Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't fired it in about a month. Got it out today, cleaned it down good, lubed it up and cleaned off the excess. Went to the range ready to try out the Remington 180 and 165 I picked up a few weeks ago. Gun ran perfectly for about 3 mag's, alternating between the 9 round and 12 round mags. Then suddenly it started Failing to Feed. Look at it, bullet is touching the feed ramp and the slide is touching the back-end of the bullet. Pull the slide back about 1/8" and I feel it seat. I tap it to get it closed and it fires off the rest of the mag without a problem. Switch mag's get about half-way thru it and it does it again. Same procedure and it works fine. Switch mag's ... you get the idea. Then it did something completely unexpected. Went something like this: pull trigger= boom, pull trigger=boom, pull trigger=boom,pull trigger=CLICK! Huh? Looked at it, the loaded chamber indicator was up, but it didn't go boom. Dropped the mag, racked the slide and the round fell out. Looked at it, barely an indention in the primer. I set that one aside, and forgot when I left.

I put 140 rounds thru it before I gave up. At least one round in each mag would fail to feed. Somewhere around 10 rounds did that. Not good odds. I am going to call Springfield and get them to tell me how to send it to them for repair.

Phaetos

·
Registered
409 Posts
:D Just lube it up. sounds like your slide was dry. Mine gets like that when I clean it :lol: , even if I lube it good, I never wipe off the excess on the slide rails.

Or your GR springs are just weak...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Polish the feed ramp. Did it happen with all kinds of ammo you used, or just one in particular?

Another habit that I got into (on advice from a friend) was to "slap" the back of the mag after loading it to seat all the rounds against the back of the magazine. Hold the mag in right hand, hit the palm of your left hand with the back of the magazine and listen for a "click" as they seat. If you only get a thud they're seated (or you didn't hit hard enough).

Don't know if that'll help you or not. But I would definitely give the feed ramp a good polishing.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Most of the problems I have had with the XDs that didn't involve broken parts or ammo have been a lack of lube. So, I second the above suggestion, lube it 'til it drips, just like a 1911.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I will try that, lubing it till it drips but that doesn't seem to be good for the rounds if they get oil on them.

Yes, I have tried different brands including Remington and American Eagle. They all seem to do it. I talked to SA and they think it might be a feed problem with the mags, but both of them seems to be unlikely to me. Oh well, that is my luck, karma, whatever you want to call it. I can buy something brand new and pick the one off the shelf that has all the problems :D

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
phaetos said:
Maybe I will try that, lubing it till it drips but that doesn't seem to be good for the rounds if they get oil on them.

Yes, I have tried different brands including Remington and American Eagle. They all seem to do it. I talked to SA and they think it might be a feed problem with the mags, but both of them seems to be unlikely to me. Oh well, that is my luck, karma, whatever you want to call it. I can buy something brand new and pick the one off the shelf that has all the problems :D
Many shooters of .22 target pistols put a drop of oil on the top round in the magazine every few mag loads to be sure oil is distributed throughout all of the working parts of the pistol upon firing. I don't go that far, but I have found that many problems with XDs clear up with application of a drop of oil down each slide rail slot.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like a lube issue to me as well. You might want to look at Gun Butter (sold at pistol-gear.com) I am a convert. A little goes a long way, and it does not appear to evaporate like normal gun oil. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I lube my barrel and rub it around with my fingers.
Lube the locking lug area.
Luve the barrel hood on all sides.
Couple of drops on the recoil assembly.
hold the slid and oil the rail in the center that the sear rubs against during recoil.
Hold the slide vertical and a couple drops down each rail.

Never had a feed issue

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I grease the slide rails on my XD.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
phaetos said:

Many shooters of .22 target pistols put a drop of oil on the top round in the magazine every few mag loads to be sure oil is distributed throughout all of the working parts of the pistol upon firing. I don't go that far, but I have found that many problems with XDs clear up with application of a drop of oil down each slide rail slot.
But they are rimfire and not centerfire cartridges, wouldn't that matter since the oil can get in the primer? BTW, I usually have oil seeping out the back of my slide when shooting, so there seems to be enough oil on the rails.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I suppose it might depend on whether or not you use reloads or factory ammo. I have deliberately left factory rounds in containers of water for two weeks and all rounds fired (non-sealed ammo, BTW). I have left reloads in water under the same conditions, also no misfires. But I think I'd trust the factory more. Not to mention, my use of "dripping" was a bit of hyperbole, "oozing" might be a better choice of words! Then again, maybe not :lol:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my XD is going to be off to SA first thing in the morning for RMA. They told me around 2 weeks. In the meantime, I will be purchasing my Bersa Thunder .380 that I have been wanting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had the same problem with my Service model. Try loading up the mags to capacity, then let them sit a week. Bet the problem goes away, mine did. Not a problem since then, of course my mags see good use.
Regards,
C1

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Corsair_001 said:
Had the same problem with my Service model. Try loading up the mags to capacity, then let them sit a week. Bet the problem goes away, mine did. Not a problem since then, of course my mags see good use.
Regards,
C1
They have been loaded up that way for since I bought it in September. Still no effect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts