Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I found an out of the way gun shop today that I've never been to before. Stopped in to see what kind of deals they might have. I found a used Huglu O/U 20ga shotgun. Entire receiver and trigger guard are covered with engravings. Very beautiful gun. Guy wants $450 for it. It is nearly new, with the exception of a dime sized scratch near the muzzle. Gun comes with 7 chokes.

This looks like a decent deal if I an re-blue the barrel. Does anyone have any experience with Huglu shotguns? I've heard that they are similar to CZ's.

(I removed the OEM pictures form this original post since I have actual photos below.)

**SEE PICTURES BELOW**

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Great, great guns. They are exactly like CZs, because they are CZs. I don't think Huglus are made under that name any more, because they're made for CZ now. They're Turkish-built guns that are very similar in quality to a base Citori. Way, way better than other guns in the same price range (Mossberg Silver Reserve, Stoeger, etc.). $450 for a 20 engraved like that is a good price, but I'd go to the bank, take out 4 hundred dollar bills, stop by the shop, put them down and tell him that's all you got. I guarantee he'll take it.

I love my CZ, and I paid $550 new and got a great deal. If you have use for a O/U 20 Ga, I'd jump all over it!! Mine has that same bird medallion on the top, by the way.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have use for a O/U 20 Ga, I'd jump all over it!! Mine has that same bird medallion on the top, by the way.
Do I need a use for one to buy it? :p I'm thinking this might be a good gun for clays and small game. Being that its a 20ga. it might also be easier for my wife to shoot if she wanted to try clays some time.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I've owned a Huglu (pronounced "hooloo" I believe, the "g" is silent per a Turkish friend of mine) for roughly ten years now, I purchase one from a member of the Airforce, he brought several back with him (legally) from Turkey to give to friends. It's a great gun, it's no Red Label but it's a great gun nonetheless. I really don't know why Turkish guns get a bad wrap...some of the best firearms (including Xds) are no longer Made in the USA.

I agree...take 400 with you...no more...no less...put'em down on the counter and be prepared to walk away....the shop will deal.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow I'm going to go down and do some wheeling and dealing to see if I can get the price down at all. Even at $450 this is still probably a decent deal.

So here is my question...

This gun is a 20ga. I've never used a 20ga. and am anticipating using this gun for both small game and for skeet shooting. For either of these uses, does a 12ga. have much advantage over a 20ga? I'm assuming that because a 12ga. can have more pellets per load, you would have a better chance with a 12ga. With that said, is it safe to say that a 20ga. is still fine for skeet and small game? I'm sure I'm probably over-thinking this one.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
In my opinion, a 20 is fine for skeet where the shots are close and quick. Sporting clays or trap will be harder simply because the ranges are longer. Remember, a pattern from a 12 and 20 with the same choke is basically the same diameter, but since there are fewer pellets in a 20 ga load, there will be less pellet density in the pattern, more holes for the clay to sneak through, etc. You may have to choke up a size or 2, and then you have to be more precise with the shot.

When you say small game, you mean like squirrels or rabbits? a 20 should be fine. Even for quail, doves, etc., you'll be fine. Just choke up for the birds and hope you're a good shot.

I hunted doves with a guy last year who had a 28 ga and a full choke. He was smoking them out to 45 yards or so, which was putting me and my 12 ga to shame since I had forgotten to switch chokes and was trying to tag high flyers with Skeet 2 and Improved Cylinder chokes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A lot of people shoot clays with 1oz loads.....an ounce is an ounce. Doesn't matter if it's 12 or 20ga, an ounce load will have the same number of pellets for the given shot size.

Sorry to disagree with others but, if you do some research I believe you will find that a 20ga & a 12ga pattern differently even with the same choke constriction....a 1oz load of 12ga is shorter & larger in diameter than a 10z load of 20ga so will pattern larger if I remember correctly.

I'm using the 1oz comparison because that's about as heavy as you can get with 20ga & it's a pleasant load to shoot in 12ga.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Sorry to disagree with others but, if you do some research I believe you will find that a 20ga & a 12ga pattern differently even with the same choke constriction
Well, I'm no expert but all the gun guys I've ever talked to, including the serious shooters I shoot league with, are under the opinion that gauge has negligible effect on pattern diameter (different than density).

Layne Simpson seems to agree.

20 Most-Asked Shotgun Questions Answered by an Expert - Page One

No. 5
Does The 12 Gauge Shoot A Bigger Pattern?
How much larger in diameter is the pattern thrown by a 12-gauge gun than a 20-gauge gun with the same choke?
Everything including the degree of choke constriction being the same, gauge has nothing to do with pattern size. At any given distance patterns from the 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, and .410 will measure approximately the same diameter so long as they are choked the same. The only exception is when extremely soft shot is used. Smaller bores sometimes throw slightly larger patterns with extremely soft shot due to a higher level of pellet deformation during firing, but the difference is seldom great enough to make a difference in the field.

You're correct that a 1oz load of #8s in a 20 ga should have the same number of pellets as a 1oz load of #8s in a 12 ga, but the average skeet load in a 20 ga isn't the same weight as an average skeet load from a 12. The 20 ga is usually lighter with fewer pellets.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... I picked it up today on my lunch break. Below are pictures. Overall, a very beautiful gun. You can see a scuff near the muzzle of the barrel. I'm hoping to touch this up with some bluing. Other than that, this is a flawless gun. I can't wait to put a few rounds through it this weekend.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up paying $450 for it. Price was originally $500 but he would only come down to $450. I honestly don't think he knew what he had. I looked online for used Huglu O/U's and couldn't find a used gun much under $750 with similar amount of engravings. $450 puts you in the range of their used lower end models. Their website shows MSRP around $1150, so I'm thinking I did pretty good.

Now its time to head to WalMart and pick up some target loads and some clays. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
You didn't do pretty good....ya did freaking GREAT! Your Huglu has a a whole lot more engraving, single trigger and multiple chokes. I paid 350 for mine 10 years ago, an early model with far less engraving, double triggers and fixed chokes.

Ya did great....enjoy!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Wow. I have been looking for exactly the same set up, except the in the Red Label variety. But you got a great deal on that O/U.

Much nicer than a closely priced Mossberg or Stoeger.

I hope you like that.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This gun came with 7 chokes. I'm hoping to have time to pattern them this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
This gun came with 7 chokes. I'm hoping to have time to pattern them this weekend.
You'll find the time....cancel all your other plans if you have to.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You'll find the time....cancel all your other plans if you have to.
Brother-in-law is working on building a house and I'm planning on giving him a hand this weekend. But... all work and no play means I've missed out on the weekend.

Besides, I'm sure he wouldn't mind crankin' off a few rounds during breaks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts