Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me a while to realize it but there are no bargains at these things, you can get just about any accessory over the internet, some of these table "dealers" are about as reputable as an Old West snake oil salesman and know less about guns than your Aunt Millie in Akron. I guess if you're looking for an antique flintlock or something, they're the place to be but for a new gun, any local storefront can order you the same thing and probably for less. Factor in the cost of gas to get to these shows and you'll find that in even with s/h added, the internet is oftentimes a better deal. And no impusive buying of stuff that you'll never use. Just my 2-centavos. No. I've had it with gun shows No mas.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Either your local dealers are more reasonable or your gun shows must be really bad. Around here, the only competition is at the gun shows, most dealers will charge MSRP plus a fee to order anything. Our gun shows aren't what they used to be, but you can still get some excellent deals. I bought my XD from a dealer at a show for $419. I was able to look at every gun that I was interested in at that show and pick what I wanted. I looked at several single stack S&Ws, Sig P239s, Glock minis and some other compact guns before I made my choice. Plus the dealer didn't push me toward one brand like some of the big box stores do. I think that's what I dislike about the gun stores around here, they tend to push whatever the boss wants pushed that week. I have to admit that I wish gun shows were like they used to be, with big displays of guns with a lot of variety, from German drillings to row after row of the latest new guns.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was at the gun show here in Charleston WV, found the xd40 4" for $427.
bought some accessories there for less than what they were on the internet, but some items like the XD Gear range bag was $59 at the show and I can get it on the web for 45, so take the good with the bad.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So true. In my experience, you have to wade through 100s of crappy overpriced tables to find the one or two with items that are both worth purchasing and at a decent price.

On the plus side, they usually have a mind-boggling selection of jerky. :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very different depending on where you live I guess. Most of the stuff I see at gun shows is either pure junk or overpriced. The best deals there are had by buying from an individual that doesn't realize the value of what they brought to sell or trade. IMO gun shows are generally only good if you really know the best price of what you are looking for. BTW, I can buy a new XD-40 SC in the box for 408.00 retail here in the Atlanta area.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not me! I just went to one yesterday and even though it was an antique show of sorts, I picked up some ammo VERY cheap w/o sales tax and even better priced than walmart. WWB 9mm $10, Golden Sabre 45 and 40 for $9 and some Winchester Lawman Law Enforcement 50rnd box for $21 for the 124 +p or 127 +P+. I stuck with some 9mm Golden Sabre +P 9mm and 124 +P Winchester and finally GS 45 +P. Most wnated WAY to much for handguns but I go for the ammo and knives most of the time. I was able to pick up a mag for my HK USP 45 for $42 because it was missed marked. I still enjoy seeing the dealer's trying to sell a load of bull but then again there are a few there that I see everytime that offer great products and an even better deal. Sorry about your gunshow Kraigster.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigBob68 said:
Not me! I just went to one yesterday and even though it was an antique show of sorts, I picked up some ammo VERY cheap w/o sales tax and even better priced than walmart. WWB 9mm $10, Golden Sabre 45 and 40 for $9 and some Winchester Lawman Law Enforcement 50rnd box for $21 for the 124 +p or 127 +P+. I stuck with some 9mm Golden Sabre +P 9mm and 124 +P Winchester and finally GS 45 +P. Most wnated WAY to much for handguns but I go for the ammo and knives most of the time. I was able to pick up a mag for my HK USP 45 for $42 because it was missed marked. I still enjoy seeing the dealer's trying to sell a load of bull but then again there are a few there that I see everytime that offer great products and an even better deal. Sorry about your gunshow Kraigster.
Bob, glad you had a good experience. Going to a gun show for me is like going to COSTCO or Sam's Club with the wife. I can never get out of there without spending at least $200 on toilet paper that will last me through the Bush Administration, enough bottled water to cross the Sahara, a must-have flashlight kit, etc. etc. Well, you get the picture.

I think my only recourse is to set up a table myself at one of these shows and sell my Kraigster Grips! :D Now that would bring on the crowds.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I usually find pretty good deals at gun shows. the last one I went to, most people were selling service XDs for $389-$399. Of course I wanted Bitone so I have to pay $429. but I thought all the prices were good compared to most stores.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You have never seen a more pathetic sight than a gunshow in ©aliban.
Lots of jerky,jewelry,junk knives,overpriced ammo, hardly any guns.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
I like to go to one if I'm shopping for a specific gun. It gives me a chance to handle the gun and maybe some of its variations. Sometimes I find deals on ammo or accessories. But if it's something that can be ordered and the price is reasonably close, I'll keep buying guns from the local shops I have always dealt with.

bd

·
Registered
992 Posts
I only go to gun shows when I'm looking to do a trade. You never know if you'll find an interested dealer or private party. Like kraigster says, it is the place to be if you're looking for something uncommon. I also have found decent deals on mags at gun shows. Incidentally, the gun shows down here have more beef jerky than what I'm looking for! :?

B9

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The only show I go to here in Iowa is at the State fair grounds, over 500 tables and cut throat compitition on prices. Always very expensive for me though. Wife always makes me leave the debit card home. :cry:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Two months ago I went to the gunshow and bought some hard plastic knives "Execitive letter openers" to show my wife cause she is a TSA screener. Two weeks ago I went to another gunshow and did'nt see any plastic knives...did see some lighters disguised as little flashlights tho. I also bought a cool skull cap to wear under my cycle helmet. Usually don't buy guns there but have gone to the dealers's store latter and made a deal, that's how I bought my AR15. I do like to go around and fondle the various firearms...lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
I go to gun shows for the cheap ammo prices. that is about it. everything else is too much. i have seen guns there that i could go 5 minutes away to the my local gun store and literally find cheaper. At this point, I think am going to start taking a piece of paper, take a look at the item at the gun show and then go home and look them up on the internet. For example, a scope i found at the show and thought I was getting a good deal on I later found online for $30 less. that is a BIG difference! they are not the only game in town anymore. they need to adjust with the times.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
NiK said:
On the plus side, they usually have a mind-boggling selection of jerky. :wink:
Not to mention the 8 1/2 fingered man selling his own "Special Reloads". :lol:

·
Registered
156 Posts
synchro said:
everything else is too much. i have seen guns there that i could go 5 minutes away to the my local gun store and literally find cheaper.
As opposed to figuratively cheaper?

:)

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
galway said:
GlenncXD9 said:
Two months ago I went to the gunshow and bought some hard plastic knives "Execitive letter openers" to show my wife cause she is a TSA screener.
According to the TSA website plastic knives are allowed as carry on. Are you just trying to show your wife how there is always a way to get a weapon on?

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_5_16_2005_v3.pdf
I wanted to show her exactly what this newspaper article was talking about
http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/RoboLander_files/plasticknives.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
gun shows blow. i'm buying online from now on. no reason to deal with the crowds. prices aren't even good unless you find some sucker to trade. trades are the only thing worth the trip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts