Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 783 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you hunt, and you have pics, post them here! I for one go out this weekend in search of the ever-elusive IL White Tail Deer. I hope to bag a couple. If I do, I will post them here.

OS

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Pics of the 3 Ducks I shot on Saturday October 15 2005
A Drake Ringneck and 2 Hen Redheads.
Saw literally hundreds of ducks on the lake I was hunting with two friends.
The dismal Waterfowl Reports in Minnesota are not true, at least on the lake that we hunt. I was 1 Duck short of my limit. The 3 of us shot 11 Ducks total.
6 Ringnecks
3 Redheads
2 Mallards

2 I shot within 10 seconds of each other 3 shots from my 870 with the Rifle Slug barrel and Federal Barnes Xpander Sabot slugs. The deer were at a full sprint quartering towards me after they got kicked out of a thicket during a drive we were doing. Shot at less than 15 yards.

More Deer that our group shot a 8 point basket buck, a 7 point high tine buck and a 5 point buck and a large mature doe that had a great amount of fat on her, almost 2 inches thick around the abdomen when we field dressed her.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Good thread

Sweet I just got back from a trip to Ft Benning. This was my first time ever hunting and man was I excited. It was crossbow/bow only and was set up literally right on an Ambush training lane. We first went in the morning and discovered the pack had cleaned out two plots, so after an hour and a half we called it quits and decided to come back at sunset. I am in a tree stand and the suns going down fast, my friend was on the ground spotting for me and let me know the pack was coming from the rear but I could not see them. Well damn if the sun didnt go down faster and right as I could barely see through the scope the pack made it to within 15 meters there must have been 25 of them all in a pack taking their sweet time getting into the kill zone. I have to say they were damn quite and I would have never known they were to the side of me if I was looking forward. By this time I am looking through the scope and cant see anything so I aim for a large group. Luckily just a bit more sun came through the trees and I aimed for the center boar. Snap and bang and then a thump I got him. Well now the sun is down and for about 2hrs we are tracking this boars blood and lost the trail several times and the trail went all over it was crazy. after about 100meters easily we find the boar laying in a thicket on a knoll....but there's a lot more blood now still going. We shine my light about 3 meters in front to a small creek and hot damn another one. Turns out since I aimed for a group the arrow hit the first one in the shoulders went through and hit the second one in the gut hind quarters. Two with one arrow. They were small and did not have any tusks for me to keep but for a first hunting trip awesome. Both were processed and are now in my freezer in all about 50 pounds of meat. By the way the processor Daphines in Columbus was awsome and were kind enough to hurry my stuff overnight for no extra charge. No if I could only go hunting in Wisconson next weekend since I will be there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ok since were posting hunting pics. here's some from my hog hunt this year. that's my guide, he took care of all the work after i killed it :D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Shot this buck year before last with a 12 gauge at 20 yards from the ground...

Shot this doe last season from the ground at 5 yards with a 20 gauge slug.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I got this lease 2 days before deer season.this one snuck out of the cedars and neck shot at 50 yards.made some tasty hot linked texas sausage.
pete

·
Registered
532 Posts
in the pic is a old win 94 30-30 that when my father in law passed away left me.I just put on a williams reciever sight on it.shot the buc with a win 150 gr silver tip.
pete

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took this 5 point with a smooth-bore 870 with Federal slugs. This buck was on a ridge about 60 yards out, between a couple of trees. He took about 4 steps before rolling down the hill into a shallow creek.

PS: Sorry about the blood. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
XD BACKUP GUN said:
Where you using the new Tru Ball Rifled slugs from Federal?
I used the Power Shock Hollow Point Rifled Slug. At 75 yards, I was able to get 3" groups all day long. At 100 yards, within 5 inches.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here's what I got for my many hours of early morning sitting in the cold Maine woods this year.

Nice huh? Oh well, there's always next year. :lol:

·
Registered
427 Posts
HOPEFULLY I will be posting some pics come Monday :D Was hoping to have some waterfowl pics for you guys but the geese are in a lull round here right now (been windy!). Hopefully Thanksgiving day I can put a nice resident Canada on the table! If not I guess turkey will have to do!

C'mon Monday, Gotta get me a deer this year!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well I went hunting for 12 days. On the day after opening day I was coming out of my tree of course I lowered my 12 with a rope to the ground I took two steps down the ladder and of course two doe coming walking in at this point I am 9 days into my hunting and no deer so I reach for the xd 45 service (shoulder holster) at roughly twenty yards out I level for a between the eyes shot (BANG) the bigger doe of the two (head snaps back and drops straight to the ground) the funny part of all this was the other doe's reactions she looked down at her fallen partner and then back up at me this doe never even ran or nothing just kept looking down at the other doe and back at me I would post pictures but one thing a winchester hollow point does is make a big mess.....

I also dropped a button buck and a six point after that not a bad second half of the trip///////

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Nice shooting Ron!!

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
the funny part of all this was the other doe's reactions she looked down at her fallen partner and then back up at me this doe never even ran or nothing just kept looking down at the other doe and back at me
Nothing against hunters but that's just the way some people react when they are hunted. Sometimes they run and sometimes they just stand there. Just an observation.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's the simple fact that the other doe had NO IDEA what just happened. Anyway guys.....This IS a pic thread afterall!
:lol:

1 - 20 of 783 Posts