Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you able to count your shots or do you find out you're empty because your revolver goes "click"?

On another forum, I felt better after 70-year-old former gun smith admitted that even he used the "click" method. Like me, he was too focused on accurately hitting is target to think about how many shots he'd fired.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Maybe you just need more focus like these crazy mofos! :shock:

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
Never thought of it.....I rarely ever run a handgun empty without realizing it's coming up on empty.........But not sure if it's just habit or ???

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey, we woundn't have one of the most famous lines in movie history if Dirty Harry could count and the .44 Magnum wouldn't be famous.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I count the rounds. 1911 or revolver don't have to count to high capacity 9mm numbers.

Try to practice tactical reload before slide lock. Revolver practice with speed strips and speed loader.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I have always counted. Never gave it much thought, but it's what I do.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I do a bit of both... i generally know i am out, but will usually pull the trigger one more time to be sure. helps with trigger control and practice from flinching.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
I count. In the SP101 it's hard to miscount but sometimes in the XD9 I forget and then I see why my shots aren't in the 10 ring! Embarrassing!

·
Administrator
22,444 Posts
I always have a general idea of how many rounds I have fired. I split my mags into fourths and guess about where I am; 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etc.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Just run a tracer on your 2nd to last round!:lol:

·
Administrator
22,444 Posts
Just run a tracer on your 2nd to last round!:lol:
We used to get 5 rounds per 30 round mag. They wanted you to have one every 5th round. I just put all 5 at the end and know that when I see red it's time to change a mag!

Reactions: sansooshooter

·
Registered
338 Posts
Easiest way, that never fails, is to just keep pulling the trigger till it don't go bang, then you know it's time to reload. Very simple.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking about how waiting for the "click" can tell you if you flinch or not. If you fully expect a "bang" and your hand doesn't move we know you don't. I've proven I don't flinch in anticipation of milder revolver loads (it's been so long since I've fired a Magnum that I don't even recall how I react to them).

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I'm the middle of a gun fight I highly doubt counting is going to be all that possible. I shoot till I get the click. If the slides back I reload. If it isnt Tap rack bang.

I like the tracer round idea.

sent from the german sheperd next to me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts