Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I met a guy at the range that let me shoot his XDM 9mm. It was fun.

I want my own XD. :(

Odd thing though. At the end of the magazine, I pulled the trigger and it went "click". I figured it was a failure to fire, but it turns out the chamber/ mag were empty. The slide didn't lock back on the last round. :confused:

·
Registered
233 Posts
A weak round can eject, but not always kick back enough to lock open. 19 rounds of accurate blazing speed. The XDM is a nice item with all the extras and a good value . The free mags offered put you at 77 rounds carry in the 9mm. :shock:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
A more common cause for a failure for the slide to lock back on an empty magazine is "riding" the slide lock. On the XDm it's very easy to fall into this habit because the slide lock is fairly prominent and it's right next to your thumb if you using the "combat" (both thumbs pointing forward) grip.

The answer to this is to adjust your grip and pay attention to thumb placement. What has worked best for me is to place my thumb well away from the slide lock on the heel of my support hand. I tried using a "trapped thumb" grip with my support hand trapping my thumb in the recess in the grip but found this was "throwing" the pistol up and left during recoil, which made followup shots slower and/or less accurate. So I tried moving my strong hand thumb out and away from the slide lock and found the pistol rising straight up in recoil, which made followups a lot easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts