Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Here's something you don't hear everyday.

So, my wife and I just finished relocating, and during the move my .223 ammo got soaked in Hydrogen peroxide. (My wife did the packing...) The boxes were all soggy and completely ruined. The brass itself has some black discoloration (which I think leaked off the black boxes), but otherwise seems ok.

Does anyone know if this ammo is still safe to shoot, or should I just trash them? It's about 300 rounds so I would really like to save them if possible. If you're curious, it's PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJ.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it. You could end up with a few squibs. You could pull the heads and the components, tumble the brass and reload them. Our give them to someone who does.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
shouldn't hurt it unless it got inside the case and got the powder wet. Just clean it off good with a rag and maybe some gun oil and try it out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2 Two parts hydrogen and two parts oxygen. The oxygen is what accelerated the oxidation process (the black you were referring to) of the brass and or lead copper etc as most metal are prone to oxidation. I am not a doctor, but i think you will be fine. Personally. I would take it to the range and fire it to see. I would think worst that could happen is the powder is wet and either would delay, or not fire at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you are going to be punching paper, why not shoot a few and find out. As long as you pay attention and don't go ripping off rounds should be just fine.
I doubt that its affected them really unless they had been submerged.

I'd shoot em and pay attention (plus keep a squib rod handy, just in case.) BUT Safest would be to pull em apart, if you are so inclined.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
The rounds will be fine.

I guess some of you never hunted in the rain. Or heard of Vietnam. It rained there.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
The rounds will be fine.

I guess some of you never hunted in the rain. Or heard of Vietnam. It rained there.
The logic.

Haha!

That gave me a chuckle.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
The rounds will be fine.

LOLOLOL!!

Succinct and to the point.

gotta love cannibul!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
shouldn't hurt it unless it got inside the case and got the powder wet. Just clean it off good with a rag and maybe some gun oil and try it out.

I fell in a *few* canals in Afghanistan, getting most of the ammo on me wet. When we got back to the pb I just dried everything and wiped it down with some CLP. Never had any problems.

That small of an amount of liquid shouldnt hurt it... unless its gasoline
:D :evil:

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts