Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody interested?

It's the regular Bitone stainless/black, no mods, around 300 rounds.

I just feel like the Stainless slide is too much of a bling issue while carrying concealed.

What are your thoughts?

Any possible traders in the DFW?

Let me know.

:cool:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just feel like the Stainless slide is too much of a bling issue while carrying concealed.

What are your thoughts?
I don't think it is an issue. If it's concealed, it's concealed. My current carry is a Kimber Custom CDP II 1911 with a stainless steel slide. Only change I have done to it is changed the grips to black rubber ones and added a large black mag well. In the more than six years I have carried it I have not had an issue.

In the small chance your cover shirt gets blown open or rides up most sheaple are not even going to see it as they are not looking for it.

/tg

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree. Concealed is concealed. Maybe not a concern for you, but I also think the SS slide will not show holster wear as easily as the black model as there really is no colored finish to wear off.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yeah not sure why color would matter in CONCEALED carry... I could see black standing out just as bad depending on what you're wearing. The stainless finish is more durable from what I hear. And it gives character to an otherwise boring black gun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
And it gives character to an otherwise boring black gun.
Meh, I chose the all black model for just the opposite reason. I don’t think they look boring, I think they look mean.:evil: No nonsense, all business and no B.S. I see pics of these pistols with different color slides and shiny chromed-out barrels and they are pretty and I’m sure they make excellent conversation pieces but that’s not what I want. These guns are meant to be seen and admired. My gun is meant to be hidden, tucked safely away and out of sight until the time may come, though hopefully not, when I’m faced with a mortal threat and need to use it to protect myself and/or others and should that time come all I want them to see is the muzzle flash.

I hope that didn’t come off as too gung-ho, statistically it is extremely unlikely that I’ll ever need to use my pistol to harm another human being and I truly hope that it never happens, I just want to be prepared.:(

I’m also not too worried about a little wear, it just shows that the gun gets used and doesn’t just sit in the top of someone’s closet.

I’m wouldn’t worry about bi-tone vs black in any practical terms. Both should do the job just as well and given what I’ve read most conflicts will be over and done with before anyone has a chance to notice what color your slide is. As far a bi-tones standing out more, your holster will cover a good portion of your slide anyway especially if you go IWB in which case nearly all of the slide will be covered even if the gun is in plain sight.

I think it just comes down to personal preference. I’d say just keep it, enjoy it, and pray you never have to use it.:cool:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehhehe cool...

Well all you folks are right, concealed is concealed, however; I think the all Black XDM looks a bit more stealthy; but that's my personal opinion.

Don't get me wrong I like my XDM Bitone, and I conceal it well without any issues; I've never been made with it either.

The deal is that whenever I carry my XDSC all black I feel like if my shirt were to ride up for X,Y or Z reason people would have a harder time trying to make what it is:idea:

I don't know, I might just keep it for the sake of having a little variety.

Lets Just hope I dont run into someone trying to trade an all Black XDM for a stainless; I'd be in trouble then:mrgreen:

·
Registered
948 Posts
i love the xdm 9 black or ss but not for ccw.the sa 1911 45acp mico compact with nite sites,one extra mag is a dream!!!:cool:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i love the xdm 9 black or ss but not for ccw.the sa 1911 45acp mico compact with nite sites,one extra mag is a dream!!!:cool:
I've been eying one of those, but my local shops do not have an all black. If/when I find one I'll install some nite sights too...:eek:
I've shot one before and I'm pretty accurate with it at self defense distances.

The reason I like to CC the XDM is because I like carrying all of my handguns from time to time, and in a crossbreed holster, there's really no issues with it.
Also the high round count appeals to me.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I would have to agree that for a defensive purposes, all black is better. I don't like that idea of the shiney bling thing. Others are right too, if its concealed who cares, but they may be a time where you need to pull it and having the mirror giving away your position.. not good. IMO

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I typically carry a .45 Service in bi-tone. Concealed is concealed. There is no noticeable holster wear on this firearm.

As far as being caught in a "combat situation" where the color of my gun might be an issue, I'm pretty darn sure the muzzle flash is going to be a darned good indication of where I am located. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think we all do; what it comes down to is personal preference:rolleyes:
BIG +1 on that.

Do what works for you and what makes you comfortable. The important thing is that the choice to carry has been made and that you have taken personal responsibility for the safety and well-being yourself and your family.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
The important thing is that the choice to carry has been made and that you have taken personal responsibility for the safety and well-being yourself and your family.
Amen to that, brother ;) !

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
i got the bi-tone for the bling (is there any other reason to put up the extra coin?). my primary carry pstol is black on black though, although in reality i doubt it would make much of a difference in most situations.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i CC my 4" xd40 bitone everyday without any problems

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you really want a black slide instead of the stainless, why not just get the slide refinished (Roguard, Duracoat, or have the stainless blackened which is an option most folks overlook).

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
If you really want a black slide instead of the stainless, why not just get the slide refinished (Roguard, Duracoat, or have the stainless blackened which is an option most folks overlook).
thats a good option, you get the protection that stainless offers and get the color you want and then if you ever want to go back to stainless you will just need to bead blast it.

im not 100% sure if it can be applied to stainless but check out the IonBond coating, its really strong. springer precision does it. i have yet to hear a bad thing about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts