Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am catching grief from everybody I work with that I am an unethical hunter because I use a blind and we also use feeders. They all say that we don't hunt deer we just shoot em like fish in a barrel. Of course none of them are deer hunters so they have no idea what they are talking about. This is the first time I've ever hunted this way. The last time I hunted deer was 25 years ago and we never used blinds or feeders back then. I prefer not to hunt this way but the property that my cousins got me onto is so thick with brush there's no way to stalk them. I need some ammo to fight back with. I'm getting tired of the assault I endure every day. HELP!

·
Premium Member
128,401 Posts
Deer are pests here in Ohio. I don't see anything unethical about "harvesting" deer from a blind. We do it all the time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Deer are pests here in Ohio. I don't see anything unethical about "harvesting" deer from a blind. We do it all the time.

I agree.
Personally I don't use a blind...but I am in Kansas. It would just look like a bump in the pasture.

Its different for us up here, we grow a lot of row crops. No need for a feeder. I guess if you feel ok with it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Better to have the deer harvested, than starving to death, or an outbreak of hoof and mouth, etc.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I use a deer stands typically, but see no problems with blinds. As far as having a feeder to each his own but i wouldn't consider it. Part of the fun is finding where the deer are at, plus it can be just as easy to find the natural habitat that they eat from and hunt around it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Here in Nebraska it's illegal to hunt over any sort of "bait". Don't know about your area.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I'm going to preface this with the fact that I don't hunt. Not because I'm against it, I've just never done it or have got into it.

IMO there's no issue really with the blind. Some people use deer stands. Waiting for the deer to come to you is no issue as I can see people hundreds of years ago doing the same thing.

Using the feeder though, c'mon. That seems like you're taking all of the sport out of it. Once animals find a source of food, they will continue to use that source until it's gone. Why do you use the feeder?

When I think of hunting, I imagine people getting up really early to freeze their a$$ off in hopes of getting an animal. I also imagine several trips of getting nothing, but they stick it out. It seems like with a feeder you want to go out, wait for the deer to come to make their routine, kill one and get back to life. This isn't hunting IMO.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everybody else on the place uses elevated stands. Mine is a stand that my cousin is letting me use but he didn't give me the legs to elevate it so it's just sitting on the ground. I'm not palnning on shooting the deer that are feeding at the feeder. I'm going to use the trails that they move back and forth from the feeder to the bedding area. To me thats the same as someone setting up at a watering hole or the trail to a food plot.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Everybody else on the place uses elevated stands. Mine is a stand that my cousin is letting me use but he didn't give me the legs to elevate it so it's just sitting on the ground. I'm not palnning on shooting the deer that are feeding at the feeder. I'm going to use the trails that they move back and forth from the feeder to the bedding area. To me thats the same as someone setting up at a watering hole or the trail to a food plot.
The difference, in my opinion, is that you have artifically altered the deer's behavior to give yourself an advantage. Is that a bad thing? Is it unsportsmanlike? Is it "fair chase"? Very subjective. Apparently, your hunting buddies feel that it's not exactly fair chase. On the other hand, as one poster suggested, the deer population has exploded over the last several years. They've gone from a nuisance in many areas to a true hazard.

Another consideration is whether you're hunting for meat or for trophies. Personally, I'd just as soon catch a trophy buck on my trail camera as I would shoot him. I hunt pretty much exclusively for meat. Would I knock down a trophy buck if he wandered into my sights? Sure, but that's not why I'm out there. If you're baiting in trophies, then I'm probably with your buddies. Definitely not fair chase.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ethics is such a subjective topic. All across this country various locales have their own regulations and customs that differ from others: bait vs don't bait, caliber restrictions, QDM, bag limits, Sunday hunting, etc.

Throw into the mix non-hunters who display an obvious bias against hunting in general and who, in many cases, know very little about the subject, and you have the makings for a very spirited discussion.

Whereas I respect another's right to hunt in regard to their own preferences, I would ask you does your method respect (a) fair chase hunting, (b) local laws, (c) humane taking of the animal, and (d) are you having a good time?

If those requirements are being met, as I suspect they are, I say go hunting don't worry about what others may think!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
As a fellow Texan, hunting from a tree stand or blind and feeding the game is OK. In all likelihood with the current drought in Texas, the feed is good for the herd.

Lord only knows how many deer we feed and never see to grow into trophy deer. I agree, the H___ with folks who don't agree. Hunting is individual and we all do it differently based on the region, the deer, & the terrain.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm mainly hunting for meat. We're allowed 1 buck and 4 does in the county where our lease is this year. If i don't get a shot at a buck so be it. 4 does will feed a lot of people. I can give the extra that I don't use to the foodbank.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
So they do not hunt but still feel they can tell you how to do it?
Find something they do that you do not, criticize them on how they do it, and if they say something tell them "well you don't hunt but feel you can tell me I am doing it wrong, how is this different?"

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
I don't generally hunt from blinds and haven't ever shot a deer over bait, but here is my take on it;

I don't know about TX, but here deer feed saves the herd by fattening them up before winter hits.
All you are doing with baiting is making an artificial feed area. How is that any less moral than hunting over a more natural feed area (apple orchard, corn field or clump of oak) if you have the opportunity?

As for blinds, consider it evening the odds for wearing blaze orange :rolleyes:

ps. never get into discussions about "real hunting" if you aren't talking to real hunters

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here in New Jersey they call deer Jersey Rats. Way too many of them. Here where it's a problem I see nothing wrong with it and in some areas hunting from an elevated stand is required.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As long as someone hunts within the guidelines of the local regulations, I don't care what they do. My ethics aren't the next guys ethics, and it's not really any of my business anyways. I hunt from a blind or stand, or still hunt, rarely over bait. I do what I think will work, or what I enjoy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm not a hunter. The only "shooting" I do is with a camera - but:

You using a blind and feeder = "shooting fish in a barrel"

Sooooo, them going to a grocery store; a store that bought from a place that lined up a bunch of cattle in chutes(!) before placing a pneumatic gun to their head = ??????

The answer to this may convince you to not care what they say anymore.

If you were hunting just to kill, I would have a problem with it; but the fact is that you are hunting for food. I don't see what the problem is.

·
Registered
791 Posts
only thing i feel one should do is only kill what you need, other than that..i could care less how you kill it.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
only thing i feel one should do is only kill what you need, other than that..i could care less how you kill it.
well, you should do your best to make it a clean kill. If anything blind and bait makes a clean kill more likely.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts