Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I would assume as low as possible. I can't imagine any level of humidity being beneficial, even if isn't low enough to do harm. I'd aim for as low as you can achieve.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am in Florida and the humidity even on a good day with the A/C on is around 55% in the house. I have tried to use a Safe Dehumidifier that is for 55 cubic feet of safe space, but it will be saturated with in 24 hours. I do at times find rust spots on my blued rifle and the sights on my shotgun. The best advice as far as humidity goes is, put a good coating of gun oil on your firearms before you store them.

I will say I have not had issues with my XD or better coated firearms, that have the better metal treatments. Oil is your best friend despite whatever the humidity levels are in your area.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As already stated, the lower the better. I keep a dehumidifier and a large desecant packet in my safe. It stays around 50% and have not noticed any rust spots on my guns. However, I very liberal with the oil on guns that do not get used alot.

·
Registered
542 Posts
As already stated, the lower the better. I keep a dehumidifier and a large desecant packet in my safe. It stays around 50% and have not noticed any rust spots on my guns. However, I very liberal with the oil on guns that do not get used alot.
:rolleyes: what he said! + 1 :rolleyes:

When you close a safe, the air stops moving. This causes the water vaper in the safe to settle on everything in the safe. It wont be like someone threw a cup of water on everthing. I have for the fun of it taken an outside electronic temp and humidity reader and stuck it in my safe. The humidity will actually rise once the safe is closed.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Depends a lot on the storage temp. Relative humidity about 40% (inside safe) should be ideal at normal comfortable indoor temps. About 50% is what most will hope to have on a year round average. Too low can cause cracks in wood stocks/grips. So it really depends on the firearms being stored. Poly frames should have no problem with either low or quite high humidity. Metal likes it low for minimum oxidation. Never put away a cold firearm into a warmer safe - instant condensation. If temp change is gradual so metal does not lag far behind the air you should be OK. Even a basement (gun cleaning) to living area storage temp change. Allow the firearm and any gun carry case to adjust before storing. Best not to store a pistol in a leather holster for long term. The leather can hold moisture. Open cell foam liners can be bad with moisture retention.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I likewise live in Florida and you can't escape the humidity. I use Eezox and have never had an issue even after leaving a gun in the safe for over a year without cleaning. The pistol was left in carry ready mode which means not overly saturated with lube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts