 lb trigger, and VZ grips. So I'm not giving up on the gun yet and I'm willing to sink a couple of hundred more into it to see if the accuracy and reliability improves. I've also given it a thorough cleaning and Frog Lubed it so maybe that will help.

On other gun show sightings, they had the medium framed Sig P320 and I handled it ($550 bucks) and was really impressed with the feel and the trigger. The trigger especially was awesome, right there with the VP9. The full size 320 I didn't care for but the medium framed was really nice, I may just have to get one of them with the VP9. HK for $599? Wow.

Here's the obligatory pics, one if them is with my X5.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Nice!

I'm actually considering a 9mm RO; I'm planning on using slit with a Nighthawk .22 Conversion as well as the 9mm barrel to introduce new shooters to the magic of the 1911...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just brought mine to the range on Friday and was blown away at the accuracy. Put a nice 2.5" group at 25 yards.

Shot reloads without issue. My uncle shot it and had two stove pipes using his ammo (non-reload). No issues prior to him shooting nor after.

I did get some snap caps after my first time out to loosen up the trigger while at home. I found the trigger a bit "less than smooth" my first time out with the gun but after a bunch of pulls with the snap caps the trigger was remarkably better this second time at the range. I'm very happy with this pistol.

I think the cleaning and the lube will definitely help but keep us posted on your future mods and how they work out! Good luck!

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, yeah I'm not too thrilled right now. Kinda wishing I had got (*gasp*) the Kimber or gone ahead and gotten the VP9. We will see how it shapes up with some new parts and I'm going to run by Cabela's later and pick up some heavier bullets to reload and see if that helps.

Forgot to mention in the earlier post, I came awful close to getting a RIA in 22 TCM with a 9mm barrel and recoil spring for $625. Had an awesome trigger, felt like it had been worked on but the gun was new. The only reason I didn't is I really want a 9mm target / range gun besides my X5 and of course the 1911 is my favorite platform and I just haven't heard enough about the RIA with the conversion kit to 9mm. Sometimes convertable guns wind up being good with one round and not so good with the other and a 1911 performance is based so much on how the components match up.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Snap I've owned 4 9mm 1911s:
RIA Tactical
Kimber CDP Ultra
Dan Wesson Guardian
SA EMP

NONE of them would run with remanufactured ammo or bought reloads.
But they all ran 100% with any factory ammo including WWB.
I had bought 1K rounds of BVAC remanufactured 9mm a few years ago.
My Glocks and Sigs would eat it up, but those 1911s wouldn't get thru a single mag without a malfunction.

I also handled and dry fired a P320 recently.
Felt really nice, but I'm too invested in to Glock for my polymer needs..:cool:

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah I'm not too thrilled right now. Kinda wishing I had got (*gasp*) the Kimber or gone ahead and gotten the VP9. We will see how it shapes up with some new parts and I'm going to run by Cabela's later and pick up some heavier bullets to reload and see if that helps.

Forgot to mention in the earlier post, I came awful close to getting a RIA in 22 TCM with a 9mm barrel and recoil spring for $625. Had an awesome trigger, felt like it had been worked on but the gun was new. The only reason I didn't is I really want a 9mm target / range gun besides my X5 and of course the 1911 is my favorite platform and I just haven't heard enough about the RIA with the conversion kit to 9mm. Sometimes convertable guns wind up being good with one round and not so good with the other and a 1911 performance is based so much on how the components match up.
My conversion runs fine with both calibers, with the exception of 147gr 9mm loads...I tend to have about one failure per magazine. Haven't determined the cause, and I just stay with 115's or 124's.

It also prefers MecGar mags to Para...

I should add that mine is one of the original models that came with two extractors as well.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is way too much to pay for a recoil spring, IMO! ;)
Glad to hear that! And I was about to pay it! :p

Thanks 1LL and Cuda, I'll keep searching for the right combo. Or, worst comes to worse I'll sell the darn thing and try something else.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Congrats! :) I'm a big fan of the 1911 in 9mm too. I have several as well. Heed 1LL's advice though. I haven't had any issues with any kind of ammo in any of mine, but I haven't used in reman ammo in them either. I have used a bunch of reman ammo, but mostly in Glocks.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Glad to see this isn't a thread about some dufus in the toy department at Target.

That pistol sure is pretty.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Very nice. Hope you get the bugs worked out. I may have missed it, but are you going to run some factory ammo through it, as well?

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice. Hope you get the bugs worked out. I may have missed it, but are you going to run some factory ammo through it, as well?
Good question, yes just to see how it works. But if I don't have a good reload I can use I'll sell the gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts