Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a rant.

It's been bugging me for 2 days. Had a scary encounter w/a group of pheasant hunters on the wkend.

Took an afternoon ride on sunday to try out the new handwarmers and check for any leaks after installing the block htr on my new Arctic Cat TRV 650H1 I bought this past July (my other hobby). I followed my usual route I used all summer that takes me about 30 miles out and back around in a large loop. Most of this trail involves using the winter snomobile route already in place w/most sign markers still up - ditches - and prairie roads.

I ended up "sharing" a prairie trail/snomobile trail w/a suburban full of unbenounced to me - pheasant hunters. I figured they were out spotting deer, so I respected what I felt was a decent buffer zone, and stayed back about a 1/8 + mile so not to draw any unwanted attention, and made sure my headlights were on.
(I'm ALWAY very wary of once a year "let's get our guns and shoot something!!!" hunters) I assistant the range officer/firearm instructor(s), and help w/youth shooting program at our local gun range. Most of my extended family hunts, and I have heard WAY to many horror stories involving careless hunters and general stupidity with firearms. - So I was an guard to say the least.

We didn't get very far. I was waiting for an upcoming turn to actually get off the trail and pursue another route, when the suburban slammed on its brakes and 4 guys jumped out and started blasting away w/shotguns at some pheasants that got stirred up. One of them in my direction.

OH crap!

He shot right over my head! Not once - but twice! THEN he noticed me.

After I looked up from hanging off the side of the TRV, and made sure the windshield or I wasn't peppered w/ bird shot, the bunch of them very casually sauntered back to the suburban and drove it into the ditch and waited for me to make a move.

The one that shot over my head shouted something to the rest, and walked towards me.

So I sat on my machine and pondered.......hmmmm....now what?

I let him close the distance and come to me. I'm pretty even tempered for the most part, but this guy must of seen I was NOT PLEASED to say the least. I never shut off the machine - (4 unknowns armed w/shotguns - me w/my XDsc 9mm CC) and he started apologizing profusely immediately when he got into ear shot.

Gritting my teeth, I told him I was FINE, and asked just WHAT exactly he thought he was doing? I then proceeded to tell him that he and his buddies give hunters a bad name, and out of sheer frustration actually asked him in my most patronizing tone - what part of the basic hunter safety did he not seem to understand? - yep I was a tad upset

He gave me a blank stare - "What?"

Keeping my temper in check I added : "You know - The one that says : Be Sure of Your Target - AND WHAT LIES BEYOND IT! "

He stammered a bit then tried to explain he never saw me..yadda..yadda..... and that he wasn't from around here........and doesn't hunt in this area.......back pedaling all the way.

Taking a glance to see what his buddies were doing - all sittting in the truck hoping I wasn't the game warden and in hopes I'm sure of NOT reporting them - I told him how lucky he & his buddies were that I wasn't a game warden, and that he DIDN'T hit me or my machine. That ATV'rs like myself use this trail all the time, and posted land on both sides of the trail I'm pretty sure doesn't mean he can USE the trail to shoot at stuff on those posted property.

He apologised again, and asked again if I or the machine were ok. I told "we" were.......and before I could say anything else or actually make up my mind IF I should report them.... more weekend warrior hunters out of eyesight on the same trail up ahead, started blasting away. That was it for me, I swore, shook my head, and I drove off back the way I came with my head down.

Unbelieveable!!

Needless to say - DEER HUNTING rifle opens on Fri.......the Kitty is put away and I'm not venturing out till Jan.

DUMB. - there I vented.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Man - that was close. I think you handled that well considering...
We don't even try to trail ride with the horses around here once deer season starts.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
WEAR ORANGE!!! :rolleyes:

I'm glad you didn't get hurt...

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Is it legal in ND to hunt from a vehicle?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No.

If the land is posted on BOTH sides of the prairie road or township line you can't shoot INTO that property either. One of the reasons I was RIDING on that trail sunday. (hunters...na there won't be any hunters...)

After talking to a co-worker who works closely with ND Game & Fish, I'm going to make a call and report the incident. I may be too little too late..... cause I didn't feel it was wise to get any closer to get a plate # :shock:... but maybe they'll do a little more patroling in that area, and crack down on these dummies.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Glad you're OK man!! Good to see another ATV'er on here like myself.:)

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
how loud is your atv, put some open pipes on that sumbitch, ot disconnect the exhaust for hunting season, wear orange.

no excuse, in fact if you returned fire i wouldnt have blammed you.

thats some piss poor hunting on their part. They deserve a whupping if not a shot to the foot or leg.

And for birds? not some trophy record breaking buck, flipping birds. Good god. Some folks, they are really asking for it.

I woulda asked the guy what he thinks i woulda done if he hit me, i would have to be digging 4-5 holes in the woods if the bastard shot me.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
It is a sad fact of life to some guys a good time is to once a year get all tanked up and shoot at anything that moves, no matter how illegal or dangerous or rude.

It's why I quit hunting until I move to someplace a lot more rural.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Definitely wear orange. I always do during hunting season in the woods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts