Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
91/30 Tula 1944 round reciever. 135 and change OTD!

SO....now what?
Now go and get yourself a couple sardine cans of mil-surp 7.62x54R and go out and duplicate Vasili Zaitsev's feat at the Battle of Stalingrad... he had three confirmed kills at 800 meters in one day using a standard issue M91/30 with iron sights! ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like a good idea! You bet im gonna be shooting the crap out of that thing!!! But what I really was wondering was, cleaning the cosmocrap, the barrel, Inspecting parts that should be replaced before I shoot it. Its actually pretty clean. Not much cosmo on it at all compared to the other handfull I was looking at. Like this one is super clean. I didn't even have to wipe my hands after handling this one. The others felt like they were dunked in cosmoline just before they were handed to me. Ill definitely need to clean the barrel before I shoot it. And as far as ammo. I've been looking around and seems like I can find a can of mil surplus bout 400 rounds for ~ 80 bucks fairly easy. Anything I should get for it? Sights? Or the butt pad I hear is pretty much necessary.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
That sounds like a good idea! You bet im gonna be shooting the crap out of that thing!!! But what I really was wondering was, cleaning the cosmocrap, the barrel, Inspecting parts that should be replaced before I shoot it. Its actually pretty clean. Not much cosmo on it at all compared to the other handfull I was looking at. Like this one is super clean. I didn't even have to wipe my hands after handling this one. The others felt like they were dunked in cosmoline just before they were handed to me. Ill definitely need to clean the barrel before I shoot it. And as far as ammo. I've been looking around and seems like I can find a can of mil surplus bout 400 rounds for ~ 80 bucks fairly easy. Anything I should get for it? Sights? Or the butt pad I hear is pretty much necessary.
I thoroughly cleaned each M-N using brake cleaner; I first removed the stock from the receiver/barrel, then removed the bolt assembly. I used traditional tools & cleaners to clean out the bore after getting rid of all the cosmoline. I completely disassembled the bolt assembly, cleaned it in brake cleaner and reassembled. Lubricated everything that needed lubing. I used Old English furniture oil/cleaner and thoroughly cleaned the stock (all three of mine [2-91/30s, 1-M38] looked pretty darn good after some Old English TLC). After reassembling the bolt and replacing it into the receiver, I check head space with head space gauges made especially for the Mosin-Nagant (got a complete set of M-N gauges from Okie Gauges). ETA: Forgot to mention also check firing pin protrusion using the gauge that came with your rifle. ETA2: For deeper scratches in the wood stock, I used some (boiled) linseed oil to re-oil the wood, let that dry for several days, then used the Old English.

The only other thing I did was make a 4-stage cleaning set for shooting the corrosive mil-surp ammo. I keep a small plastic squeeze bottle with some water and a little ammonia-based window cleaner this is stage 1 cleaning to neutralize the corrosive primer salt residue. Stage 2 is some Anhydrous Isopropyl alcohol (91% IPA) in a plastic squeeze bottle; I soak a patch with some IPA and run it down the barrel to absorb any of the water/window cleaner residue. The alcohol latches on to any moisture. (Note: I suppose acetone would work just as well as IPA for getting rid of the water.) Run a few patches this way. Next stage (3) is good old Hoppe's Number 9; last stage (4) is some light oil. I'm sure there are other effective ways to clean the bore after shooting mil-surp but this is what I do. Good cleaning article at 7.62x54R.net.

You can find a decent slip-on butt pad for not much money (definitely recommended for an M38 or M44) but I'd suggest shooting the M91/30 as it... at least until you get accustomed to the feel of it, and imagine yourself a Russian conscript at Stalingrad, shooting this puppy a few hundred times a day, every day... a nice heavy jacket or sweater might help cushion your shoulder a bit ;) As for slipping on the butt pad... a little talcum powder helps make that task a lot easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts