Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't decide what gun I want to buy. It would be for CC. I am looking at either a Glock 23 or 27 gen 4. I have an xdm 3.8 compact but I've decided I want something else. I already have a Glock 22 and I like the fact I can use most the same mags and holsters for the guns. Loved the XDM but I'm a Glock guy (sorry people). I'm also considering maybe getting a Kahr CM9 or a Sig 238. Starting in the summer I will be working in a job where if I'm gonna carry will need to be a pocket pistol and I'd like to have something light and small. The Sig 238 would probably be better than the CM9 as far as weight/slenderness goes. I do wonder if the CM9 would be light enough that I just "forget" about it. Ugh decisions decisions. Tell me what you think and no I can't buy more than one. Don't have the money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Have you shot the S&W M&P40c by chance (American made)? I used to own a G23C with 3.5 lb. trigger (nice trigger) but sold it for a XDM9. Don't like the angles on the Glocks as much as the XDM, or especially as much as the M&P's. I have not really handled a Gen 4 Glock though, but really, really want to.

One and half weeks ago I did the Gander Mountain Academy Pro V Sim 300 Simulation and used the Glock G22 (Gen 3) and it was really fun. While shooting the scenarios I didn't notice the grip angle as much, as it "does" make your mind work while in the threatening situations.

I've shot the M&P9c at least three times. One to two times for sure right after I shot the full size M&P9 and I shot better with the 9c for some reason. They were mfgr rep guns though, so they might of had 2k to 10k rounds through them, maybe the 9c had many more rounds and the trigger was just more broken in.

I have a M&P9L now with Apex FSS & Trigger (good forum posts) and absolutely love it. Blows every other plastic gun aftermarket trigger away, from what I've shot (limited mind you) to what others who have shot, and/or owned many others through the years. You can get the FSS & Trigger package at 5.5 lbs., but it is very 1911 like and if your not used to that style then most people would be safer with just the Apex DCAEK.

At my experience level, I'd have to really step up my holster game to carry a gun with the FSS & Trigger.

Since you brought up next summer, I think I'd go with the G27 Gen 4. I just don't like the Sigs that much, I've read a fair amount on them also. The Kahr CM9 I can't really comment on. I swear I've shot a mfgr reps gun before, would of been April 2010, but can't be sure, either way it or something, very, very similar didn't stand out. But I think it would be a good gun though, nice and small. I'd still give the M&P40c a look, if you buy one I'd only get one that's newer than Nov. 2010 though, a few very minor improvements. But why not get the updated one, just like the Gen 4 Glocks.

If you have awhile before you have to buy, I'd go to TheHighRoad.org, M4Carbine.net, mp-pistol.com, Smith-WessonForum.com and of course you already know GlockTalk. I tend to find different perspectives on the firearms I'm interested in, or thinking I'll buy in 1 to 1.5 years and then I can make a better decision. It seems like M4Carbine.net has a lot of armor's that post on there, or people who shoot way more than 2k rounds than most. Of course Brian Enos forum is like that too, from my very limited time on that one.

Good luck, and tell us what you picked and a range report, no matter what gun it is you buy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Since you already have a Glock 22, I suggest the 27. I like options with guns and having 2 guns of the same make and caliber, that is what you have. Ammo management is easier, the Glock 22 mags can be used in the 27 and take down / care of the guns is the same.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Since you already have a Glock 22, I suggest the 27. I like options with guns and having 2 guns of the same make and caliber, that is what you have. Ammo management is easier, the Glock 22 mags can be used in the 27 and take down / care of the guns is the same.
sounds good.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Glock 26 and 27's are nice pistols but hardly pocket pistols. I would suggest you go with the Kahr PM9 not the CM9 if you can afford it. The Kahr PM9 is more expensive than the CM9 but IMO worth every penny. The PM9 just drips quality with great fit and finish, and the black finish is tough. I own a glock 26 and a PM9 and there both good reliable accurate guns but when it comes to wanting to pocket carry, the G26 doesn't cut it. It's to big and heavy. I can't even imagine have it in my pocket all day trying to do anything other than walking or standing. Can't say anything pro or con about the sig as I never shot one. Good luck.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's one reason why I want to get rid of the SF. You're thinking along the same lines I am but at the same time if I work in a state where I can carry this summer I'll def need a good light pocket gun and I am not a huge fan of the LCP and other guns with a long hard trigger so I think the Sig is the option for pocket carry.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I can vouch for the G26/27 Gen4's :mrgreen:

·
Registered
569 Posts
MY G27 conceals very well IWB, but it isn't a pocket pistol. Mine shoots anything I put in it and is accurate.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Probably seems pretty radical, but I'd swap that G22 for a G17 and go with a G26 for concealed carry, although it really isn't a pocket pistol.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 26, but it's no pocket gun for me. Have you considered IWB? Unless it would get in the way or be inaccessible, it becomes invisible there.
I would be dressed in golf like attire. While a CBST would work because it's tuck-able, I wouldn't want people to see the clips because I would be wearing a tucked in polo and some of the work would be done outside during the summer so I'll want a pocket gun. Plus I'd have to buy all new shorts to fit the CBST.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts