Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new high cap a week ago and yesterday. I loaded 13 rounds in it :shock: of course you can't get it to lock in with the barrel closed.
If i could find another 1/8 or even 1/16 of an inch I could.
But I would hate to wreck a 30 dollar mag :roll:
P.s. I did load it with a hks loader

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
They won't function properly with 13 in em.

The 1st round probably won't feed, or you won't be able to insert it.

Sorta like eating 75 hot dogs in one sitting. It can be done, but it has consequences.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mullanman said:
They won't function properly with 13 in em.

The 1st round probably won't feed, or you won't be able to insert it.

Sorta like eating 75 hot dogs in one sitting. It can be done, but it has consequences.
I relized it when i tried to lock it in with the chamber closed.
No it wouldn't lock in

·
Registered
415 Posts
The same as my Beretta mags. I can fit twelve in, but it wont insert all the way up the mag well. That is even with the slide back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I got 8 factory mags. Makes it nice for blasting a 100 round box of WWB. I load up 4 with 12 & 4 with 13. As long as the slide is locked back when you insert the mag they go right in and chamber just fine. And you don't have those pesky extras laying around...I hate that!

As for consequences...
Won't load with slide closed.
Could weaken springs faster if left loaded with 13.
Possibly stress feed lips with extra tension.
Yucky feeling as you jam that last one in. Feels like my speedloader
thumb lever is going to break.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm just throwing this out for comment...

Is it illegal to modify a hi-cap mag? On a mag I had for another gun, I was able to cut part of the follower off and it worked fine for loading one more round. BTW it was an old cheap mag. I heard a guy at a gunshow explain to another guy how to modify the follower and spring to get one more round in a mag. But, I knew that was illegal because the CBG was still in effect so i didn't even try it.

Thanks
J

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Arkansas said:
I'm just throwing this out for comment...

Is it illegal to modify a hi-cap mag? On a mag I had for another gun, I was able to cut part of the follower off and it worked fine for loading one more round. BTW it was an old cheap mag. I heard a guy at a gunshow explain to another guy how to modify the follower and spring to get one more round in a mag. But, I knew that was illegal because the CBG was still in effect so i didn't even try it.

Thanks
J
Depends on your state.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
You could take the base plate out and sand it down 1/16 of an inch, but it would probably weaken the plate. Just an ideal if you're going to ruin a $30 magazine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The difference in mags is usually the spring. The 17rounders just have a smaller diameter spring that allows it to compress more. It also wears out faster though. I prefer a stiffer spring with a couple less rounds for functioning purposes. The same reason I like stock recoil springs. When the springs are heavier it can lead to limp wristing in a less than ideal firing grip / stance. I want more slide velocity for self defense just in case. Just don't take it to far cause that can cause misfeeds too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts