Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my first gun show today. Good deals on ammo.(9mm) I could buy WWB $55/500 , Magtech fmj $105/1000, S&B $98/1000. All prices out the door. That's cheaper than Wal-mart(I thought that was impossible)! I'm so happy. I hate going to WM. I only go there for the WWB. $10.96+8.8% tax=$120/1000. Any opinions on the S&B? it has that red stuff on it like the Wolf ammo. What is it? Sealer? Why don't the other brands have it? I bought one box($5.25/50) to try it out before I buy a case.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bubbastain,

The red you see on the primers is primer sealer, to make it more waterproof. S&B has been in business for many, many years, but since they were behind the Iron Curtain after WW II, their products were used only in the Eastern Block countries. Your XD was probably test fired at the factory with S&B ammunition. At least my 357 Sig XD was. Some people have reported problems with it in their XD's, but since I only shoot my reloads, my only experience is with their brass, and it's pretty good quality.

Magtech is made in Brazil, and is also pretty good quality. I use some of their bullets and they are well made.

You didn't mention Armscor, which is made in the Phillipines. I have used their .38 Super ammunition, and while it's not loaded as hot as I like in that caliber, it was very accurate and the brass is still holding up after many loadings. Sometimes you can find it at a very good price, too.

Sounds like you hit on some good deals at the show. I wouldn't use Wolf Ammunition, as I've found many of Wolf's steel cases at the range that were split. It also leaves a heavy residue in the chamber and barrel from the shellac on the steel cases. I also don't like ammunition that can't be reloaded. Seems like such a waste.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I love Wolf and have never had any problems with it, it is extremely reliable and accurate. It is a bit hotter then the US brands, but US comercial loads have always been light loads. I have had problems with US loads, like groups being 3" lower then they were with wolf at 25 yards.. The new production is with a gray polymer coat that does not leave anything in chamber and the old olive laquer was ok as long as you cleaned your gun every 500 rounds or so. I agree that you can not reload it, but at the prices it goes for you do not have too. I am just upset that my range will not let me use Wolf anymore as they are too lazy to sort it with a magnet from brass. I have 6 cases I can't use anymore in my garage.

S&B is a premier european ammo manufacturer going back 180 years. Their ammo is used to test most european guns. It is reliable and accurate. I find the primer sealer a nice bonus. It does leave a residue on the chamber but cleans out with ease.

I may have to go to Puyallup and get some ammo tomorrow as I am low on 9mm, only 1600 rounds left in brass cased. Did you buy from Miwall?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do you have to pay sales tax at the gun show? If so the WWB comes out to almost exactly the same. If not the WWB is a little cheaper than WalMart. I've always used WWB in everyone of my pistols without a single malfunction and that peace of mind is worth a few pennies more than S&B or Wolff (not saying S&B is bad never used it before). All the ammo I have ever seen at any of our shows looks like it is 40 years old. The brass is tarnished, the boxes are faded or beat up just doesn't look factory fresh.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
bubbastain said:
That's cheaper than Wal-mart(I thought that was impossible)!
I guess you've never seen the discussions about CCI Blazer among us southern guys then eh?

brad cook

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of the two large ammo sellers, one was charging tax and the other wasn't. The prices I listed were out the door prices.

Dig Me, I have seen the post about Academy sports and the CCI blazer stuff almost as many times as I've seen my own reflection! (':lol:') Doesn't do me much good living in WA. I can just hope that Academy sports is moving west.

So, if I buy the WWB, I'll save ten bucks. I might buy a case of the Magtech stuff. I've tried it before and liked it. $105/1000.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Ever try Sportco in Fife? They are a sportsman's warehouse store. Guns, ammo, bow, arrows, fishing, clothing, etc. all under one roof. Members get case discount when buying ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
jgdean85
Just bought 1000 rounds at Academy for $77.00 after tax!
Be right back, I am drooling and have to go to the bathroom to spit! :x

Come on Academy, move out a little to the west. (Nevada)
The market is good here. OK! don't open a full fledged store, a tent in the parking lot will do. :evil:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
bubbastain said:
Of the two large ammo sellers, one was charging tax and the other wasn't. The prices I listed were out the door prices.

Dig Me, I have seen the post about Academy sports and the CCI blazer stuff almost as many times as I've seen my own reflection! (':lol:') Doesn't do me much good living in WA. I can just hope that Academy sports is moving west.

So, if I buy the WWB, I'll save ten bucks. I might buy a case of the Magtech stuff. I've tried it before and liked it. $105/1000.
Ok just makin' sure. ;) I didn't know if you meant that you thought it was impossible period or just impossible in your part of the country. :p

Congrats on the find BTW. Good ammo deals was about the ONLY thing I found at the last show I went to as well.

brad cook

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bass Pro Shops in Harrisburg PA has remington UMC for just under $12 per hundred pack. which puts it slightly more expensive than WWB but worth it for the increase in quality IMO.

I also bought 1000 rounds of 9mm NATO rounds made by federal at a gun show for $124 which puts it at about the same price per 100. This stuff is amazingly clean and shoots beautifully...

If you want the cheapest then go wolf... Winchester in 9mm valupacks is still cheaper than most other brands (not by much) and in .40, blazer brass is the same price per 100 as WWB at wally world. And remington and Blazer brass is the same price as WWB in .45 as WWB.

From what I understand, federal is coming out with new 100 round value packs that will compete with the winchester...

·
Registered
47 Posts
hobocircus said:
jgdean85
Just bought 1000 rounds at Academy for $77.00 after tax!
Be right back, I am drooling and have to go to the bathroom to spit! :x

Come on Academy, move out a little to the west. (Nevada)
The market is good here. OK! don't open a full fledged store, a tent in the parking lot will do. :evil:
Well, I have to correct myself- It was 77.20 before tax. Got the ammo, two sets ear muff protection, two sets of eye protection and splatter targets for 125.00 after tax. A cast after tax here is $83.00.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Still a good price! :cry:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got a case of PMC 40 for my tactical at the puyallup show for $145 out the door. walmart had the WWB in .40 for like $17/100 including tax. So the $145 for PMC is a better deal and better quality ammo. I picked up S&B 9mm and $98/1000 out the door is better than wal-mart out the door. wal-mart out the door is like $11/100. no more wal-mart for me either.

I agree that the only thing worth buying at the show is ammo for the most part. almost all of the prices on guns were rediculous. many were $100 more than what I can get locally. I saw the Bushy M4A3 like i just got for something dumb like $1100. i got mine for close to $900 out the door from Bull's Eye if memory serves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's kind of funny watching ammunition discussions from SD. I live in Rapid City, home of Black Hills Ammunition. Here, that is some of the least expesnive ammunition you can buy, especially if you buy the seconds or reloads. On a recent purchase, I got 50 rounds of 9mm for $6.50. Not too bad considering the source. Their new stuff is $8.74/box. And for rifle rounds, they are about the cheapest in town. It will be a tough blow when I leave this town and find out again that Black Hills is considered a premium ammunition brand and priced that way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts