Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was at the poolroom yesterday a friend wanted to show me the new tactical light for his XD. He purchased it over a year ago on my recommendation. Its a blue XD-9 service model. Well as he pulls it from his truck to show me...I gasped in horror. The finish was in places almost a hazy white. Looked as if he cleaned it with brake cleaner and didn't oil it. Yikes!!! Then as I looked a bit closer...sure enough, there was rust all over the grip safety, back of the rear sight, and on the back of the slide. I didn't want to disrespect him any further, my wife was already asking why it looked like that with her nose curled up! He said he cleaned it occasionally with Rem Oil. It looked bone dry & dirty to me. I pointed the areas out to him with a suggestion of what to do. He seemed to care less...convinced it would shoot fine should he need it. I actually considered asking him if he had actually EVER cleaned & oiled it, but bite my tongue. Goes to show just how important it is to take proper care of your firearms. Along the same lines I recently had the chance to look at my old XD-40 that I sold a friend almost 2 years ago. He layed it on top of his gun cabinet the day he bought it, and had not touched or fired it since. This XD had been cleaned and lubed with Breakfree by me the day he bought it. After blowing off the dust bunnies and a guick wipe down with a dry rag...it looked the same as the day I sold it to him. No signs of rust anywhere. It does amaze me how some people care for a weapon that may be used to save their or a family members life. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Good post P 'N P.

I would like to comment on those persons who do
store their machines in their vehicles - in the glove
box, arm rest, under the seat, map holders or
where ever in their POV.

It only happened to me once and that was my lesson
for a lifetime. I at one time always carried a firearm,
handgun or long gun, in my POV. I do not practice
that habit any longer because of the heat/ cold differential
between the temperatures inside the POV and the
temps on the outside of the POV. When the firearm
heats up during the day, it cools down during the night
as in cold weather - just the reverse. However, in all
instances the metal is warming up and cooling down,
thus creating moisture.

There lies the rust problem. Temperature differential.
I learned my lesson very quickly and it is one that I
have not forgotten and I share with all.

I do carry in my POV, but it is on my person, or in
a two dollar leather brief that I bought at a yard sale.

Ed

·
Registered
603 Posts
+1 to the temperature differential / car storage. I cannot carry @ work, so I had my XD in my trunk yesterday. I got to the range after work and for the first time since I've owned my XD, I saw surface rust on the rear of the slide, where I grab it to rack it. It was not bad at all and it wiped away with my thumb. Also, I had not cleaned my XD in a couple weeks and a few range trips, so it probably would have been fine had I done my part.

Anyway, I wasn't mad at my gun for showing some rust... I knew it was my fault. However, I also didn't care too much -- I still put some nice holes in a target after wiping the rust off ;) So, tonight's project after work is to do a thorough cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
mengelmar said:
Ed Ely said:
... in my POV...
Ed
Does it matter that all I have is a POS???
Sorry, I do not understand what your point is?

Ed

P.S. POV refers to Privately Owned Vehicle
Hope you did not see POS instead of POV!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man, I had you on that one and had to laugh a little. I had a POS once as well, and damn was I proud of it. :lol:

Mine only showed rust once down the left side of the slide, but I think it was from where I drew it from my IWB, brushed my sweaty side, and then laid it on top of my counter for a few hours while I was doing yard work. I picked it up in the moring and there was a thin layer on it. All gone now though.
IJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts