Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my LGS today where I have bought a couple of my XDs. There was a guy looking at a gen 4 glock and a XD. I know that the owner carries a Xdm and I was carrying my XDsc. The owner was telling the guy that the glock was a better gun (which was marked $130 more then the XD) Because the XD has 90 parts and the glock only has 34. So I called him out on it and he was none to pleased. I asked why he has a XD insted of the glock and professed my love of XDs to the guy looking. The owner just stared a hole through me. He made his money either way but why lie about it. I he is not that hard up for the money.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I was in my LGS today where I have bought a couple of my XDs. There was a guy looking at a gen 4 glock and a XD. I know that the owner carries a Xdm and I was carrying my XDsc. The owner was telling the guy that the glock was a better gun (which was marked $130 more then the XD) Because the XD has 90 parts and the glock only has 34. So I called him out on it and he was none to pleased. I asked why he has a XD insted of the glock and professed my love of XDs to the guy looking. The owner just stared a hole through me. He made his money either way but why lie about it. I he is not that hard up for the money.
Welcome to retail... the product with the highest profit margin (markup) is the one that gets pushed the hardest... going to the point of lying is ridiculous though, I would have called BS on that too:evil: If I hear someone giving a straight OPINION then thats no biggie, I might give my own if I feel like it, but LYING about a product? Yeah, I would find a new store;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I visited several different places (LGS, tactical store, national chain etc) and without exception they told me 'ignore the price, go to the range and shoot the things and see what feels best.' Of course, that turned out to be an XD. But to mislead someone like that, when someone's life might depend on his comfort level with a weapon, I think is not cool. Kudos for speaking out.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
May I ask what business an exchange between an other customer and a gun shop employee was of yours? I might have said something to the customer after he left, but I'd never confront a store employee like that. That's a good way to be banned from the store. And who said the gun store employee was lying, he may believe the Glock is a better gun, but may carry the XD for different reasons.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
he may believe the Glock is a better gun, but may carry the XD for different reasons.
What possible reason would someone who works in a gun shop (and can get any gun he wants) carry a gun he believes to be inferior?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
May I ask what business an exchange between an other customer and a gun shop employee was of yours? I might have said something to the customer after he left, but I'd never confront a store employee like that. That's a good way to be banned from the store. And who said the gun store employee was lying, he may believe the Glock is a better gun, but may carry the XD for different reasons.
Yeah, this is what i was thinking. Look into something before you buy it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Welcome to retail... the product with the highest profit margin (markup) is the one that gets pushed the hardest...
Sad but true more often than not it all business, not just firearms.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
I have found many gun store clerks know next to nothing about firearms. When I was in Cabela's last month a customer at the counter asked the clerk if the Beretta PX Storm came in .40 S&W and the clerk responded, "I don't think so." I did intervene.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Always good to know the specs and know exactly what you are looking for before you deal with retail. Gun stores are nototious for markup schemes. No your weapon and learn from experts before you even get to the store.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I always tell people to shoot what works best for them. I will guide them to the guns I feel are the best but make sure that they get them in their hands before shooting... I don't sell guns, but I have a few and I feel that my opinion is relevant. However, no matter what my opinion is, it is up to the guy with the cash... Test the weapon and you will see the light.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have found many gun store clerks know next to nothing about firearms. When I was in Cabela's last month a customer at the counter asked the clerk if the Beretta PX Storm came in .40 S&W and the cerk responded, "I don't think so." I did intervene.
Totally appropriate, and helpful, for you to interject some factual information that the employee admittedly lacked. I'm sure no offense was taken by the employee.

The OP's situation was different, dealing with the store's owner in the process of making a sale, in his store and I would view it as a bit impudent and inappropriate for someone to intervene with unsolicited opinions - and that's what these were - contrasting one man's opinion that this model is superior to that model, for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
Totally appropriate, and helpful, for you to interject some factual information that the employee admittedly lacked. I'm sure no offense was taken by the employee.

Both he and the customer thanked me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Competency and integrity in retail sales is hard to find at the best of times. It gets worse in times like these. Kudos to you for calling him out!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Good for you for calling him out. I personally would not be happy at all if I spend $130 more for a gun that IMO is inferior to the XD. $130 is a pretty big price difference too, i've always seen Glocks cheaper than XD's so I wonder what features or accessories the Glock had to make it the more expensive gun?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
But, was he lying...about the part count?

Lying implies intent to decieve - only he knows that. He was however mis-informing about a product which he is supposed to be the expert. (We know gun store counter help is often ill informed, but the general public assumes they know the facts about the products they are selling).

I would however assume that given his financial gain from selling the more expensive gun that he "motivated" to make the higher commission sale.

The Springfield manual shows 55 parts in the Xdm 9 / 40.

It is broken down as part numbers up to 55 in the frame and part numbers up to 43 in the slide. He might have been adding the slide and frame part numbers - not understanding that there are a TOTAL of 55 parts combined in the slide and frame. That 55 includes all three back straps and the 5 parts that make up the magazine. The gun as held ready to be loaded has 53 parts, if you only count the "gun" no magazine the XDm has 48 parts. But there are no where near the 90 parts the counter person claimed.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
What possible reason would someone who works in a gun shop (and can get any gun he wants) carry a gun he believes to be inferior?

:confused:
The gun may be inferior in some way that doesn't drastically affect his shooting. In fact, he may shoot it better than the "superior" gun.

Carry what you shoot best.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I often speak up when I see people shopping for guns and feel they are either not hearing the whole truth or have something I can add.

My favorite is when I hear someone asking the clerk for a "cheap" gun to carry. I often interject with "How much is your life worth?"..

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know what is up with these guys selling the gun shops. There is 1 close to me that I have not been able to do business with because I love all guns and from time to time I buy Taurus. Every time I go in looking at them they try to steer me to the Glock/ XD's. I have an Xd .40 service and absolutely love the gun. But why would they rather not sell anything rather than sell me what I want? I have several Taurus and have only had to send 1 back for a minor issue. I just don't understand!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts