Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9405A3B8-40FB-48A7-8EDE-AE5DDF6A93F5.jpeg
A98F5104-A42F-4F00-A956-811A79343CE1.jpeg
DEE05066-40CB-45AB-B5A5-67F4F83FC9D7.jpeg
5D8B5C65-EFE2-4BF5-B3F2-1EC1E5AEF312.jpeg
1DA38478-69B6-4A1C-8CD8-3EB2E86A004A.jpeg
Picked up a couple Ruger lowers last year and have been playing around with some different builds. I form 1’ed one of them and it came back finally. Decided to build a new HD gun and will relegate my other shorty for training/range. Started with a Ruger lower and a Daniel Defense LPK. Trying out a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch and BCM PNT trigger.

Buffer tube and stock are Both LMT with a Colt H buffer.

Upper is a Colt M4 upper with Colt teardrop forward assist Colt BCG and PRI Gasbuster CH. barrel is a Colt SOCOM cut down from 16” to 10.3” by ADCO. They also opened up the gas port to .070. Rail (for now LaRue but I may swap for a RIS) and a DD flash hider.

Optics are an Eotech XPS 3-2 and Eotech magnifier (weight I know. I don’t care about weight on a duty gun)

I haven’t settled on a BUIS set but I’m leaning towards LMT fixed or DD fixed.

Soft shooter with and without a can on it. Has about 500 rounds through it and has shown no issues with 55gr to 77gr stuff. I really dig it.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like that.

Really dig the teardrop FA.
Finding an original Colt was kind of a challenge. Wasn’t exactly cheap either

·
Premium Member
15,622 Posts
Why did you want gas port opened up and what's a gas buster CH

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
gasbuster charging handle is a charging handle that seals up around the area that the charging handle locks into. When you really start going to town with a suppressor on an AR, you start to get a lot of gas coming out the charging handle area right into your face.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because the barrel started as a 16” Colt with a .063 gas port. .070 is optimal on a 10.3” to run suppressed and unsuppressed

Reactions: John A.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a gas buster CH.
E779458B-6BF4-43A9-9EB9-AB0DD29DB1DD.jpeg

·
Premium Member
15,622 Posts
Cool... And yes charge handle, but what is it you like about it? Just curious.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s vented. When shooting with the can on you get less blowback.
C0BD3323-2C16-44AB-B58D-E422ADCCC6D7.jpeg
763BE822-55E6-4B77-8B97-B09AFF934CA8.jpeg

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Most places typically shy away from cutting chrome lined barrels. It tends to bother the chrome lining at the area where it's cut, which can cause premature wear from flaking and peeling. Much like how a truck bumper looks after driving it around for 20 years.

But I see that you spent a lot of time and money putting it together and I appreciate that. It looks really good and I have no doubt that it'll run.

I recently pieced together a retro'ish 20" rifle upper that's all colt except the barrel. I couldn't find an old colt pencil barrel in 1:9 or faster twist that was worth the cost or the effort, so I went with a Del-Ton lightweight barrel. It's such a sweet shooter.

If this is your first sbr lower, your world has just opened up for you. Being able to use calibers and stuff where shorter barrels are optimal. Especially for HD, are just hard to be beat.

·
Premium Member
21,764 Posts
Is this an SBR or pistol?

Also, if you shoot suppressed with a piston, you wouldn't have to worry about the blow back?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
You are correct about a piston reducing blowback in the receiver.

But shooting suppressed with one is loud due to the vented gas prior to the silencer and generally sucks for that use.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
[Trying out a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch
I really like it - got it just before my first shoothouse class and decided against putting it on, just in case I would do something stupid and cause a mechanical issue (particularly since I was putting it on a non-standard lower) or if it would somehow screw with my muscle-memory. I know, I know, I was really conservatively chickenshit on this one, but it was my virgin runs in the house, and I didn't want a chance of anything else going wrong. :p I knew my machine ran well, so I just kept it that way instead of having to worry about it. :)

I swapped it out - along with a new BCG (relegating what was then in the gun to a spare/backup) - for an intro-level class I took a couple of months after, and I've gotta say that I love it. The class did not cover stoppages, but working it dry, myself, the lower portion makes it much easier for me to get my "toe" on the latch to help lock back the BCG when doing single-handed stuff.

They're now going on all of mine, replacing the POF Enhanced, which used to be my favorite.

As a side-note, my daughter (almost 12) likes it a lot, too, and it's what's on her AR. The enlargement of the lower portion makes it considerably easier for her to lock back the BCG - to wit, she can't do that, with the other setups, because of her current size/strength.

and BCM PNT trigger.
IIRC, this will be your third PNT, right? You *really* love that trigger! :)

I haven’t settled on a BUIS set but I’m leaning towards LMT fixed or DD fixed.
Do what the cool-kids are doing now and just forsake it for the MWAL instead. ;)

OK, no, seriously, I have both the LMT and the DD, so I hope this will help you a little:

The main issue with the LMT is that huge clamp knob. Depending on how you like to run your light/accessories - which may be even more of an issue given the rail-space limitations on a SBR - there may be interference and/or clearance issues.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bumper chrome may peel but properly applied mil-spec chrome isn’t gonna when cut correctly. I found probably a dozen places to do it. Went with ADCO because they do it a lot. This is my third registered lower and I’m about 3 weeks into the wait on my 4th.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really like it - got it just before my first shoothouse class and decided against putting it on, just in case I would do something stupid and cause a mechanical issue (particularly since I was putting it on a non-standard lower) or if it would somehow screw with my muscle-memory. I know, I know, I was really conservatively chickenshit on this one, but it was my virgin runs in the house, and I didn't want a chance of anything else going wrong. :p I knew my machine ran well, so I just kept it that way instead of having to worry about it. :)

I swapped it out - along with a new BCG (relegating what was then in the gun to a spare/backup) - for an intro-level class I took a couple of months after, and I've gotta say that I love it. The class did not cover stoppages, but working it dry, myself, the lower portion makes it much easier for me to get my "toe" on the latch to help lock back the BCG when doing single-handed stuff.

They're now going on all of mine, replacing the POF Enhanced, which used to be my favorite.

As a side-note, my daughter (almost 12) likes it a lot, too, and it's what's on her AR. The enlargement of the lower portion makes it considerably easier for her to lock back the BCG - to wit, she can't do that, with the other setups, because of her current size/strength.

IIRC, this will be your third PNT, right? You *really* love that trigger! :)

Do what the cool-kids are doing now and just forsake it for the MWAL instead. ;)

OK, no, seriously, I have both the LMT and the DD, so I hope this will help you a little:

The main issue with the LMT is that huge clamp knob. Depending on how you like to run your light/accessories - which may be even more of an issue given the rail-space limitations on a SBR - there may be interference and/or clearance issues.
If I go with the LMT I’d swap the knob out for a flush nut. I like the PNT because while it’s smooth it’s not light. For a duty type gun a mil-spec-ish pull weight doesn’t bother me. It’ll probably end up with a mini scout on it.

Reactions: TSiWRX
1 - 20 of 64 Posts